Part 4- All you ever need to know about fragrance continues

(1000 Posts)
shoeprincess2 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:55:37
coffeeinbed Wed 20-Mar-13 20:13:52

I had Gelsomino Nobile, Aqua di Parma.
Found a sample when clearing out dressing table.
Very pretty soft jasmine, sweet and green, not at all indolic, cut with some honeysuckle.
Pretty but boring.
Lasts and lasts - sprayed some in the morning, can still smell it.

coffeeinbed Wed 20-Mar-13 20:16:15

OneLittleLady have you tried AP Petale Noire?
Not noire, I'm afraid, but a lovely flower scent with a bit of a bite.

Will have a look at it, thanks smile

hettie Wed 20-Mar-13 21:14:25

hello all...
would love to become a perfuminista.... fear my budget might not stretch to it.
Am currently on the look out for a new 'day perfume' . Am just about to fisnish a bottle of 'ckin2u' which I've quite liked but it doesn't last. I like the 'leather' element to it. Am contemplating the Philosophy Pure Grace (or one of the other grace's). In the past I have liked calyx by prescriptives (and eternity blush should I admit that) and in the summer Ô de Lancôme...
With these choices, what else might I like?

FrugalFashionista Wed 20-Mar-13 21:38:48

Fuzzy let me know if you want my mini. It's lovely but after wearing it twice not my thing.

Hettie and OneLittleLady welcome! Easy to find mainstream leather perfumes: Bottega Veneta (strong leather) and Kelly Caleche by Hermes (almost not there suede). Green perfumes and citruses (hesperides) might be your thing too. If you browse some of the previous 3 perfumista threads you'll find lots of suggestions. Many of us love ordering samples. Les Senteurs and Scent and Sensibility are good places to start and there are two wonderful perfume books that list some really good choices (Perfumes -The Guide by Turin and Sanchez and Le Snob - Perfume).

Fuzzybirds Wed 20-Mar-13 21:59:43

Frugal that's really lovely of you to offer, thank you! Will pm you smile

I doubt I have anything you won't have smelt already but if you or anyone else is interested in any of the following samples, let me know and I'll post them to you:
L'Artisan's Mure et Musc
Robert Piguet Calypso
Robert Piguet Visa

hettie Wed 20-Mar-13 22:29:11

thanks frugal, loving the look of the book....
mmme..... sample perfumes... could be addictive!

CointreauVersial Wed 20-Mar-13 22:45:00

Fuzzy - I like the sound of all three of your samples.blush I'll PM you with a list of ones I have surplus to requirements, and maybe we can do a swap.....

kiwigirl42 Thu 21-Mar-13 05:53:33

coffeeinbed Gelsomino Nobile, Aqua di Parma sounds like a nice spring perfume but has it got the trademark woody Aqua di Parma undernote? I really like the Mandorlo version but its just a bit too cedary/ sandlewoody for me

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 07:26:46

SOTD Miriam by Tauer. This always feels über sophisticated - a fantastic version of vintage perfumes, traditional theme but smells very modern.

Ladame Thu 21-Mar-13 08:50:26

Pocketandsweet sent you Coramandel yesterday, waved it bye bye and said 'sorry' to it sad. SoTD Acqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani - gorgeous green and fresh - faintest hint of lime and grapefruit, very 'navy blazer' male cologne, sadly doesn't last more than a couple of hours. Wearing it in celebration of the sun appearing today here in the bottom of France after yay amounts of wind and rain. Also to cover up the aroma of Fox Terrier, who is sadly poorly sick after digging up and eating something he must have buried about a year ago - Oh the glamour!

pocketandsweet Thu 21-Mar-13 11:28:53

Thanks so much ladame I shall squeak with delight when it arrives. I haven't forgotten onelittleday and was on the way to post office this morning when my littlest daughter managed to fall off her scooter and push her tooth back into her head at a 45degree angle. Back home now and everything sorted ( need to wait and see if it will fall out, turn black (!) or be fine).... She is fine now as she has a Peppa Pig magazine and a bravery certificate from the hospital nurse.

pocketandsweet Thu 21-Mar-13 11:30:11

Sorry that was very in perfume-y post. Wearing Chanel no.19 which was good because it was what my mum wore and probably helped me channel calm mummy vibes whilst the blood flowed all around.

