Denim shirts - what do you wear with yours?

(20 Posts)
freddiefrog Sat 16-Mar-13 11:49:59

I broke my spending ban and my no impulse buy rule and bought a bargainous denim shirt in TK Maxx but having got it home I'm wondering how to wear it without looking like I'm on my way to a Status Quo convention.

It'll be fine in the summer, I have lots of non-denim items of clothing that I can wear with it, but in the winter I tend to live in jeans. I have some khaki combats but it doesn't look quite right with it

I've also got a denim jacket that I hardly ever wear for the same reason

So how do you wear yours?

PrincessOfChina Sat 16-Mar-13 11:59:12

I've put mine on today for the first time in ages as I never know what to wear it with. I've gone with black jeans today (Topshop Baxters). I honestly don't know what else I would wear it with though.

Denim jacket is easier - I'd wear with dresses and skirts mainly.

freddiefrog Sat 16-Mar-13 12:07:45

I do wear the jacket with dresses, but I don't really wear skirts or dresses, unless they're maxi dresses in the summer

I have a pair of black boyfriend-ish type jeans which it might work with.

I really love the shirt or I'd take it back

awaywego1 Sat 16-Mar-13 13:28:37

Coloured skinny jeans?

awaywego1 Sat 16-Mar-13 13:29:01

Coloured skinny jeans?

I wear mine with darker denim jeans, bright pink skinnies, skinny combats, tucked into a black polka dot pencil skirt, over a neon yellow tee and pale grey harems... the list goes on! I think they're very versatile.

Trills Sat 16-Mar-13 14:29:24

The last time I wore a denim shirt I think I wore it with a yellow t-shirt and neon-printed leggings because I was 10 and it was the early 90s.

scarlet76 Sat 16-Mar-13 15:14:01

I wear mine loads!
In winter months with bottle green skinnys or black skinnys. Buttoned right up and tucked into a jersey pencil skirt.
In summer months with colours skinnys or open over a dress.

teta Sat 16-Mar-13 15:14:34

I also bought one from TK's this week in a dark indigo stretch denim.I've tried it on with a floaty silk maxi skirt and a white t shirt and linen trousers.Its very fitted so i think i will wear it like a jacket tbw.

MrsRogerSterling Sat 16-Mar-13 16:16:30

I have been wearing mine with dark grey leopard print harems or my plain navy harems.

I wear them open over a vest top and skirt, or a sleeveless dress in the summer.
Fastened part way with a cami under and with black skinnies, plus a biker jacket in Spring and Autumn.
With black skinnies and a cardigan in winter.
With a fabric mini skirt and opaques in Spring/Autumn.

I still need a new one.

I wear mine with darker denim skinnies. I find that as long as there is enough of a difference in shade you don't look like you are about to start Rockin' all over the world grin

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Mar-13 00:57:34

Wot Remus said (blimey, that's twice I've said that today, you and I must be style twins, Remus and it saves me all that typing ).

BestIsWest Sun 17-Mar-13 01:31:23

DD wears with dresses, boots and tights usually topped with a biker jacket. Looks good on her.

Frogman Sun 17-Mar-13 03:47:31

I've never worn one. I thought they were hideous in the 1980s and I think they are worse now. I do live in denim jeans however.

singaporeswing Sun 17-Mar-13 05:27:40

Looks gorgeous with berry coloured skinny jeans.

freddiefrog Sun 17-Mar-13 11:14:30

Thanks!

Teta probably the same one then. This is stretchy, fitted and a sort of dark dirty denim

I'm wearing it today, undone with a white vest and cream/biscuity skinnies and it looks OK.

I think I might wear it more in the summer

TrampyPants Sun 17-Mar-13 11:17:56

untucked over khaki cords, with a striped l/s top under and sleeves rolled up and tucked into a printed skirt with a wide tan belt. I love my denim shirt.

I'm flattered, Cointreau. I've always seen you as one of the S&B icons of MN. smile

CointreauVersial Sun 17-Mar-13 23:32:31

Arf at icon.grin

Actually, OP, I just bought a yellow vest top to wear under my denim shirt - yellow is "in" for spring and goes nicely with denim if you can't face a lot of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now