Part 4- All you ever need to know about fragrance continues

(1000 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:55:37
ChocsAwayInMyGob Fri 10-May-13 17:29:58

Dzing so does smell of manure! Its smells of horses and manure! But don't let that put you off since manure is made of straw so it's not an offensive smell like say, dog poo.

Frugal- it's interesting what you say about Jasmine. When used as a co-ingredient, it reminds me of downstairs loo- all flowers over poo.

However, when I tried Serge Lutens Sarrasins recently,which has Jasmine as dominant, I fell in love with it. Narcotic is exactly the right word. It was like a spell! No indolic notes at all, it made me think of a flower garden at midnight.

coffeeinbed Fri 10-May-13 17:49:40

Fecal notes usually just means jasmine.
Some people are lightweights.
grin

CointreauVersial Fri 10-May-13 18:15:41

I also think "toilet cleaner" when I smell jasmine. When I did that perfume workshop a few months back we were given a perfume to smell which was jasmine-based, but minus the indoles. I can't remember what it was, but it was quite pretty. All of the flower, none of the poo!

coffeeinbed Fri 10-May-13 18:18:23

The Annick Goutal Jasmin is like that, pretty and clean.

ToysRLuv Fri 10-May-13 18:45:07

Actually I don't mind the smell of horse poo. In fact I quite like it (I'm a horsey person), but I think that Luca Turin has instilled in my head a bit too permanently that Dzing smells of old books. I want to own a perfume that smells of books! Still want to try CB's In the Library some day..

ChocsAwayInMyGob Fri 10-May-13 20:25:36

I found that Caron Tabac Blond reminded me of old books. It smells leathery and of old, unlit fags, but I had a vivid picture of a bookshop in Hay on Wye, all yellowed pages and dust. Gorgeous.

coffeeinbed Fri 10-May-13 20:38:14

My book fragrance is Hiris - it makes me think of paper.
Not dusty, not old - still paper.

ToysRLuv Fri 10-May-13 20:46:26

That's funny, because I've been curious about both Tabac Blonde and Hiris..

Fuckitthatlldo Fri 10-May-13 21:43:24

I'm going to try some Tabac Blond in my next order of samples.

Have just got out of my bath and put some Ambre Sultan on. The spicy amber smell is beautiful, no doubt, but it's got this weird dried oregano thing going on over the top of it. Hmm, dunno about that. Will give it time but much prefer LADDM so far.

Haberdashery Fri 10-May-13 22:28:40

Frugal, I'm still here and reading but have nothing to report. I have been a bit stumped for perfumes in the recent warm weather so just sticking to Envy, Ninfeo Mio and Premier Figuier with a side order of No 19 (which is good whatever the weather). I've found the things I loved in wintery weather just aren't doing it for me at the moment. I wore Norne the other day and felt a bit inappropriate (saving it for Christmas). I'm not sure what I want to try next. I need something a bit more summery. Suggestions welcome!

CointreauVersial Fri 10-May-13 22:33:46

Fuckit - yes, it's definitely herbal; I found it quite a "savoury" smell, IYSWIM.

I was very underwhelmed by Caron Tabac Blond; it smelled very dated to me, and I swapped the rest of my sample. I concluded I prefered the more modern tobaccos, like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanilla.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Sat 11-May-13 09:49:12

Fuckit- I hated Ambre Sultan. It smelled like weed. Must have been the Myrrh and the resin. Never again.

Merle Sat 11-May-13 09:54:34

Please could I ask for suggestions for my next purchase - you all have considerable collective wisdom.

I buy perfume about once a year (saved Boots points). I currently wear Miss Dior and Prada Infusion d'Iris. What else might I like?

Merle Sat 11-May-13 09:59:02

Please 'may'

FrugalFashionista Sat 11-May-13 10:46:38

No need to dab on more perfume today - some Loretta still on my sleeve wink

Tabac Blond is weird. I like the extrait (it has a bit of old fur coat vibe but felt exciting and sensational and revolutionary considering its age) but then I foolishly bought some modern EdP and it's unwearable, carnation from hell. Narcisse Noir is a similar story. I bought a 1ml decant of extrait, thoroughly enjoyed the heavenly orange blossom note, but about half ml into to the vial, the topnote was gone and I hit a screechy spice-rack of cloves and other jarring smells. Carons can be disturbingly uneven!

