Inspire me - how do you wear your black trousers?

(34 Posts)
sweetheart Thu 07-Mar-13 12:21:56

In a bif to stop buying more clothes I don't need (and might not wear) I have been using pintrest to try and pin inspiration so that I can make new undiscovered outfits from the things I already own.

I've noticed that nearly everything I've pinned is with jeans which I can't wear to work. I've got a few pairs of black trousers which I never wear because I have no inspiration. Trousers i have are:-
1. 1 pair black skinny / cigarette type trousers
2. 1 pair coated skinnies
3. 2 or 3 pairs of bootcut type work trousers (which I haven't worn for over a year!)
4. 1 pair black skinny jeans
5. Black leggings - which are the ones which get worn the most.

I'm just totally lacking in ideas of what to wear them with, I think I find shoes the hardest - I have pretty much every colour but I always feel stupid wearing coloured shoes with black trousers. Probably because my wardrobe is mostly navy blue (my black) and browns which I don't really like to mix with black.

I wear very little black - it's a colour I actively avoid normally but being a pera shape it should probably be my best friend bottoms wise.

Any ideas?

Andro Mon 11-Mar-13 12:42:15

I love to team colours with black. Mid blues through to ice blue works well for me, as does mid shades of green through to ice green. Scarlet looks great on most blondes from what I've seen. Team with a black jacket/blazer and (with boot cut/smart black trousers) you have a smart outfit for work.

carrie74 Mon 11-Mar-13 12:42:46

Oh dear. Perhaps it could benefit with some accessorising (MN scarf? Bracelets? )

Abra1d Mon 11-Mar-13 12:52:29

I wear black trousers almost every day during winter and am hard pushed to think of anything they don't go with!

Petrel blue, white and black shirt-- tick
Camel cashmere jumper--tick
Coffee cashmere jumper--tick
Pink jumper--tick
Cream silk shirt--tick
Brown boots--tick
Black boots--tick

Andro Mon 11-Mar-13 13:10:38

Abra1d - I have to agree about the coffee cashmere jumper and black trousers...few things look more effortlessly stylish.

Abra1d Mon 11-Mar-13 13:18:06

Andro you have made my day.

sweetheart Mon 11-Mar-13 14:55:52

carrie, I have a scalf and necklace on - perhaps it's because I'm so bloomin cold so I've had to stick a great big cardigan over the top thus ruining the entire look!

Now black and coffee - I might have to make an addition to my warbrobe for that. i only have stone or brown, nothing "coffee" coloured.

buildingmycorestrength Mon 11-Mar-13 16:59:56

I think pale blue is a good one to team with black troos, plus it goes with charcoal or white.

I wear a lot of charcoal grey with black. Or more black...tho a scarf can be good if black not good near your face.

Grey or black shoes or boots for me. Or pale blue.

CointreauVersial Mon 11-Mar-13 17:37:07

If you are going to wear a scarf, try to find one with some black in the pattern to pull in the colour of the trousers.

Ditto necklaces/bracelets

sweetheart Tue 12-Mar-13 15:56:11

Day 2 - for anyone thats interested......

I'm in black / teal and grey today and feeling more "put together" than yesterday. I have a large teal statement necklace which is helping to detract from the doudyness of the cardigan I am having to keep wrapped up in because it's still so bloomin cold!

So, black trs,teal vest, grey jumper & cardigan, big teal necklace

I think this black trs thing will be easier when it's warmer and i can bare a bit of flesh!

I was gonna go for red and black tomorrow but I don't think I'll be able to bear wearing court shoes so I'll have to re-think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now