Is there a new bra intervention thread somewhere?

(1000 Posts)
lookout Sat 09-Mar-13 13:30:14

All of the other ones are closed now and I still need some help!

Thanks Statistically, I will have a look at them smile.

I can see me spending a fortune. blush

SorrelForbes Thu 04-Apr-13 19:09:22

I'm hoping to shed a few pounds for summer but I doubt if I'll ever make it back to a G now!

Got a couple of the Ann Summers Pure Lace bras today, bit of a bargain at £6.25 per bra. Nice fit as well. I do like the fact that the central gore is low as my boobs are quite close together though wide and if the gore comes too high up, it rubs and hurts. Overall pretty pleased, at least now I have a few more basics to build on.

AngryFeet Thu 04-Apr-13 19:14:48

So i measured myself after reading this thread. 38 under bust and 46 over when bending over. 38h??!! I have been.wearing 38d but tried a 38e today and it fit perfectly - well i think it did. I.just filled the cups so cant imagine an h would.work. Either way my boobs now sit nice and high and i pulled all the breast tissue around. The band doesnt dig in and sits flat between boobs now. I.am a convert - will try an h soon to be sure though ;)

AngryFeet - 38 and 46 would be a starting point of a 38FF - the difference between that and the E will be in the magic scooping

stoofadoof Thu 04-Apr-13 21:37:17

how very rude… i got advice a few weeks (and many pages!) ago… it was ace, has made a big difference and I'm very grateful - thank you thanks

just need to find the nearest decent bra shop now smile andlosethethreestoneIreallyneedto

Beksybob Fri 05-Apr-13 10:45:17

So, I'm wearing a new bra today. It feels really weird. I can feel every part of it all the time. That might just be because I'm thinking about it and/or not used to wearing bras.

It sort of feels like it's pushing them further apart. It doesn't look like it is though. Maybe it's just making me more aware that they actually are really far apart?! I guess I'm not used to the cups going so far around.

Also, it's a 30D although I measure at more like 30F, but there's no bulging out of it after scooping. I tried the DD and it was a bit wrinkly and empty at the bottom. Can that be right?

What's going on, is it just going to take a bit of getting used to?

I can't find a link to it, it's just a plunge t-shirt bra type.

SorrelForbes Fri 05-Apr-13 11:00:46

Beksybob Hmmm, I find that I can't really feel my bras after about 5 minutes.

Which bra is it? If it's one of the moulded types of t-shirt bra then I'm not surprised that the size was very different to how you measured. These types of bras are often a bit odd size wise! I only own one (Freya Deco) and it's a 30G (I'm a 30GG) and I have bad gaping at the top.

With regards to the wrinkly/empty cup, that can often be caused by the 'orange in a glass' effect where the cup is too small for the boob to sit right in the bottom of the cup.

How long have you had the bra on? Have you scooped again?

Beksybob Fri 05-Apr-13 11:20:59

Not moulded, but not sheer either. It's like the stuff the Cleo Juna is made of, if you know that one?

Been wearing 4 hours now, but I'm really not used to wearing bras regularly.

I like the orange in a glass analagy!

I have scooped again but everything seems to be staying put. There's really nothing to scoop anyway.

I've ordered a Deco, wanted to see what it was like after hearing so much about it!

Hanginggardenofboobylon Fri 05-Apr-13 11:36:34

So the Curvy Kate's (elegance/tempt me) work too! Hurrah! Thanks for all your help ladies, I will leave you alone to help those in need thanks

AmazingDisgrace Fri 05-Apr-13 11:54:37

Bit the bullet and ordered the Masquerade Rhea from SimplyBe, at £16 in their sale it was too good not to. I know the band on this comes up small so ordered a 32FF and a 34F thinking that the 34 would be the more likely. The 32FF is a good fit, the band is nowhere near as tight as my other 32 Masquerades but the 34 was falling off me, I think a 30 would be way too tight in this.

Again, watch out if you buy bras from them, given how comfortable this supposed 32 is and reviews advise often to size up in the band for the Rhea, I reckon this isn't a 32 and its a 34. Just like in the Fauve's I ordered from them hmm

Beksybob Mon 08-Apr-13 08:08:28

Bra updates from the weekend, if anyone can help!

Got the Freya Deco in 30D and 30DD. Bit useless. Boobs got lost in there and gappy. Probably would have worked if it was a push up.

I got a couple of push up plunges but I think my shape just suits balconys better.

Best fitting one I got was this Debenhams Bra but it really chafed where the cup meets the straps almost in my armpit! It seems to sit further in on the picture on the model, which would prevent the problem if it sat like that on me! (Also, didn't give me the boobs on the model either, damnit)

SorrelForbes Mon 08-Apr-13 08:14:47

Tbh the Freya Deco doesn't really work on me. I get gaping regardless of cup size! Moulded, plunge bras don't suit everyone. Have you tried the Cleo Juna? It's more of a balcony shape. I own a few!

