"Edgy" casual spring jacket that isn't a blazer and isn't leather.. does it exist?

(19 Posts)
Smugsmuggler Tue 26-Feb-13 15:03:47

I have long ago learnt the first rule of dressing well which is Good Coat Covers All. And I have a good winter coat. But I am buggered if I can find myself a new spring jacket with the right "feel".. It needs to defrump/upstyle my fairly tame mum-making-an-effort wardrobe.
I did have a nice black leather biker, but it got nicked last autumn, and i am not sure how long leather is going to do the trick (fashion trend and my elderly age). And it could do with being warm enough for the cool spring days.
I am 5ft tall, size 8-10. Budget 50-150. Need blacks/blues/greys or other cool" colours (can't cope with browns/tans).
Any inspiration ladies?

SteppingOnLego Tue 26-Feb-13 15:18:18

How about this jersey biker jacket from Hush?
Jacket

StephaniePowers Tue 26-Feb-13 15:32:58

Warehouse had some today

ArcticRoll Tue 26-Feb-13 15:54:24

Quite a few of the shops have those floral quilted jackets which are supposedly edgy as copies of Isabel Marant but they are very Marmitey- I think they are hideous but lots of fashionistas seem to like.

QueefLatina Tue 26-Feb-13 15:56:31
DancingRoundTheKitchen Tue 26-Feb-13 19:20:54

I saw this the other day and liked it.

SofaCanary Tue 26-Feb-13 19:51:55

I'm with you Arctic, they're fucking horrendous looking things!

pixi2 Tue 26-Feb-13 19:55:31

Leather will ALWAYS work regardless of age. I am a huge fan of muubaa.

I also have a neutral suede biker jacket that people always comment on and it was (in hushed tones.... £12 in a new look sale).

jamaisjedors Tue 26-Feb-13 20:30:48

I have been looking for pretty much exactly the same thing.

I have seen a lot of quilted jackets around, but they are a little Barbour-ish for my taste, they look like something out of Country Living but seem to be everywhere. Any opinions?

jamaisjedors Tue 26-Feb-13 20:33:17

Oh I like the Baukjen one.

Not sure I could wear it to work though - perhaps two are needed, one smartish and then one more biker?

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 20:34:43

I ordered a navy suede one from mango and it looked great but I sent it back! hmm Might have to re order as it was very nice

AnyFucker Tue 26-Feb-13 20:40:53

what is "edgy" ?

I saw this on a model on This Mornign today, and it looked gorgeous for spring

JumpHerWho Tue 26-Feb-13 20:40:55

Have a look at the Zara website, they have loads of fab spring jackets with leather or ethnic detailing, perfect to add pizazz to outfits. I love WITH COMBINATION LAPEL this . But yy you are never too old for a simple leather biker, especially if you're slim. Mint Velvet have a beauty in the sale in an oxblood colour, only size 8 left quilted leather jacket/sale/mint-v/fcp-product/2180 here or All Saints or Muubaa do gorgeous ones but more £££. Topshop have a good basic leather biker for about £150 and River Island have one for £100 with quilting details which shall be mine this weekend smile

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 20:43:21

A couple of my mates have the Mint Velvet one.One wears to work looks good on her but she is flat chested don't think would look good with boobs I tried hers as lovely colour but looked mumsy on me as didn't 'hang'

JumpHerWho Tue 26-Feb-13 20:45:52

Ooh interesting noddy. I spent ages dithering over it this morning - I have a flat chest but wide shoulders so I don't think it would suit. Is it soft leather?

noddyholder Tue 26-Feb-13 20:53:51

Yes lovely jacket in every way quality etc just looked good on her (tiny) and I spoiled it! grin And I am not huge just boobs!

JumpHerWho Tue 26-Feb-13 20:57:36

Ok have ordered. Just to try on wink looks like free returns and is free delivery.

Smugsmuggler Tue 26-Feb-13 22:11:34

Wow..what a response. Thanks! I have just caved and ordered another leather biker, but I would have snapped up the Baukjen otherwise..lovely. When the leather turns out to be the wrong size (which it will I fear) I will then justify the splurge!

JumpHerWho Tue 26-Feb-13 22:13:31

Good job! Which leather biker did you go for?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now