Why do I look shit in a dressing gown?

(57 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 21:56:50

I'm a size 12, 5ft4.

But anytime I wear a dressing gown and do it up with the waist tie, I look lumpy or just huge.

This goes for both my slinky ones at home and thick fluffy ones at hotels.

Yet when I see other people wearing them, they look less lumpy, and more sexy with it.
And this isn't just people who are itsy bitsy teeny.

Am I just a funny shape?

germyrabbit Thu 14-Mar-13 21:57:27

why are you posing in a dressing gown anyway?

pixi2 Thu 14-Mar-13 21:58:52

Buy the best quality and never ever a terry towelling one.....she says sleeping in dh's terry towelling one to smell him as he is away.

piratecat Thu 14-Mar-13 22:01:06

I'm the same as you op, wearing mine now i look like Mr Blobby, and this is mainly down to the fact it's pink with white dots on.

I just went with the flow really.! sigh

Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 22:01:21

I am currently lounging in my Ralph Lauren one which was a very nice treat from MIL, I love it.

Its thin and light and so comfy and not too hot, but enough to cover up nekkid bits whilst on sofa.

Still look lumpy sad

Cheddars Thu 14-Mar-13 22:01:24

Me too OP. I have a short towelling one and a long fleecy one. They're both equally unflattering. sad

Beaverfeaver Thu 14-Mar-13 22:01:46

What's terry towling?

TheBookofRuth Thu 14-Mar-13 22:04:45

We're not meant to look good in dressing gowns are we? Because if so I've been getting it wrong for years.

catinboots Thu 14-Mar-13 22:09:53

MIL bought me a dressing gown for Christmas when I was 8 months pregnant.

She bought be a red towling one with a white trim.

I looked just like fucking Santa.

Cheers MIL.

pixi2 Thu 14-Mar-13 22:10:10

Terry towelling = some form of thick dressing gown material popular with some spas and also used in a thinner version for olden style reusable nappies.

Also the most unflattering material ever.

I know exactly what you mean!
Turned up un expectantly at a friends who was sleeping after a night shift....she emerged in a beautifully sexy number complete with matching dressing gown and I swear that's how she got out of the bed cause she opened the window.I have been haunted ever since smile as I envisioned my own apparel in similar circumstances....it,s not a pretty sight .

notso Thu 14-Mar-13 22:15:25

I usually end up looking like this but with frizzy dark brown hair!

CointreauVersial Thu 14-Mar-13 22:15:39

I don't give a rat's arse whether I look alluring or not in my dressing gown. Who am I trying to impress?

<glances over at DH scratching his nuts in his baggy trackies>

katrinefonsmark Thu 14-Mar-13 22:19:04

Its cos you're short. I have a posh one and look lumpen in it. I actually look better in tackier looking ones e.g. one of those soft shiny Per Una OK ones with hearts all over.

QueefLatina Thu 14-Mar-13 22:26:27

I stayed at my impossibly beautiful friends house and was sat having breakfast in the morning with my and her DHs and she slunk down the stairs in a chinese silk number, just open enough to be able to see a bit of the lace from her tiny black satin nightie, even her hair was up in one of those beautifully messy topknots.

I was wearing primark pjs and a white ish towelling dressing gown with my hair scraped back.

The difference between us was sobering.

akaemmafrost Thu 14-Mar-13 22:27:30

I do too, like a sack of potatoes.

I think you need to be tall and willowy to carry of the slinky dressing gown look. I am not.

Startail Thu 14-Mar-13 22:45:05

DD1 is a size 12 and a bit taller at 5'6" and usually looks quite striking, but in her fleece dressing gown she looks like a badly wrapped parcel.

I'm 5'4", size 16, with a very large arse. I don't own a dressing gown grin

I have 3 Carole Hochman leeeeeeisure robes.
One is lilac, one pink and really snuggly , one is orange with pink trim (yes it is as nasty as it sounds but it's a summer weight)

But ...
they all have zip fastenings so no lumpy belts and no embaressing open bits. smile

bulletproofgerbil Fri 15-Mar-13 06:42:14

Yup, nothing sack of spuds here. I have always wanted to either look elegant or delightfully tousled and sexy in a dressing gown. Never have and never will. I try not to wear one as much as possible.

bulletproofgerbil Fri 15-Mar-13 06:46:09

I meant another sack of spuds. Not nothing sack of spuds.

Kikithecat Fri 15-Mar-13 09:45:04

I think lots of us look like potato sacks in a standard tie-waist dressing gown. What about this sort of thing
www.isme.com/sorbet-microfleece-zip-through-robe/1173630927.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f1730
which can be found in less lurid colours if you have the time.

WildThong Fri 15-Mar-13 09:58:15

Maybe we should all wear fleecy onesies and fake uggs

joking

teta Fri 15-Mar-13 10:08:40

I look nice in a red silk chinoiserie long gown[summer] but look like a sack of potatoes in my fleecy winter version.

wildfig Fri 15-Mar-13 10:36:07

Does anyone have any nice dressing gown recommendations?! I live in a cold, cold house, and I'm 5'7".

seeker Fri 15-Mar-13 10:40:10

My dd has a kimono her dad bought her in Japan- and she looks utterly fabulous in it. She also looks utterly fabulous wrapped in my gigantic towelling robe. But she is 17, and looks utterly fabulous in anything. I think I see where I am going wrong...............grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now