Where to buy contact lenses online

(35 Posts)
furryfriends57 Sat 23-Feb-13 21:35:40

I am trying to cut costs at the moment and want to buy contact lenses online. Does anyone buy daily disposable lenses online and are happy with the service. How long from ordering to delivery and do they ask for evidence of your prescription before fulfiling the order.
Thanks a mil thanks, FF57

mollymole Tue 26-Feb-13 11:03:05

There are some web sites which will let you order without an up to date prescription - it is up to you if you choose to deal with a company that chooses not to respect professional practice.

Where I work we actually tell people that they can probably get their prescription on line cheaper than we can supply it (unless they are on 'special order' lenses) and we will check to see if this is more appropriate for them. We also help them make their first on line purchase if they want and supply the prescription details direct to the supplier.

Where we do the contact lens checks and supply the lenses the cost of the check is included within the monthly cost to the client. However, where we supply the lenses and do the checks the patient can have as many checks as they want within the year.

Where they only need 1 check per year we tell them that it works out cheaper for them to pay for an individual check as our costs are £25.50 per annual check or £40 for as many checks as wanted in 1 year. Some people have two checks a year and in our pratice ALL under 16's have 3 monthly checks.

When you buy your lenses on line it is necessary to factor in the costs of these checks into the overall costs.

EuphemiaLennox Tue 26-Feb-13 11:27:27

Oooooh, this seems so complicated.
Why did we ever think so much choice was a good idea??

So, Molly, on balance, in your opinion etc do you think if I'm some one who wants a yearly check, and usually chooses to go with the easiest option unless its going to save me loads more money, I'm better off just getting my lenses through specsavers if I'm happy with them as my optician?

I am also a Costco member, and have noticed that they do lenses. Does anyone know if they work out significantly cheaper?

mollymole Tue 26-Feb-13 11:44:37

If you have an annual check with your optom -and if it saves you a lot go online or Costco if they are good value then go this way .
If you are not going to save very much stick with the optom check & supply.

As I said - working in an opticians we do tell our px to go online if they want to get cheaper lenses - a lot of the lenses on line are cheaper to buy than we get them at supposed 'cost price'.

If it hardly saves anything by going on line then stick with you optom - after

EuphemiaLennox Tue 26-Feb-13 19:16:37

Thanks for your advice Mollymole. I'll have the check this week and get the opticians prices and then compare these to the online ones factoring in the yearly check on top.

At least I know what I'm doing now, but I do miss the simple days of the optician being the only choice.

this just now seems like another thing to do .

whateveritakes Tue 26-Feb-13 19:50:52

I would totally recommend gas permeable lens. They aren't popular with opticians because you don't get sucked in to buying lens every month.
Mine told me that people can't be bothered with waiting a week till they feel comfortable. Even though they are safer and healthier for your eye and cheaper.

Once you have the fitting and prescription you can buy them for $40 online (they ship to the UK). They last for years...

tb Wed 27-Feb-13 14:46:08

A word of warning. Many years ago - about 30 - dh got contact lenses for the first time. The optician - part of a national chain - was very proud of its computer measuring kit, that worked out the curve and diameter required for the lens.

So, he got his lenses, and had problems with them. He went to a smaller optician, and their trial lenses were, according to him, more comfortable than the others. He found that his cornea had been scratched by the computer-fit lenses.

6 months later, he developed iritis and stopped wearing lenses.

I've just had a lens check. I was waiting for a new prescription to order them as I didn't have much confidence in the opthalmogist who did our eye tests - she got dh's prescription out - -10 when he was 'only' -9.

I've been told not to wear them any more, as although my eyes aren't dry, there isn't much of the oily phase in my tears to lubricate the eye and a morning's wear on the way to the optician had caused a scratch. So, from monthly continuous wear lenses, if I wear them, it's got to be occasional daily disposable ones for me.

Pity, 'cos I did like wearing them rather than varifocal glasses.

mollymole Wed 27-Feb-13 16:39:44

All optical practices SHOULD offer free trial lenses every time there is a change of prescription, including the different base curves where applicable. It is unfortunate that they don't all do this - you may well find that a small independent is more likely to offer various trial options than the 'big chains'.

optometrist1 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:52:53

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

optometrist1 Thu 04-Apr-13 00:00:36

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

elenayfb Wed 10-Apr-13 14:03:33

I spent a lot of time looking for the best quality and prices. But finally decided the best choice is still there eBay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now