Crepey continuum

(1000 Posts)
Cremolafoam Mon 18-Mar-13 15:12:53

grin Over here!

CointreauVersial Tue 09-Apr-13 00:30:45

MrsS - take your DMum to lunch at the Cadogan Hotel for a bit of old-style charm.

BTM - you say your DS is "hench" so maybe his voice is breaking. Some of DS's friends have moustaches and baritones and are barely 13. DS himself has shot up, and now towers over his squeaky-voiced best mate.

Ruby - well done on your rubbish clearance endeavours. We were similarly productive on Sunday - the hole above the kitchen window has gone, and DH (bless him) attacked the permanently blocked drain outside the kitchen window. We possess a set of drain rods but they don't go round corners, so he was on his hands and knees with his arm in the unmentionables for quite a while. For reasons best known to himself he carried out the whole unsavoury task wearing a posh polo shirt and his favourite trousers. Wouldn't you change into something old before clearing a blocked drain? Or is that just me? Anyway, I made him strip off outside (completely!) before I let him in the house.

DD1 is completely better, and announced at the breakfast table how pleased she was to have done "the first solid poo for two days". grin

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Apr-13 01:26:11

MrsS, DD has never worn a cardi! I am amazed she wears her school shirts (she wore zipup polos at primary); but I guess the tie covers the butons.
Crmo/ruby, it is just a little wearing having to find clothes with no buttons (jeans buttons are OK thankfully!) And I dont get what it is about them at all - small and shiny are apparently the worstconfused DD hated them as soon as she could speak!

Love the scanning photos idea - my cousins did a photo-screening for my uncles 60th party and it was great. I would love to scan in some of our old photos but we havent got a scanner and I dont know how to do it!

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Apr-13 01:39:26

CV, he also seems to be having a testosterone surge ATM and is being extremely rude and annoying...
grin at first solid poo- she is obviously in training for a hol in India where poos are the hot topic of convo!

We went to a beach restaurant last night where the waiters all run as fast as they can to serve you and food/drinks come instantaneously - unheard of in Thailand! Off on 20hour day of travel to Bangkok later- I feel we didnt get the itinerary quite right

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Apr-13 10:17:50

Where are you all? Not working, surely?!
We have now got 5hours to kill at the train station as the train is 2 hours delayed. We did kill an hour on the public bus from town after our minibus dropped us there instead of here, thoughhmm

rubyrubyruby Tue 09-Apr-13 10:25:32

I'm at the vets

hattymattie Tue 09-Apr-13 10:35:36

Present BTM smile. I've been to career meeting with DD1 to talk about studying law in the UK. The trouble is for personal statements you seem to need to have work-shadowed lawyers - a bit complicated if you don't actually know any. Also if you want to do Oxbridge you need to have practice interviews - again slight technical problem. Also not sure if DD1's views on military dictators not being allowed a fair trial would go down too well at law interviews hmm

Very quiet withough DS. I need a job next year which will fit in with school hours but what can a late 40's British woman do in Paris without spot on French. I will give it some thought.

bigTillyMint Tue 09-Apr-13 10:42:00

Phew - thought I was the only one here!

Hope your doggy's OK ruby.

Cremo, we were having a discussion on that very subject last night - it sounds like your DD and my DS would get on well!
Could you Tefl?!

Stropperella Tue 09-Apr-13 10:55:48

I'm trying to get some work done, but ds is (allegedly) doing his homework on the computer next to mine, which means he keeps asking me random questions about the Vikings. He is supposed to be researching it himself of course. hmm I think the homework so far consists of a picture of a horned helmet with a big cross over it and "WRONG" written underneath it.

Stropperella Tue 09-Apr-13 10:57:39

Oh and the dog is pestering me to take him out and dd is in a sulk because I told her to get up at 10.30. She is stomping about muttering about how she hasn't "had any lie-ins this holiday" (chicken job finished yesterday).

Cremolafoam Tue 09-Apr-13 11:28:21

Lol Stropps at Viking / cross/ wronggringrin
Reminds me of dd doing arts and crafts whereby all manner of paper bits and glue were crumpled together in a ball in the attempt to make 'a boat' or 'a flower'. Then shed shout FINISHED! grin

Hattie we got the same advice at Cambridge last week. It was suggested that dd get some work experience with a political party over the summer to demonstrate her commitment. At least the interview ( should she get one) wont involve arts and craftswink

Blackduck Tue 09-Apr-13 11:38:10

I am trying to clear desk - not sure why I am bothering actually - not gone that long.
I have done insurance and Euros and dp is unpacking the bag as fast as I can pack it...

Stropps - Vikings smile We did the homework on the first Saturday (aren't I a cruel mother...)

wilbur Tue 09-Apr-13 12:39:40

Ruby - re your finance plans - we have done pretty much that and it worked, although lending is so tight now, you may have to work to find a mortgage lender that will play ball, although if you go for a SVR one, you should be ok. Since your house is in a desirable area, it sounds like a good plan. Just budget to have the scary mortgage for a lot longer than you would like and then if you do it in shorter time, hooray. Definitely get in several EAs to tell you what they think about your house and how it will sell. If it makes you feel better, we have robbed Peter to pay Paul on a number of occasions in the past, done the bridging loan thing, and although we have a lot of work to do in the next few years to bring the interest only part of our mortgage down (got a shitty 1990s endowment that is supposed to pay it off, yeah right) it has worked for us. Having said that, we have done it against a backdrop of having savings that would just about bail us out in an emergency - I wouldn't have done it on the never never.