Haber I cannot wear my heavy leathers, ambers and heavy-hitters like Norne in the summer. For some reason, I love the herby/soapy/bitter-tinged density of Antaeus and Yatagan and Eau des Iles (by Maitre Parfumier et Gantier) in the summer, especially on cooler and rainier days. Antaeus is super simple to sample, just about any place that sells perfume has it carries it (men's department, Chanel). And if you like Norne and piney smells, Yatagan is definitely worth trying (but cannot guarantee you'll like it - it's extremely divisive). It's often bargain basement stuff but if you have a hard time locating a tester, Les Senteurs sell Yatagan samples.

My other summer staple is simple colognes, the more I smell, the more I learn to appreciate them. I particularly love colognes with prominent neroli and petitgrain notes. Will probably buy Acqua Allegoria Nerolia Bianca later this week. Have listed lots of them upstream but sampling Eau Sauvage by Dior (also men's department) will give you an idea: herbs, petitgrain, a megadose of radiant hedione on a vetiver base. Encre Noir by Lalique and it's fancier brother Sycomore by Chanel also worth sampling if vetiver is your thing. In fact, with your unusual and sophisticated taste, going through the shelves in the men's department randomly smelling whatever takes your fancy (on strip first!) may result in some great discoveries. I love old man perfumes burly 1970s fougeres like Azzaro pour homme.

Could someone advise Merle?

ToysRLuv Sat 11-May-13 12:56:46

Merle: People have likened the Prada infusion to Chanel no 19, so maybe try that? It's a classic - clean and beautiful. Not sure what else to suggest right now. Have you tried anything in a shop that you liked? Have you tried Chance or Dune?

Merle Sat 11-May-13 13:01:11

Toys no I haven't tried anything yet, I've just been saving up. Those three will narrow it nicely, thanks; it would have been overwhelming to have to try loads.

ToysRLuv Sat 11-May-13 13:03:28

Sotd: Saffran Troublant. Very weak on my, but yummy when I catch a whiff..

Annoyed I missed an auction on e-bay for a 10 ml decant of En Passant. It was very bargainous, as well. <kicks self for indecisiveness> Anyone else interested in splitting an order for a pack of 3 x 10 ml travel sprays from les senteurs? <begs>

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 11-May-13 13:24:47

Will give it some more tries but definitely don't think I'm going to be a fan of Ambre Sultan either Chocs. The combination of herby top and sweety bottom just isn't working for me. Even the sweet ambery notes can smell a bit play doughy and synthetic at times to me, possibly because they just jar a bit next to the dried oregano. It's like there's two separate perfumes going on, and they don't go together at all. What a shame. I really wanted to love it. sad

Never mind, at least I have found something I really love in LADDM.

And I've still got my Arabie and Shem el Nessim to try.

I had some problems buying online off Les Senteurs last night. Has anyone else ever experienced problems with their website?

coffeeinbed Sat 11-May-13 13:43:03

Are you after an amber, Fuck it?
have you tried the Parfum des Merveilles or the Ambre Des Merveilles?
they don't have any herby and spicy notes.

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 11-May-13 13:51:32

Yes I do love ambers coffee. Thank you for the suggestions smile Who makes the perfumes you suggested please? I'll order some samples.

I'm actually going to London in a couple of weekends time. So thought I would pop in in person to Les Senteurs. I'll be on my way to see my mother who is having treatment for breast cancer at the moment. The prognosis is excellent and she's going to be fine, but the chemo is obviously making her feel grim and she's lost her hair sad

I thought perhaps some beautiful samples from Les Senteurs would be a lovely pressie to take to lift her spirits. Will they gift box things for you and make it look pretty does anyone know?

fuckit I don't at all mean to sound patronising but do be aware that chemo can change a persons sense of smell as well as sense of taste so be careful what samples you choose. My mum passed away from cancer 18 months ago and her sense of smell was extremely sensitive so I speak from experience.

I hope your Mum recovers soon and that she's getting the best of care.

coffeeinbed Sat 11-May-13 14:03:18

those are hermes.
Quite widely available, you can probably smell them in most big department stores.

coffeeinbed Sat 11-May-13 14:05:25

Oh and I agree with OLL about your mum.
If she's anything like mine then after chemo what she really appreciated was some warm cashmere socks.
Her feet have freezing ever since she had chemo.

Fuckitthatlldo Sat 11-May-13 14:15:22

Oh I didn't know that OLL sad - thank you for making me aware, and I'm so sorry about your mum.

Warm socks sound like a great idea Coffee. The anti sickness drugs they are giving her give her dreadful insomnia so she's up half the night and no doubt cosy things will be much appreciated.

This thread is not accepting new messages.