Ok, the Debenhams one. Ignore the pictures, that bra doesn't fit the model very well at all. The cup is too small. She has major Inder arm bulge and the central gore doesn't appear to be sitting flat. I bet a side view would show that she's also got some quadraboob going on too!

Beksybob Mon 08-Apr-13 09:16:57

I have tried the Juna too but the lace bit was all flappy and wrinkly. Anything with an unstructured top part to the cup doesn't seem to work because, well, I've got nothing to hold it there!

I can't see the underarm bulge on the Debenhams model! I can see underarm skin but not bulge.There's no hope for me! The cropped top thing I'm wearing now has that skin exposed, which is heaps more comfy than the bra sticking into the soft skin there. I just checked the label, it's a size 10A whatever that means! Oh dear.

SorrelForbes Mon 08-Apr-13 10:18:57

If you look at the 2nd picture (top half of model), all that skin/flesh to the right of the pic (the model's left) is boob and should be in the cup!

Hopefully married or SC will be along soon with some more bra suggestions. I think Bravissimo and Curvy Kate do some smooth balcony type styles?

Beksybob Mon 08-Apr-13 14:15:14

So maybe the Debenhams one is right on me then? If the top of the cup is supposed to sit right at the crux of my armpit? And piss me off no end...

SorrelForbes Mon 08-Apr-13 14:58:09

It sounds like it's just the wrong cut, too high at the sides for you?

SorrelForbes Mon 08-Apr-13 14:58:36

Half price sale at Boux Avenue

AlwaysOneMissing Mon 08-Apr-13 16:06:17

I am amazed at the good work being done here for women all over the UK! It actually makes me very angry that I have been going to M&S for years, believing that they are experts! I have been handing over good money to them, to come away feeling like I am a freak and can not fit in any size bra.
I think my confidence has actually increased just from reading this thread!! And I've only lurked up to now!!

I have been wearing a 32D for years - but since BF 2DC Have no idea what size my flat and horrible breasts are now. The last bra I bought was a 32B which I know does not fit well, but after M&S suggesting a 34B but telling me that "we're sorry but no bras fit you, you'll just have to keep trying yourself and get the closest one" (but then not actually helping me to find one) I had given up hope.

My new measurements using your advice are 27" and 33". Am I right in thinking that makes me a 28E?

And Becksy I get the same problem as you, the sides of the bra coming up to my armpits and rubbing - I'm not sure if that's because I've been in a 32" band (too big) or whether my breast tissue just starts high and wide (I do have breast tissue going into my armpit crease).

SorrelForbes Mon 08-Apr-13 16:16:26

AlwaysOneMissing Try a 28DD and a 28E. You may need a 26 in some brands but they are pretty impossible to find without having a bra custom made. There are blogs on the internet about altering the band and there's a gadget called a Rixie Clip which you can buy from eBay that will also let you make the band smaller.

Debenhams Gorgeous brand often comes up small in the back so perhaps try some of their 28 bands? Make sure you sort the band size by putting the bra on back to front first.

Allthingspretty Mon 08-Apr-13 16:23:44

I spotted this in Instyle magazine amd thought it would be worth posting here

Bra Stop code. STYLE12 gets you 12% off until the fourth of may

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 08-Apr-13 22:13:32

Can I make an enquiry on behalf of my DD (15)?
She's 31'' underneath, 36'' at the fullest point.

I usually take her to John Lewis and it's been fine so far, but last time we got a useless assistant who seemed half asleep and we left with a 34D which is far too big in the band, and a 32E which seems okay - but ahe didn't really leave us with a good idea as to her actual size.

She wants to order some online but I feel like I'm just guessing as to size.
Any idea what size I should use as a starting point?

(Sterling work, btw smile).

As a starting point, she should be trying 30E, 30DD, 32DD and 32D based on the measurements however if the 32E seems not too bad I suspect she may be someone who needs a slightly bigger cup than she measures - so I'd also try a 30F (same cup volume but smaller back)

Have a look at the info over on thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk which gives some info on what a good bra should look like and evaluate her 32E with a critical eye.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 08-Apr-13 22:18:52

Ok will do - tvm!

TigerseyeMum Mon 08-Apr-13 23:18:17

I'm a 28 E and got 2 in Bravissimo this weekend. Wore one today and no more wire rubbing, chafing or armpit poking. Lovely.

I had the proper fitting done and it was amazing how many 28 Es didn't fit. The Freya Deco was hopeless.

They weren't cheap but id rather have 1 good one than 10 useless ones. I get so much pain it's not worth it.

This thread is not accepting new messages.