Why do I look shit in a dressing gown?

(57 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 21:56:50

I'm a size 12, 5ft4.

But anytime I wear a dressing gown and do it up with the waist tie, I look lumpy or just huge.

This goes for both my slinky ones at home and thick fluffy ones at hotels.

Yet when I see other people wearing them, they look less lumpy, and more sexy with it.
And this isn't just people who are itsy bitsy teeny.

Am I just a funny shape?

Maraki Fri 15-Mar-13 11:01:24

I think I look ok-ish in a dressing gown. I'm 5'10" and a size 16 (apple with assets). The trick is for the dressing gown to be long (either ankle or ankle length), wear a bra, tie up the cord inside the dressing gown (to give you shape) and then tie the belt. I struggle to find dressing gowns which are long enough, so my favourite one is from Long Tall Sally.

Short dressing gowns (just below knee) make me look HUGE.

But I cannot be asked with all the faf, so I'm always in baggy velour btracksuits blush

drjohnsonscat Fri 15-Mar-13 11:13:40

They make everyone look dreadful don't they? It's not a shortness issue - I'm 5ft 7 and look pretty hideous in them. But I am not sure when you need to look nice in one confused. I put mine on to open the door if someone knocks before I am dressed but this happens perhaps once every six months. Are you trying to recreate some sort of Carry On with the Milkman scene?

Since we have established that dressing gowns are unflattering, please can someone have a word with designers about coats with dressing gown belts as a feature. What could be more unflattering than a dressing gown? Why a great woolly coat done up with a dressing gown belt, that's what.

TheWaterHorse Fri 15-Mar-13 12:11:52

Me too. Personally I think it is down to my body shape - I have a long body and short legs, but the length of my body is all in the hip / pelvis area. In dressing gowns or wrap dresses or similar, my bum and lower abdomen sort of coalesce into a one mass, making me look several dress sizes bigger than I am. I generally look bad in anything with a belt too. I don't particularly care what I look like in a dressing gown and I've learned to avoid wrap dresses and similar.

BandersnatchCummerbund Fri 15-Mar-13 13:24:02

Things that I noticed when I went through a phase of buying dressing gowns last year. ( hmm ) Am short and not overweight, but still definitely heavier than I'd like to be atm.

They need to be either just above or just below the knee. Anything calf-length looks dreadful unless you are tall.

The belt needs to be not too thin, otherwise you look like a sack of potatoes tied up with string. A thicker belt gives you a better waist.

Unfortunately, boobs with no support do not look as good as boobs with support. So I have to try and hoist them up a bit somehow, otherwise they look dangerously close to the belt. blush

And finally, not all dressing-gowns are the same and sometimes you just have to order, try on, and then return. I am now the proud possessor of 4 dressing gowns including two slinky chiffon numbers and two thicker ones of different kinds. I really like all of them and think they are reasonably flattering, even if they would look better with a bra underneath or if I just looked like Elle McPherson. grin

Lakota Fri 15-Mar-13 17:55:55

I think I look crap in my dressing gown because I'm generally not wearing a bra when I wear it. Hoist everything up (but be less comfy) and you will look better. Towelling does look crap on everyone though.

Lakota Fri 15-Mar-13 17:56:44

Aah, hadn't read full thread. I agree with BandersnatchCummerbund!

I may look like a lump in it but I wouldn't trade my massive, bright red Wonder Woman dressing gown for anything. It's the only thing that keeps me anything close to warm at night and first thing in the morning. To be fair though, I am of COURSE a little minx in my silky debenhams summer weight dressing gown 12 years old it is as well

Casmama Fri 15-Mar-13 18:41:24

I think only people with hourglass figures and really narrow waists look any good in a dressing gown.
Also agree that wearing a bra helps.

Euphemia Fri 15-Mar-13 18:51:56

I have this in teal from David Nieper and it's the warmest dressing gown I've ever had. I live in NE Scotland so I bloody well need it!

In my last dressing gown, which tied at the middle, I looked like this chap heading off to bag some Blast-Ended Skrewts. hmm

Yama Fri 15-Mar-13 18:52:25

Who the fuck wants to cut about in a house coat?

I googled Carole Hochman by the way. Jesus Christ.

littleducks Fri 15-Mar-13 18:53:03

It was wear your pyjamas to school day today in aid of comic relief. IMO mist people look a bit rubbish in dressing gowns (though you must commend the teachers for joining in I can't think if much worse than having to go to work in pjs)

wildfig Fri 15-Mar-13 20:12:19

I blame Nigella and her satin hourglass number. She's skewed our dressing gown expectations with her lighting and her off screen make-up artist and hairdresser.

notso Fri 15-Mar-13 20:39:10

Wildthong I was slightly disturbed by that greasy looking hand in those images you showed, I dared to click but it's only an image of bodyscrub from a how to look good in summer article!

7to25 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:46:04

I have two great dressing gowns, summer and winter, both from America. Full length and no belt, so much better.

jammietart Sat 16-Mar-13 09:01:42

Nigella has a lot of support under her dressing gown I'm sure! It's because you haven't got underwear on and you're just out of bed. I look horrid first thing in the morning with my dressing gown on but if I chuck it in place of my clothes whilst getting ready to go out I look fab!

FrugalFashionista Sat 16-Mar-13 09:34:54

Wildfig I recommend a Japanese cotton yukata or nemaki (gauze lined house kimono) from eBay or Asian or Japanese shops (skip the naff polyester versions).

Have had mine for over 5 years and always feel very pulled together when wearing it. Size M is fine for 5'8", slightly below knee.

Kikithecat Sat 16-Mar-13 11:09:05
Chandon Sat 16-Mar-13 16:59:38

I bought a white comany one, years ago, it is brown and has a hood.

I thought it would bridge the gap between between comfy and glam.

Dh laughed and said :" wow, you look just like a Belgian monk." wtf? That was not the look I was going for!

Am now considering robbing a bank to buy this

media.toast.co.uk/stormsites/toast/images/products/cdeg9_duskymintmulti_xxl.jpg?lc=en-GB&lv=2

madmomma Sat 16-Mar-13 21:14:56

I am a very lumpy person, but even I look pretty nice in my silky kimono. It won't have been expensive either cos DH bought it me and he's a proper tightarse. It's pale blue chinese flower print and full length and I always feel glam in it. Even dd1 15 wants one and she hates what I wear. It's like the 'from Japan' cheapo numbers off ebay.

NinaNannar Sun 17-Mar-13 07:02:08

The only one I look nice in is a boden one I got on the sales years ago and it's past it's prime. It's fine wool knit. Like a wrap dress.
Lovely.

Ironbluemayfly Sun 17-Mar-13 11:19:00

You need a waist and either free standing or bra-ed norks.

boodles Sun 17-Mar-13 16:44:57

I never wear mine, I wear a cream traccy jacket, looks ok.

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 16:54:05

I've got two vintage men's dressings gown, a la Noel Coward. I'm not saying they do much, but it's better than the baked-potato-in-winceyette look I rocked for several years.

With a dressing gown, one wants to float - preferably with a very foamy latte - not lurch about spilling a lukewarm cuppa. Why is life so cruel?

Corygal Sun 17-Mar-13 16:55:29

Is the one on ebay for a special-interest leisurewear enthusiast?

Everyone looks shit in a dressing gown hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now