Is there a new bra intervention thread somewhere?

(1000 Posts)
lookout Sat 09-Mar-13 13:30:14

All of the other ones are closed now and I still need some help!

SorrelForbes Mon 22-Apr-13 07:09:20

Try a 28E, 28DD, 30DD and a 30D. I would expect the 28 to be closest in most brands.

Alicethecamelshump Mon 22-Apr-13 07:57:55

Very excited to be going shopping today, I do feel a 34F is going to be big in the cup, my brain needs training regarding the down in the band and up in the cup!
Thank you for helping!

RosieLig Mon 22-Apr-13 08:36:01

That was quick- thanks! Any tips on brands?

SorrelForbes Mon 22-Apr-13 08:44:31

What department stores do you have near you? Can you visit Bravissimo? The best, most easily available brands who stock smaller band sizes include Freya, Panache and Fantasie. Bravissimo bras are only available at their stores (or on-line).

It's very much a trial and error thing. I don't get on with Freya or Fantasie but love Fauve bras which are made by the same company. Similarly I don't like Panache but love Cleo, again, the same company!

ThePendant Mon 22-Apr-13 10:54:11

Can I ask one more question?

A common problem that I have tha rules out the majority of bras that I try on is that the central gore twists to one side so that it is not sitting flat. I assume that this is causes by having one side bigger than the other, but I can't figure out why this is a problem with some bras but not others. At the moment the Bravissimo Alana is the on bra that fits. I used to wear Freya bras all the time, but now these all twist and so don't sit flat. I'm a 32J btw. Thanks smile

Hedwig06 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:41:58

Morning smile

Could you lovely ladies help me out with my sizing please.

I'm measuring 32/33 under but that's quite tight.

Over the bust I'm 43.

I'm currently wearing a 34G. But I'm falling out the top of them and the underwire is digging in under my arms??

Many thanks x

MaBumble Mon 22-Apr-13 11:42:35

heres one for you, measured bending over - 41 round ribcage - 52 round bust. rather larger than the average bear smile

sparkle12mar08 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:49:21

Hedwig, try 32H and sizes around that, so 32H & HH, and if you really can't bear the tightness 34GG & H, but I suspect the 32 will be better - start off on the loosest hooks then you have somewhere to go as the bra gives a bit on wear and washing.

MaBumble, start with 40HH and similar sizes, if you're very squishy of torso (like me!) you may need to size down in the back so 38HH & J, 40H & HH possibly.

Hedwig06 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:50:34

Thanks sparkle I'm off to have a mooch online. Are there any recommended brands/sites??

sparkle12mar08 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:52:02

Brastop is fab - they regularly have flash sales (like once a week) and the'r range of sizes and brands is impressive. They're great value and I've had brilliant service so far. Free delivery over £75 and 30 day free returns.

Hedwig06 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:56:49

Thank you sparkle I'll take a look xx

MaBumble Mon 22-Apr-13 12:53:18

Wow 38 or 40? I'm in a 42F right now and even that's uncomfy ... Off to order smile

sparkle12mar08 Mon 22-Apr-13 13:16:11

They're uncomfy beacuse they're about 4-5 cup sizes too small and your boobs are 'stealing' fitting space from the band making the whole thing feel tight and wrong smile

ThePendant
A J cup in a Freya bra rarely sits flat. The structure and strength of their bras above about a GG/H is seldom able to cope with the weight of the breasts it's supposed to be supporting. The centre gore is also too wide for the space it usually has to work with.
As a fitter, I don't bother with them at that size at all. Panache/Cleo or Bravissimo own brand every time.

I'd agree re Freya - I can get away with some of them (30HH/J) but they definitely do not sit as flat against my torso as bravissimo bras do. Fantasie are the same - their wires feel softer to me.

If you like the Alana you might get on with quite a few Bravissimo bras. I love the Betsy Bow at the moment.

ThePendant Mon 22-Apr-13 20:03:56

Thanks both. That makes perfect sense, I was probably still a H when I last wore a Freya. Which raises the other question of why my boobs keep growing without me putting on weight....

Will have a look at the betsy bow. Are there any others in a similar shape? I currently own 5 different Alanas!

Thanks.

Most of their balconette styles are a similar fit, with the exception of the Aleya or Boudoir Beau which run truer to size i.e. a cup bigger than Alana.

ThePendant Mon 22-Apr-13 21:10:15

Thanks.
Do you mean that those are a cup size bigger, or that they are smaller and I need a cup size bigger?

Sorry for the confusion! Alana is a cup small. Aleya and Boudoir Beau are fairly true to size. So if you're a J in Alana, you'll probably need a HH in the Aleya/BB.

ThePendant Mon 22-Apr-13 22:57:13

Thanks.

Hedwig06 Tue 23-Apr-13 10:57:48

There's a flash sale on at the moment on www.Brastop.com

xx

Lindt70Percent Tue 23-Apr-13 14:37:10

Can I join in with this. I'm measure 30 underneath and 36 above. Currently wearing a 32C which I'm certain is too small in the cup as I've got the 4 boob thing going on. Should I be trying a 30D? I really can't bear the thought of going to the shops and trying loads of bras on but is it possible to get it right online?

A 30D has the same amount of cup space as a 32C. Given your measurements, and the fact that you're already finding the cup too small, I'd suggest starting with a 30E.

It's harder online, if only that shape has as much to do with fit as size. Like buying jeans or shoes, being your size does not guarantee a comfortable or flattering fit. A bit of trial and error I'm afraid but worth it.

Beksybob Wed 24-Apr-13 09:52:59

I'll get in trouble for this but I have purchased a non-wired 30C, despite measuring in at 30F. It is way, way comfier than the various wired 30Ds and 30DDs that I have been trialling over recent weeks (and one 30E which was only good for comedy value).The 30D in this one was obviously too big. And I don't have any quadraboob or armpit boob or anything going on. And I can cope with it all day...

I might just need easing in to this bra thing...and it's got be be better than my former 34AAs, right?...[sheepish face]

Saltire Wed 24-Apr-13 10:04:45

Well I finally got round to purchasing some new ones. After giving my measurment on here and was suggested a 38g/gg or 36g. I tried a 38g, which fits really well but is so uncomfortable. It is underwired and the wires seem to come up really high at the front, so if I am siting down and have a top with a neckline, then the bra shows from the neckline becasue the wires go so high. IYSWIM.

I then tried on and purchased a 38E from tesco. just a basic £6.00 underwire bra, which fits well, no digging in, doesn't ride up, no extra high underwires etc. So might try a couple more in that size from different companies to see how I frae

This thread is not accepting new messages.