Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

what do you think of this dress?

(121 Posts)

My sister's wedding in 3 weeks. It's a late afternoon register office then hotel evening do.

Pic on profile, any other suggestions more than welcome.

I think the phase eight geranium dress is gorgeous and looks like the best one for your shape, really flattering.

Frogman, I believe the polite term is 'curvy' grin

I loved them all but maybe it's because DD2 had a similar-ish dress a couple of summers ago that I'm not sure about the Geranium one IYSWIM.

The sales assistants were great, very helpful and brought me little shrug cardis (which I would probably wear again) and shoes/bags. My question, would I buy shoes/bags from there? They were £99 & £49 shock

Frogman Mon 25-Mar-13 14:30:13

You don't have to spend £99 on shoes- go to a cheaper shop if you haven't got any shoes already that you can wear ( and no one will look at your shoes anyway!). Borrow a handbag from a friend - again it's a small part of the outfit.

I definitely need to buy shoes, I have nothing even vaguely suitable smile

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Mon 25-Mar-13 15:44:10

I really like the second and third ones.

The first one is a bit too toddler party dress for me sorry, I could picture a junior bridesmaid in it IYKWIM. Then again I am a short ass so that is clouding my judgement!

That's what I thought Tigger

And I'm not short

Ashoething Mon 25-Mar-13 16:34:19

msinga-I will wear my lady v dresses with an underskirt but I try and emulate a vintage look so any excuse to wear them! They still look lovely without them as there is a lot of material to the skirt part. The square neckline is very flattering on a bust too-I am a 36E. My dress sits on my knee and I am 5'6.

Ashoething Mon 25-Mar-13 16:35:33

I just got lovely patent nude shoes from Barratts sale for £15 and a bag to match too.

Ashoething Mon 25-Mar-13 16:39:00

msinga-Lady v do Audrey Hepburn style dresses too which I believe are slightly longer-hit just below the knee if that's any better for you? They have a stunning blue one which I am seriously tempted by!. Btw I don't work for Lady vintage-someone on here recommended them and I was blown away by the quality for the price. If you like then on fb then keep an eye open for special offers too-lots of discount codes or money off.

I am loving the Lady V dresses but can't order until Thursday. With the BH weekend I'm thinking there's no way it would be here in time sad I love them though and will definitely buy one for the summer smile

Ashoething Mon 25-Mar-13 19:04:28

I ordered my first dress on the Monday and it came on the Wednesday! The other one I ordered on a Saturday night and it came on the Wednesday too so delivery times are excellent! I really want to order a couple more but think dh will cut up the credit cardgrin

Ashoething Mon 25-Mar-13 19:05:49

I am sure they do an express delivery though so I think if you order first thing thurs you would maybe get it for Tuesday? I would email them and ask-honestly they are really very helpful.

The wedding is on Tuesday, my nerves wouldn't stand it!

petitdonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 20:12:56

I have only skimmed the thread but I think you look lovely in the picture - I am also curvy and LK Tina dresses have been some of my best buys! I would agree, don't wear black - I think that nude would look just lovely and softer for a wedding.

I can see why someone would suggest the geranium dress but I know that, on me, it would just be overwhelming and the shape wouldn't flatter at all. I love the Lady V dresses too but I think I would look like a caricature of a curvy girl if that makes any sense at all.

I always go for simple, elegant boring? but with immaculate hair and make-up.

petitdonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 20:21:22
Coconutty Mon 25-Mar-13 20:26:41

OP you look fab, I would have guessed a 12 not a 16 in the red dress. Some excellent advice here, hope you have a great time.

makingdoo Mon 25-Mar-13 20:42:41

Love the 2nd phase eight dress and think it would look fab on your figure.

You will definetly get accessories cheaper elsewhere

Ok so accessories, shoes and a bag, where should I look?

Thanks coconutty blush

petitdonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 21:47:02

What sort of budget?

£100 for both would be great

petitdonkey Tue 26-Mar-13 08:39:06

too boring?

Which dress did you decide on?

petitdonkey Tue 26-Mar-13 08:40:28

The clutch bag that tssdncop linked to in Coast is hard to beat- looks much more expensive than it is.

I think I might go for the bouquet dress

babySophieRose Tue 26-Mar-13 11:08:37

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now