Foundation, powder and shiny nose woes

(18 Posts)
SueFawley Mon 04-Mar-13 21:45:08

I am 51. My nose still gets as oily and shiny as it did when I was 16.
Foundation seems to make it worse -when I don't wear any make up it doesn't get as shiny as quickly as it does when I DO wear make up. confused

I've tried Revlon CS. I've tried ELDW. I've tried milk of magnesia, brought me out in horrid spots. I've tried powder on top of foundation but that just ages me.

I was going to try Mac Prep and Prime but I notice from reviews at Makeupalley that it's been reformulated and the new formula is getting shite reviews.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to give up on wearing any foundation at all, but my skin really isn't up to being bare.

I was wondering if a mineral powder may help, I need reasonable coverage and I hate shine, tried Bare Minerals and it was horrid on me.

Any suggestions please?

CuttedUpPear Mon 04-Mar-13 22:43:02

I've been using Porefessional by Benefit, it is really good, you just use a little to cover the shiny area. At 51 you're bound to have a few visible pores, I'm 47 and have those in my shiny areas.

Also good is Body Shop Seaweed Mattifying Day Cream - it kind of gently tightens and mattifies everywhere you put it. It is completely transparent and goes on quite wet (and cold) but dries quickly and really makes me less shiny.

Allthingspretty Tue 05-Mar-13 08:12:09

Corn silk powder. Maybe read sali hughes columns on the net for tips

Eliza22 Tue 05-Mar-13 08:29:11

If you're willing to continue with a foundation, try clinique Stay Matte. It's a really good medium coverage but feels like "nothing" on and with a bit of Benefit Porefessional, stays matte for me.

MrsApplepants Tue 05-Mar-13 09:16:51

Have you tried corn silk powder? I have very oily skin and it works a treat for me.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Tue 05-Mar-13 09:19:10

my pores are shrinking by the day after using salyciclic (sp?) acid on my nose every other day and a sudocrem 'mask' once a week. skin is slightly dry at the moment because of this but am eagerly awaiting my la roche posay miracle cream (according to a thread here) to be delivered. do you use a powder on the difficult bits to set your foundation? worth a try.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Tue 05-Mar-13 09:21:57

oops sorry re read and saw you have tried this. I second the porefessional but only use a little as when I tried it first it all went a bit 'claggy' and bits flaked off when I put foundation on top. maybe I did not wait for it to sink in properly.

QuinnFabray Tue 05-Mar-13 10:25:13

Salicylic acid is great. I use La Roche Posay Effaclar K as a daily moisturiser/treatment. This has SA in it and it really helps my skin. I still use MAC prep and prime spf 50, it's not as good as it was, but it still helps. Also, MAC mineralise skin finish natural is a very nice non-ageing powder. Kind of mattifying yet glowy. I use this as a setting powder, and to touch up over a liquid foundation but it can be used as a foundation on it's own.

Never found the perfect foundation. I keep going back to ELDW, it's not perfect but it lasts the longest on my skin. And I still have to touch up, blot a couple of times a day.

SueFawley Tue 05-Mar-13 10:59:33

Thanks for your suggestions. Some products mentioned here that I haven't heard of before.
I'm already dreading summer - if we have one - because my T-zone gets much oilier then.

I live in the sticks so I need to arrange a trip out to somewhere I can try Benefit and MAC. The MAC skin finish sounds lovely. I can order online for delivery to my local Boots for the La Roche Posay and the Corn Silk powder. I used that when I was in my late teens, I didn't even know it was still available so that can be my retro product!

I don't really want to give up on foundation because I do need a bit of coverage to look more polished these days. I haven't seen the Clinique Stay Matte foundation, it must be quite new? I do tend to find that Clinique foundations don't come in a pale enough shade for me though, but I will still look into it.
My skin is fairly neutral toned, so if I mixed Revlon CS in Ivory and Buff 50/50, that would be about right - I find the Ivory too pink and the Buff too yellow.
Same problem with ELDW, couldn't get a good shade match.

Is the Benefit Porefessional similar to a product they used to make called Dr Feelgood? It was a waxy formulation but did nothing for me.

Plumpcious Tue 05-Mar-13 12:17:20

Stock up on face blotting tissues from Muji. They absorb oil from your face without removing your make-up.
www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=17&Sub=70&PID=281

I just to use Corn Silk foundation but it was discontinued sad. Currently using Max Factor Xperience foundation (which isn't particularly mattifying but not as bad as a completely non-mattifying foundation) on top of Clinique Pore Minimiser (also discontinued, or rather reformulated, renamed, more expensive, and not getting as good reviews). Running out of that so will need to find an alternative - intending to try Boots No 7 Primer.

I've got a trial size of Benefit's POREfessional which is OK but expensive. As it's tinted it would be good to use alone if you just wanted a very light coverage, but as I'm putting foundation on top I don't think it's worth the money just as a primer as it's not mattifying enough for me. I got it last year as a gift attached to a magazine - can't remember which one but I think the same mag does a selection of Benefit freebies every year. No doubt fellow MNetters will know which one and what time of year to look out for it.

But definitely try the Muji blotting tissues. They're small and come in a little card folder so they're easy to carry around in your make-up bag to use throughout the day.

SueFawley Tue 05-Mar-13 12:57:09

I'd forgotten about blotting tissues!
I spent some time in the US several years ago and used to use some called Clean and Clear. Also when I was younger I used Body Shop ones but they were powdered and they changed the colour of my make up which wasn't good but back then, mid 1980's, there wasn't anything else to help. grin

I'll definitely try the Muji ones as long as they are just the blotting tissue and not coated with powder?

I've also tried a product launched by Clinique last year I think it was called Pore Mattifier or something and it dried my nose out so much it was flaking, then it just got even oilier.

mumtoh Tue 05-Mar-13 12:58:31

The ELF Mineral Booster is also good, I use this over foundation and it's quite a sheer finish, not cakey:
http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/en/restofworld/powder/mineral-booster/invt/6600/

bigbadbarry Tue 05-Mar-13 13:00:38

I've got clarins primer which de-shines me

Plumpcious Tue 05-Mar-13 13:34:53

The Muji blotters are definitely just paper, no powder. I used another type in the 90s, might have been Clean & Clear - it was a blue, vinyl-type sheet - but that was discontinued too. Fortunately I found the Muji ones and now don't feel as guilty about the environmental impact because they're made of paper not plastic.

QuinnFabray Tue 05-Mar-13 13:46:48

You can get paper blotting papers from Boots too - usually near where the teenage skin care is. I use Boot's own ones. Or kleenex do them ( they're plasticky ), or I buy Shiseido blotting sheets from eBay, they're good because they're twice the size.

spanishring Tue 05-Mar-13 14:11:05

Lily lolo mineral foundation is my best weapon against shiny noses. You can reapply every so often without the cake / flake setting in.
Also salycilic acid stuff and something like deleor aroma shine might help.

knitknack Tue 05-Mar-13 18:14:09

You can get loads of diff types of blotting papers (including the clean and clear blue films, and def NO bodyshop powder ones!) from eBay - cheap as chips if you don't mind waiting for delivery from china!

Hobbes8 Tue 05-Mar-13 21:50:48

YSL Matt Touch is a really good primer. I used it under Doublewear for my wedding and was oil free all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now