stylish skirts and dresses when you're over AHEM

(35 Posts)
coatsonNOW Mon 11-Mar-13 19:02:05

...the AHEM is 40.

I can't do jeans or trousers. I just can't. I'm small (size 8) but very poorly proportioned (thighs=danger zone). My teens and 20s were a sad travesty of fashion as I slavishly tried to squeeze the turnips into denim.

In my 30s, I worked it out - shortlish flippyish skirts/dresses, vintage wherever possible, thick tights, boots or ballet pumps. Hopefully the right balance between Interesting and Inappropriate.

But now - my wardrobe looks dangerously muttonish. But I don't want to turn into a librarian. (No offence to librarians. Some of my best friends...it's just that when you're small, if you go librarian, you can look like a Miss Marple toy).

Any comments are welcome within reason.

26 46 petite short arse
here

shopafrolic Tue 12-Mar-13 20:52:54

Fingers crossed then Remus I haven't worn it yet - too blooming cold
Sleep definitely 40 years old! That would be a HUGE chest!

Thank you, Sleep. smile

I've got some viscose dresses from The White Company and tbh my Westwood is viscose too - it's deffo better than polyester!

shop I trust you are 40 years old and that wasn't your bra size you were talking about grin

Lovely boards Remus, I am following you too.

shopafrolic Tue 12-Mar-13 20:40:18

I saw you link that top on another thread - it's lovely. Apparently the man made fabrics they use now use sports technology to make them more breathable. Basically the message I got from the store manager was that man made was there to stay due to cost of natural fibres..... It's the first viscose dress I've bought, hope I don't regret it!

Such a shame they do so little silk now. They have got a nice silk top in at the mo though - hang on...

shopafrolic Tue 12-Mar-13 20:31:53

Viscose mix unfortunately...

Ta. What's the fabric like?

shopafrolic Tue 12-Mar-13 20:20:18

The dress? Warehouse. This season. It is so much nicer in real life....very flattering and can dress up or down I think...... Came in a pale blue and a black/white print too....

Where's it from, Shop? I like the colour but don't think the shape would work for me.

shopafrolic Tue 12-Mar-13 20:13:49

I'm 4OH! And boards are here
pinterest.com/shopafrolic1/
This dress is a nice day to day option (looks better in RL)

pinterest.com/pin/122230577358860246/

crypes Tue 12-Mar-13 19:26:35

Kate moss looks like Shes suffering from alzeimers and forgotten to put her skirt on. Shes far too old for that look

smile Thank you. I will follow you right back! What's your name?

coatsonNOW Tue 12-Mar-13 19:11:09

Remus, you run a beautiful universe, I'm following you

This is my Pinterest - not sure if any use though.

finlaysmum12 Tue 12-Mar-13 12:16:11

marking my place...

coatsonNOW Tue 12-Mar-13 12:09:12

Norkily - ah, sexy librarian - I think you have just identified my ideal style!

I'mindependentlymindedandreallyquitesexybutIdohaveabrainactually

Can an item of clothing convey this?

Can we start a Sexy Librarian thread?

Liberty thank you for the HM skirt - I need to buy that NOW
Sleepy I like that red dress. I am just imagining your thighs. (Please do not be alarmed, I mean it in a sisterly way). I bet they are long and slim and I would sell my family to have them.

Sexy Librarians, we must persevere with a pencil/A line/ruched thread.

Limoncellolovely Tue 12-Mar-13 11:59:28

Coats I am on pinterest but havent got round to pinning anything yet !!!!
I just go on there search for example 'black maxi skirt' and have a peruse of some looks !!! If I was you I would simply search skirts it will throw up all sorts good and bad find some styles you like and narrow it down from there.Polyvore is also good it does look boards but again would help if you could decide on some styles.

Sleep Lovely board a very foxy 40 year old wink

norkily If you like pencil skirts try sleeps suggestion of a ruched one might be more practical for work and I think librarians come in all sorts of designs I dont think Laura Ashley gets issued as standard our local librarian is a goth think she would be really offended by a knee length A line too !!!! smile

Sleepwhenidie - well I didn't realise librarianship was such a bad thing, stylewise, so who knows if I'm doing it right wink

Sounds like sexy librarian norkilygrin...pencil skirts are as cool as possible at the moment, what's the problem?

also now wondering what on earth I can wear! grin

A-line doesn't suit me, so I wear pencil skirts/dresses or tunics over trousers (though I also seem to be the wrong shape for trousers). I'm not helping the librarian stereotype am I?

I'm a nearly ahem librarian, so feeling quite offended wink

libertychick Mon 11-Mar-13 23:29:31

Oh KM looks terrible in that pic.

coatson I don't have good legs - chunky thighs and weirdly fat knees - but I have embraced shorter skirts this year at the grand old age of 39! For me, what works is an a-line shape, that sits about an inch above the knee and worn with opaque tights. I have this H&M skirt which is the perfect shape and length and I wear it at least twice a week ATM. Chunky shoes good for balancing proportions such as brogues or loafers.

You could take a look at my wardrobe just as an example of a 40year olds! it is quite skinny jean heavy but there are some skirts/dresses there that I wear as described previously, with opaques and bikers/Pistols.eg the red long sleeved dress with pale grey poncho, dark grey ribbed tights, pistols and long grey and black knitted scarf. Lots of my tops would work as well with clingy maxi skirts and boots I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now