Why do I look shit in a dressing gown?

(57 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 21:56:50

I'm a size 12, 5ft4.

But anytime I wear a dressing gown and do it up with the waist tie, I look lumpy or just huge.

This goes for both my slinky ones at home and thick fluffy ones at hotels.

Yet when I see other people wearing them, they look less lumpy, and more sexy with it.
And this isn't just people who are itsy bitsy teeny.

Am I just a funny shape?

BeSTFRiEND1978 Mon 06-Jan-14 12:09:04

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Sheila Sun 17-Mar-13 20:05:52

grin Seeker - maybe the bravissimo hidden bra top is the way forward?

notnowImreading Sun 17-Mar-13 19:56:46

This is what I want to look like in a dressing gown. Unfortunately, I mostly look like this.

seeker Sun 17-Mar-13 19:53:35

<gazes down at untrammelled breasts in much loved kaftan printed rather unfortunately with batik elephants- gazes away hastily>

Sheila Sun 17-Mar-13 19:46:07

In my case it's because my untrammelled breasts swing round my waist in the most unalluring manner. I lashed out on a white company towelling robe (tired out being cold) and still look shite.confused

RoganJosh Sun 17-Mar-13 19:09:39

I think a dark colour helps. If I'm going to be in public I tend to put a fleece top on instead though. (With pj bottoms!)

Lakota Sun 17-Mar-13 18:41:00

That one on ebay is aimed at pervs. 'Well worn' is a code word for fetishists who like things a bit sweaty and unwashed, if I remember correctly. So you can make money from your skanky old slippers etc, if you have no qualms!

Everyone looks shit in a dressing gown hmm

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 16:55:29

Is the one on ebay for a special-interest leisurewear enthusiast?

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 16:54:05

I've got two vintage men's dressings gown, a la Noel Coward. I'm not saying they do much, but it's better than the baked-potato-in-winceyette look I rocked for several years.

With a dressing gown, one wants to float - preferably with a very foamy latte - not lurch about spilling a lukewarm cuppa. Why is life so cruel?

boodles Sun 17-Mar-13 16:44:57

I never wear mine, I wear a cream traccy jacket, looks ok.

Ironbluemayfly Sun 17-Mar-13 11:19:00

You need a waist and either free standing or bra-ed norks.

NinaNannar Sun 17-Mar-13 07:02:08

The only one I look nice in is a boden one I got on the sales years ago and it's past it's prime. It's fine wool knit. Like a wrap dress.
Lovely.

madmomma Sat 16-Mar-13 21:14:56

I am a very lumpy person, but even I look pretty nice in my silky kimono. It won't have been expensive either cos DH bought it me and he's a proper tightarse. It's pale blue chinese flower print and full length and I always feel glam in it. Even dd1 15 wants one and she hates what I wear. It's like the 'from Japan' cheapo numbers off ebay.

Chandon Sat 16-Mar-13 16:59:38

I bought a white comany one, years ago, it is brown and has a hood.

I thought it would bridge the gap between between comfy and glam.

Dh laughed and said :" wow, you look just like a Belgian monk." wtf? That was not the look I was going for!

Am now considering robbing a bank to buy this

media.toast.co.uk/stormsites/toast/images/products/cdeg9_duskymintmulti_xxl.jpg?lc=en-GB&lv=2

Kikithecat Sat 16-Mar-13 11:09:05
FrugalFashionista Sat 16-Mar-13 09:34:54

Wildfig I recommend a Japanese cotton yukata or nemaki (gauze lined house kimono) from eBay or Asian or Japanese shops (skip the naff polyester versions).

Have had mine for over 5 years and always feel very pulled together when wearing it. Size M is fine for 5'8", slightly below knee.

jammietart Sat 16-Mar-13 09:01:42

Nigella has a lot of support under her dressing gown I'm sure! It's because you haven't got underwear on and you're just out of bed. I look horrid first thing in the morning with my dressing gown on but if I chuck it in place of my clothes whilst getting ready to go out I look fab!

7to25 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:46:04

I have two great dressing gowns, summer and winter, both from America. Full length and no belt, so much better.

notso Fri 15-Mar-13 20:39:10

Wildthong I was slightly disturbed by that greasy looking hand in those images you showed, I dared to click but it's only an image of bodyscrub from a how to look good in summer article!

wildfig Fri 15-Mar-13 20:12:19

I blame Nigella and her satin hourglass number. She's skewed our dressing gown expectations with her lighting and her off screen make-up artist and hairdresser.

littleducks Fri 15-Mar-13 18:53:03

It was wear your pyjamas to school day today in aid of comic relief. IMO mist people look a bit rubbish in dressing gowns (though you must commend the teachers for joining in I can't think if much worse than having to go to work in pjs)

Yama Fri 15-Mar-13 18:52:25

Who the fuck wants to cut about in a house coat?

I googled Carole Hochman by the way. Jesus Christ.

Euphemia Fri 15-Mar-13 18:51:56

I have this in teal from David Nieper and it's the warmest dressing gown I've ever had. I live in NE Scotland so I bloody well need it!

In my last dressing gown, which tied at the middle, I looked like this chap heading off to bag some Blast-Ended Skrewts. hmm

Casmama Fri 15-Mar-13 18:41:24

I think only people with hourglass figures and really narrow waists look any good in a dressing gown.
Also agree that wearing a bra helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now