IsabelleRinging Thu 21-Mar-13 12:51:48

Hi everyone, been too busy lately to think much about perfume, but last night dug out my box of samples and spent the evening with Petit fracas, Fleur Nocturne, Ambre Sultan and Nuit Etoile in patches on my arms. The Petit Fracas was my favourite of the bunch, definitely some resembalance to fracas original but at the same time a completely different perfume, would be lovely for wild party in the summer, very flirty. Nuit Etoile is interesting and I want to like it but I can't say it is anything I would want to smell of, I enjoying smelling it though and the development is quite complex so it stays interesting. Still not keen on Ambre Sultan, it's just too spicy for me. Fleur Nocturne is lovely, just wish it was stronger.

CointreauVersial Thu 21-Mar-13 12:53:19

Ouch, pocket, your poor DD. My youngest had a black front babytooth for a couple of years after doing something similar; luckily the adult tooth underneath wasn't affected.

SOTD is good old Coromandel. I did put on rather a lot by mistake. grin I had a visitor at work first thing, and had to lean close to help him on the PC; the poor guy was probably choking.

coffeeinbed Thu 21-Mar-13 12:54:15

Kiwi I could not smell any cedar in Gelsomino Nobile and absolutely love cedar, so I hope I would have smelt it!
It's very soft summery jasmine/honeysuckle.

coffeeinbed Thu 21-Mar-13 12:58:01

Oh, I see cedar is listed in the dry-down.
hmm
I do have a cold so my nose might be broken.

Haberdashery Thu 21-Mar-13 14:53:17

Testing Norne today. Absolutely gorgeous. I smell of a very sexy Christmas tree. It's very dark (I mean smell but the actual liquid is, too) and very resinous. Lovely. I will see if anyone backs away from me on the school run in a mo. It's quite heady.

Don't worry pocketandsweet, I can wait smile Hope your DD has recovered and is smiling again soon

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 17:12:06

Ooh Haber so glad you like them! grin sexy Christmas tree... It is quite glögg-y. Miriam still going strong - but would like to dab on some Slumberhouse later...

FrugalFashionista Thu 21-Mar-13 17:13:16

Ooh and sympathies Pocket sounds horrific, hope she's feeling better now!

Ladame Thu 21-Mar-13 18:54:06

pocketandsweet I hope her tooth is ok, my dd did the same thing on a babies fairground ride. Had to come out in the end, didn't affect her adult teeth. She's at Uni now, with lovely teefies (after a brace, but that's a whole different story). x

kiwigirl42 Thu 21-Mar-13 19:45:23

coffeeinbed grin

I love the Nuit Etoille name and bottle but the idea of smelling like pine needles does not appeal to me - I grew up in the middle of a big pine tree producing region in NZ. There was also a big thing for pine toiletries in the '70's. Yuk! smells like toilet cleaner to me, that pine note.

I didn't sleep at all last night hmm so have been tucked up in bed with a touch of Tubereuse Criminelle today with 2 cats on bed and one under. Lovely!

garlicbrunch Thu 21-Mar-13 19:56:37

I haven't been to the Moroccan desert (yet) but, when I do, I'll be a little bit surprised if it smells like L'Air du Desert Marocain! I found this fragrance ever so familiar but it's taken ages to figure out what it reminds me of ... it's the underground fashion labyrinths at the Birmingham Oasis and Kensington Market, circa 1975. Incense - lots of incense! There was also damp concrete, tobacco, herbal cigarettes (both sorts), leather and candle wax. I used to love those places: they were seething with creativity. We used to buy little brown phials of perfume oil - they were cheap in those days, can you believe it! - and I was fond of ambergris, which I recognised in this scent.

Apart from some flowery notes (jasmine) that evaporated after my skin had made them smell of orange peel, and a bit of spice, the scent has stayed the same but got deeper somehow. I smell like joss sticks in a mouldy cellar. I love it grin

Wish I could remember whether this is like Poison or Opium - it's similarly bold, but I think Poison was much sweeter. LDDM will probably be just as annoying if you're jammed next to it on a crowded train! Recommended to everyone who used to do their eyes with kohl powder on a stick, has ever had their hands hennaed, and anyone who wouldn't mind trying wink

garlicbrunch Thu 21-Mar-13 19:59:38

Sorry you're not feeling too good, kiwi, but your self-care today sounds excellent!

This thread is not accepting new messages.