what to wear when going the theatre

(10 Posts)

Need some inspiration, I haven't been out in ages, but going watch dirty dancing next week with a friend and I have no idea what to wear. We're probably going around town after too.
Im mid thirties, 5 ft and a size 12. Im on a diet at the mo and ive dropped 2 dress sizes so its a good excuse to buy a new outfit smile
My max budget is £50, I have various shoes and boots. Do people dress up still to go the theatre?

newgirl Fri 15-Mar-13 16:19:58

I think stylish people do - and some don't bother - go for it!

BabyFaker Sat 16-Mar-13 00:09:27

You'll be fine in a track suit!

Thanks for the replies, dont think I'll be wearing a tracksuit though smile

Wishfulmakeupping Sat 16-Mar-13 06:19:32

Well done on your weight loss and treat yourself to a lovely nice outfit - how about some black skinny jeans, blouse, nude heels and dressy clutch bag. Dressy but not over the top- warehouse and river island had some nice blouses/shirts in-have fun

noviceoftheday Sat 16-Mar-13 06:56:14

I tend to wear a nice top (eg cowl neck top), trousers and boots. Sometimes, a pretty dress with cardigan and knee high boots. Always with nice accessories. I would call my look the smart end of casual dressing, so dressed up from normal slouching about on a weekend but less dressy than say going to an upmarket restaurant or a party.

LouiseMW31 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:08:22

I go to the theatre a lot and people wear all sorts, some appear to dress down rather than up but if your looking for an excuse to get a new outfit go for it.

Thanks for the ideas, got myself some skinny jeans today, just need get a new top smile

polyhymnia Sat 16-Mar-13 16:39:23

Yes sounds fine. I also go to theatre a lot and any of the smart casual options suggested above would be fine - but anything more 'dressed up' than that might stand out a bit, not in a good way. People don't 'dress up' in the formal sense to go to the theatre.

SirEdmundFrillary Sat 16-Mar-13 16:47:22

What a coincidence. If I where you I'd wear whatever the hell I like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now