S&B klaxon - I am trying out HD brows on Saturday! Apparently I will look groomed and youthful afterwards.

MrsS - sorry about your aunt. sad

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:32

I am feeling ill again. I am going to have to go to the doctor aren't I? Feeling sick again and temp going up.
Tired of this. Think I may need antibiotics.

rubyrubyruby Tue 09-Apr-13 21:51:47

MrsS - yes, you need the Drs.

Thanks for the advice Wilbur. I just need to convince DH hmm

Dog is back to vets on Friday for tests.

I'm venturing out with friends tomorrow night smile DH is away and I've just found out DS2 is at a party. I'm sure DD and DS3 will be ok though. I'm only local, in the local.

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 09-Apr-13 22:32:50

Wooohoooo, Ruby - when the cat's away and all that?

I have a dilemma, peeps. I will try and pop back and see my Aunt next week - will speak to my cousin and see when would be best for her, logistically. That is not my dilemma, that is just the number one priority. Next, I have discovered that the DDs will be on school holiday when it is my mother's birthday. I am not inclined to take them with me to see her as she will make it very dull for them and will criticise a lot. However, it would be hugely helpful to me if DH would come back to UK with me around this time, with the DDs (preferably in the car), as we could then kill two birds with one stone and go and visit schools. He is not keen on this idea, but if we don't do this when they are on holiday, when do we do it? I think I am going to insist that he comes back, and works some of the time if necessary, and he and the DDs can stay with DPIL which they will like (and am assuming that DFIL's friend will have either moved out or have been killed by DMIL by that time).

CointreauVersial Tue 09-Apr-13 23:47:56

MrsS, your plan sounds very sensible. Kick MrS into line.

As I probably mentioned we are about the embark on another phase of home improvements, having bitten the bullet and cashed in some shares. Mostly dull stuff (windows, guttering, heating), but the quotes are in and we are about to press the button. First off the starting blocks is the plumber to sort out our non-functioning radiators, booked in for Monday. DS will be getting a better bedroom; his room was being used as a storeroom when we bought the house, so he has had four years with a non-opening window, crooked MDF shelving, nasty built-in cupboards along one wall, and a paint-smudged poo-brown shaggy carpet that resembles Chewbacca's pelt.

wilbur Wed 10-Apr-13 09:18:25

MrsS - Can you just point out to dh how much more work visiting schools will entail if you don't do it as part of your break? It sounds like a good and sensible plan.

CV - we have some spectacular shag carpet here too grin. It's pale though, like Chewbacca's summer pelt, so it nicely shows up the years of coffee (I hope it's coffee) stains. I'm actually pretty envy of new windows and guttering, or rather you being at the point of getting them done as we have such a long road ahead of us. When it's all filthy and covered in dust just close your eyes and imagine how much nicer it will be when it's done. Although, looking round the hopeless tip that has become my house since the dcs have been off school, I'm not sure there's any point making the place nicer as they will just spread crap all over that too. sad

Blackduck Wed 10-Apr-13 10:12:08

Can I join the carpet woes? Our dining room carpet looks like a very old Chewbacca pelt, all worn and flat....there is a path clearly visible from the door to the kitchen and it's filthy....I am having wooden floors (when we get to it...)
First the bathroom - I am determined that this will be done before we chalk up 1 year in this place..... (lives in hope)

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Apr-13 10:18:08

Good luck with drs and vets peeps! And home improvements and homework...

We are now in Bangkok and have spent 8 hours shopping/walking/tuktukking/skytraining.... a sorely trying day as the DC were shopping and moaning and DD still has to buy presents for her boyfriend and best school friendhmm Shopping is fine in the aircom malls but vile in the markets. DH thinks as cheap as poss is best but the DC and I prefer the aircon malls. Not a good combination!

At least the hotel is nice. With free wifi smile

rubyrubyruby Wed 10-Apr-13 10:18:34

These house woes are making me feel lots better about mine grin

MrsS - if this needs to be done as a family then it needs to be done then surely?

Btw - my youngest 2 (14) went to see 'Jack the Giant Slayer' film

the other day and have been raving about it ever since. They said it was brilliant! I can't comment because I didn't go but thought I would let you all know.

It's a 12A

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Apr-13 10:19:27

MrsS good luck with your plan - I am fed up of negotiating with everybody!

rubyrubyruby Wed 10-Apr-13 10:30:48

Is it nearly time to come home bTM grin

I'm wondering how challenging our family holiday is going to be this year when we are all thrown together for 3 weeks hmm

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Apr-13 10:30:52

Ooh ruby, DS wanted to see that for his bday but I thought it might be a bit babyish - obvs not!

Am soooo pleased to be in my hotel room!

Blackduck Wed 10-Apr-13 10:35:33

Oh yes MrsS - your proposal is eminantly sensible - tell him that's what is happening!
I am packed and ready to go (but have left dp to put everything in the car as he is collecting me from work - has flashbacks of time we went away and he failed to put ds's bag in the car...)

bigTillyMint Wed 10-Apr-13 10:39:44

Yes ruby - 2 more sleeps! We used to do 3wk camping hols when the DC were younger - it was quite a long stretch, but hotels/motels should be better! Am v jealous of your hol plans - I would LOVE to do that!

This thread is not accepting new messages.