What products for 'scrunching' straight hair curly? Curl seperater type stuff?

(12 Posts)
Turry Tue 12-Mar-13 15:36:20

I have VERY thick, straight but frizzy hair. Having spent years straightening it smooth, having a baby who won't let me put her down, ever, has seen an end to that, so I need something quick and low-maintainance...

I used to just scrunch it when wet and it would dry naturally into quite nice curls. But I clearly don't rember quite how as tried it this morning (using frizz-ease serum) and definitely not worked - it's one massive thick blob of frizz.

So what else should I try? Mousse? Any recommendations much appreciated - I've had enough of just scraping it back into frizzy ponytail everyday now. sad

Chocchip88 Tue 12-Mar-13 15:41:33

Umberto Gianni (sp?) Curl Friends scrunching jelly from Boots works for me. They do a mini travel version so you can try it out before you invest in a big tube, although not that £ anyway.

badguider Tue 12-Mar-13 15:45:57

i mix the umberto giannini or whatever it is mentioned already with boots pink curl creme - the scrunch jelly is a gel that makes the curls while hte boots stuff is more of a antifrizz coating.

i would bin the frizz ease serum and also you need some patience - you'll need three or four washes to get the hair out of the habit of being straigtenend.

also, don't comb it when wet. just run fingers through it when conditioning.

Turry Tue 12-Mar-13 15:54:55

Oooh, thank you, thank you ladies! Umberto Gianni rings a bell from when I used to do this - pink tub? Will def try the boots stuff as well, and yes I brushed it within an inch of its life when wet... Shall avoid that tomorrow and see how it goes... Maybe we'll be getting somewhere by the weekend... Eeek! x

Turry Tue 12-Mar-13 15:58:57

PS, Badguider. You mix them in your hand and apply together, or apply one then the other?

Mumelie Tue 12-Mar-13 16:10:49

I use the Umberto Gianni shampoo and conditioner for curly hair and its great.
As for product I use Paul Mitchell round trip best thing ever as is weighless on my fine hair. A little goes a long way so works out quite cheap in the end!

badguider Tue 12-Mar-13 17:05:16

i mix them between the palms of my hands before scrunching.
too much crunch means i've used too much of the umberto gianini stuff, too greasy means i've used too much boots curl creme, just right gives shiny curls that hold their shape.

Chocchip88 Wed 13-Mar-13 10:25:03

Ooh bad girl I also have some of the pink curl cream I will try the mix.
If you get the crunch you can scrunch it out when your hair is dry.

Turry Thu 21-Mar-13 18:06:08

Reporting back: IT WORKS!!! My hair is curly once more, you wise, wise women were right! Only thing is now I need one of you to come over and do some portion control for me - I'm consistently getting crunch. Every time I think to myself 'now remember last time, you used too much...' yet just don't seem to be able to hold back; the fear of too little (and the BIG hair it will leave) overpowers!

Laquila Thu 21-Mar-13 20:10:16

That Boots pink curl cream is great, and also insanely cheap. My current favourite combo is a smallish application of the pink cream, then Frizz-Ease mousse (I find the trick with this is not to use too much, and also not to blow dry after applying).

Lavenderhoney Fri 22-Mar-13 06:21:40

I have the same hair and will be trying thissmile thanks for the threadsmile I also buy a very cheap coconut oil spray from boots and squirt a bit on my finished hair and it makes it all shiny with a tiny bit, but not fixed iykwim.

Spookey80 Fri 22-Mar-13 11:43:50

Bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now