Top lip...to thread or wax or what?!

(31 Posts)
SequinsOfEvents Sun 03-Mar-13 16:47:57

Hello there

Quick thing.....after many years of hating my admittedly not that bad top lip hair, I finally went to see about laser treatment. To cut a long story short, it won't work as most of the hair is blonde, laser works least well on the face (apparently) and, the clincher for me, I'd have to shave shock to have it done.

So I've decided to make an effort in another way and just wondered if anyone had any advice.

I have been bleaching for years so any advice on waxing or threading? Anyone had this done and happy with results? Ideas regarding time between appointments or any drawbacks I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help

Skyebluesapphire Sun 03-Mar-13 23:58:17

my friend/neighbour is a beautician and she waxes my eyebrows, top lip and chin for me. I have been doing this for the past 12 months since turning 40 and since XH left, not that he left coz I have a 'tache I just felt like I had a dark shadow and I feel better for getting it done.

I still get the odd wiry black hair that needs plucking though (on my chin)

waxing doesnt hurt much once you are used to it

FizzyWine Mon 04-Mar-13 00:12:25

I pluck too! although I never even thought I needed to until I looked in one of those big lit up magnifying mirrors, scary!

SequinsOfEvents Mon 04-Mar-13 02:44:53

All great replies - thanks

My biggest worry (as I'm sure is obvious!) is stubbly / spiky hair as re growth and forever regretting I ever touched it! Seems that isn't a problem with any method.

To the poster doing the electrolysis, how is the re growth post shaving?

daimbardiva Mon 04-Mar-13 19:02:58

I use depilatory cream too on my upper lip, simple, quick, effective and cheap. Regrowth is fine too. I just pluck rogue chin hairs, v satisfying. I always get my eyebrows done professionally - waxed. Tried threading once and it made me cry it was so painful. I suspect the therapist may have been rubbish as I've given birth twice with no pain relief!

valiumredhead Tue 05-Mar-13 08:40:33

I am sick of keeping up with my facial hair - I can't wax or use cream as my skin is too sensitive - I have just ordered a Lady shave grin

holidaysrcoming Tue 05-Mar-13 12:07:25

sequin i'm afraid that i am a cautionary tale - i waxed under my chin and the fine hairs have been replaced by dark thicker regrowth. Wish i'd never started. I too bleach, and would rather have a blonde fine tache than a stubbly dark one. i honestly believe my facial hair is caused by hormones and nothing will kill it - i have threaded, had electrolysis for years, laser twice and it just comes back, or is coming back in a different place.

I know others have had success but I think we all have differing level of male hormones. I clearly am half male/gorilla - joy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now