Mulberry Lily

(15 Posts)
AlwaysOneMissing Mon 18-Mar-13 08:32:14

I have a big birthday coming up and I am thinking about a gift to have from DH.

A few years ago, I considered purchasing a Mulberry Lily. I looked at them a few times over a few months, and loved the Oak option.

Here is the link, but can only find it in Deer Brown, not sure if they do Oak anymore

However, I never ended up buying at that time, as it was for no other reason than I liked it, and I decided I couldn't really justify the cost at that point.

Now I have a good excuse, I am thinking of getting one. I have considered (and like) other Mulberry bags, including larger ones which would be more practical day to day. But I already have a large daytime Michael Kors tan leather bag which I love, so I feel the Mulberry Lily may fill a hole in my wardrobe.

I suppose my question is, do you think the Lily is a classic? I would like it to be a bag that I would use for years to come.

And if not this - then any suggestions welcome!
TIA

chartreuse Mon 18-Mar-13 09:54:21

Lily is my favourite Mulberry bag, I think it's an understated classic unlike many of their bags. I'd go for it if I were yousmile

DancingRoundTheKitchen Mon 18-Mar-13 09:59:08

Yes!
Beautiful bag, total classic - get one!
The only thing I would say is that as much as I love the oak one I think it looks more casual. I'd be more inclined to go for a colour you can use in the day and for evening wear.
I have a lily and while I don't use it very often I have never regretted buying it.

CaptainWentworth Mon 18-Mar-13 10:39:08

Very classic IMHO- I have a black one that I use for weddings, nights out etc and I would use it in the day time too, except I prefer a larger bag in the day mostly. I like that the strap doubles over so you can wear it long or short.

I agree with the poster above about the oak being more casual though- I think black or a bright colour is more versatile.

I justified the purchase by saying it was my version of the classic Chanel 2.55 which I could never afford!

AlwaysOneMissing Mon 18-Mar-13 13:10:23

I'm loving these positive comments, thank you for posting.

chartreuse that's sort of what I thought. Some of their other designs come in and out of fashion a bit, but the Lily is a style imagine I could wear at any age and for lots of occasions.

Dancing and Captain that's interesting that you both think that about the Oak, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking that oak would go with so may different outfits I might get most use out of that colour. But actually you are probably right that it might not be dressy enough to use often as an evening bag.
Dancing which colour do you have?

Captain that's partly what I love too, the staps make it so versatile. And it looks beautiful too of course smile

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 18-Mar-13 13:43:12

Yes, Lily is a classic Mulberry 'icon' bag, great for day and night. A really useful buy.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 18-Mar-13 13:46:06

Oak is available at Mulberry.com @ £595.

PenfoldRocks Mon 18-Mar-13 14:43:08

I went to the factory shop in Shepton Mallet about a month ago (for a big bday pressie for me from DH!) and am pretty sure they had Lily in there in a fox suede? Maybe worth looking on the purse forum at factory shop stock if you're near one?

AlwaysOneMissing Mon 18-Mar-13 15:09:00

Well spotted propertyNIGHTmare! Hmmm, but now I am unsure about the oak!

Thanks Penfold that's a good idea to try the outlets. Does purse forum show which stock all the outlet stores have?

DancingRoundTheKitchen Tue 19-Mar-13 09:45:01

I've got a black one and think it is by far the most lovely item I own!
I also adore the dark blush colour they have this season. Have you been on the purse forum, lots of pictures of Lily's in different colours and advice.
Good luck choosing, what a lovely birthday present!

CaptainWentworth Tue 19-Mar-13 10:05:01

Yes there's a thread on the purse forum in the shopping section that lists all the outlet stock- you can also phone round outlets. They will let you buy items over the phone as long as they aren't in the outlet because they're 'substandard' (in case you aren't happy with the defect).

I bought a mouse grey Daria from the York outlet last autumn for about £350 because it was a sub, but it only had a tiny mark on the leather- so it's deffo worth looking at outlets!

Happy shopping!

I'm dribbling looking at that bag <disclaimer hormonal very heavily pregnant lady food and bags make me happy grin>

RobinSparkles Tue 19-Mar-13 10:54:17

I want! envy

FrugalFashionista Tue 19-Mar-13 10:55:44

I have a Lily and it has been a disappointment. It broke (the strap snapped - almost empty, not under a heavy load) after a few wears. There is an one-year warranty that covers immediate repairs, but it's a structural problem and will most likely reoccur. I fear the quality has gone downhill and the bag won't wear well. I think they have outsourced some of their production and would not consider a Lily manufactured these days a good investment. With this item, you are paying for the branding, not high quality and craftmanship. Will never buy a Mulberry again.

If you are looking for other options, the Anya Hindmarch Mini Gracie is on sale on The Outnet - much cheaper and much better made! And my humble calf leather Longchamps also seem indestructible.

AlwaysOneMissing Tue 19-Mar-13 12:45:50

Wow Captain what a find your Daria was! Tbh I wouldn't mind having a sub if it was only a minor fault.

The dark blush sounds lovely Dancing I will take a look at that.

Carrielou and Robin I know it's lovely isn't it smile

Frugal I take on board what you are saying, and you are not the first person I have heard disappointed at the quality of recent Mulberry offerings. I do not want to use the Lily on a daily basis, just occasionally, and after hearing your warning, I will be extra careful with one. You must have been so annoyed though, I would be so disappointed to have spent this much money on a bag for it to break so easily.
I will also check out the Mini Gracie as I know they are loved by a lot of posters on this board. Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now