Needing smart work wear on a budget! What basics do I need!

(8 Posts)
beachyhead Tue 12-Mar-13 17:17:40

I think chinos are a bit casual for formal work wear. Why don't you do the first few days in what you have and then shop the first weekend?

I suggest grey trousers as a good colour to go with your black jacket. Also if you have a couple of decent scarves, then your t shirts don't have to be as smart...

GoingVerySlowlyMad Tue 12-Mar-13 16:43:40

Yes looking at a few bits on eBay to keep the cost down. Are chinos ok or are they just a bit too casual.

Have my eye on a gap blazer which is a heavy jersey type material looks like I could get a lot of wear from it. It's a good thing we are going into spring/summer as I find those seasons easier iyswim. Can just wear a simple to with a nice cardi and a scarf with black trousers.

Sorry I know I'm seriously over thinking this!!

EwanHoozami Tue 12-Mar-13 11:37:00

I've picked up a couple of really good round-neck cashmere boden jumpers from ebay that wash well and look expensive but only cost me about £15 each.

EwanHoozami Tue 12-Mar-13 11:35:33

Brogues (brown) are my go-to pair of shoes with trousers. I have a couple of jersey blazers that feel smart without being too stiff and formal.

I'd avoid leggings and a tunic, it's a bit too mum-at-toddler-group for work.

jumper and white shirt sounds good

GoingVerySlowlyMad Tue 12-Mar-13 11:28:22

Ok more questions! Can I get away with chinos both beige and navy? What kind of shoes, thinking tan ballerinas (can't do heels!). Also would I get away with a cable knit RL jumper but layered over a white shirt to make it smarter? Also can I get away with leggings, black knee length boots and a tunic top?

Sorry this is a big leap for me so going to need a lot of patience and hand holding. I don't do smart I do extremely casual

Feilefoo Tue 12-Mar-13 00:11:39

Make sure everything can be washed, as the bill for keeping nice clothese clean can be high!

I second the nice knit tops

VestaCurry Mon 11-Mar-13 23:58:03

Another pair of trousers, maybe in an aubergine or blue (not navy) to mix and match with the blazer and jumpers you have. Some smart t shirts that can go under the jumpers, or on their own, get a few colours, again so you can mix and match. A skirt (not sure what style you prefer), if not, I'd go for a third pair of trousers. Blouses are a faff because they invariably need ironing! Keep it all really simple.

GoingVerySlowlyMad Mon 11-Mar-13 23:52:26

After years of working in a mental health setting where casual clothes were the norm, my job role has changed slightly and I am required to wear smart casual, whatever that means! I have no idea about the realms of work wear as I have spent most of my working life either in a uniform or casual clothes and trainers.

I already have a pair of smart black trousers and a well cut black blazer and some v-neck merino jumpers that would do. What other basics will I need? On a budget so strictly high street. Anybody have any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now