Time for a new bra thread

(1000 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 21-Feb-13 14:36:31

I am officially a mad bra lady. I staged an intervention today in M&S in an attempt to stop a young lady buying a 36B. She was with her mum who told me her daughter was a size 12 and that's why they'd picked up a 36. I advised her to try a 30! I am now feeling a mixture of shame and pride.

They were like this shock confused

Ooh thanks! Off shopping lol

I have visions of smoke coming out of your keyboard AF!

Fairy, I would say 32c is most likely, but I would always try at least one cup below and one above. So try a B and D at least too.

Onelittle, in theory a 36 is the right size. BUT. Do you have quite a "squishy" torso? (sorry, trying to phrase that nicely!) Sometimes, if you are a little squishy you need to downsize to get enough support as the band needs to be on a fairly firm surface blush . It may be worth trying a back size down (and at least one possible 2 cups up to compensate) and see how that feels.

Lol I'm a bit squishy - lost 3 stone and I'm a size 12 but I reckon I could still go another stone of wobble!

Can't wait to get bra shopping tho!

AnyFucker Thu 21-Feb-13 21:09:44

naoko...fgs, don't take your mother to M+S to get measured smile

I am a squashy one, I started a thread on this board about me being so squishy and needing some styling help. Sadly a whole lot of meds that I can't function without have made me put a lot of weight on.

VickiPicky Thu 21-Feb-13 21:11:20

Guidance for me too, please.

I measure 34 under boobs, and 36 with boobs. I was measured in Debenhams this week and told I was a 34B, but all the 34Bs felt too tight, so I was told to try a 36A. Found nothing in Debenhams that was comfortable or seemed to fit, but then found a lovely Calvin Klein bra, 36A - fitted great; looked great; result.

Have worn it today and its the most uncomfortable thing ever, though it does look great and appears to fit.

Problem seems to be that because I've lost some weight recently I'm now thin and a bit bony on my top half though my legs are still as fat as can be and now the underwiring seems to hurt, although not obviously digging in me. Don't know what to do about this - so want a bra that fits and is comfy.

Naoko Thu 21-Feb-13 21:14:05

Oh no AF, don't worry, I know better than that! I may assault her with a tapemeasure myself first grin Ideally I'd drag her to Bravissimo but the nearest is 60 miles away so I think I need an excuse.

Hmmm

Did you try a 34c at all Vicki? I am wondering if you may need a bigger cup and some serious scooping possibly? I have to do this myself!

Really hope I didn't offend anyone with squishy!

MrsReacher Thu 21-Feb-13 21:24:11

I am almost scared to ask as I seem to be a bit larger than you other ladies but I have struggled to find well a well fitting bra

I am 40 under bust and 46 over

MrsReacher not at all!

What are you wearing just now, and can you describe how it fits? Have a look at the post I put a bit further up that describes a good bra. I can tell you a size just on measurements but knowing what you wear now and how it fits would let us give you better advice

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 21-Feb-13 21:32:54

Hello Bra-sters!

Nobody link to anymore sales, okay wink?

MrsReacher Thu 21-Feb-13 21:33:01

Thanks. I am wearing 40 dd mostly from m and s which actually feel comfortable but Don't seem to give much lift.

I am rather saggy if I'm honest

LittleMissHocusPocus Thu 21-Feb-13 21:36:00

Oooh, could I ask for some sizing advice please? In need of new bras and was planning on going shopping tomorrow...

I measure 30.5 over ribs and 37 over the the top. Currently wear a 34d, but should I be in 30... err.. f? Or something?

AnyFucker Thu 21-Feb-13 21:37:06

Mrs R, I would be tempted to go a band size smaller (38) and look at the style of bra

try a balconette in a E and F cup

Based solely on your measurements I would have started at a 40E. But, if you are getting little lift I would seriously consider trying down at least one back size. There is a lady on the other thread who would "measure" as a 40 but needs between a 36 and a 38 in reality, and that's quite common. If you go down in the back, you will also need to go up one or 2 cup sizes to compensate.

Does your bra back seem to move/shift around? Can you fasten it on the tightest hook (back to front to take the cups out of the equation)

HocusPocus, step away from the 34s! I would suggest you start with a 30F, but try at least one cup size either side, possibly even 1 below and 2 above.

AnyFucker Thu 21-Feb-13 21:39:43

LittleM...yes, 30F smile

TheDoctrineOfSciAndNatureClub Thu 21-Feb-13 21:40:16

PickledLilly, are you sure your BF boobs are a 32B?

ClairesTravellingCircus Thu 21-Feb-13 21:44:26

Right I have my 32FFand I'm not happy!!

In the balconette style the wires dig do much into my breastbone they left and indent mark!

Bra experts what do you reckon is the problem? Style or size?

Thanksgrin

LittleMissHocusPocus Thu 21-Feb-13 21:44:43

Will do! Thanks Statistically!

Been thinking for some time that I probably shouldn't be having to do my bra up on the tightest hooks from new...

Am I going to struggle finding bras now though?

Any recommendations for where to shop?

Claires, is it just the central gore digging in? Which bra did you buy, and how does it fit otherwise?

HiggsBoson Thu 21-Feb-13 21:46:58

See...now I measure 30 under and 37 over, so you'd have thought 30F, but my 30E Gorgeous moulded bras gape. Admittedly there seems to be a good 2 cup sizes difference between my boobs.

Should I try a different brand/style?

LittleMissHOcusPocus, on the high street Debenhams, John Lewis and Bravissimo. Online...the world is your oyster. Brastop, Leia, Figleaves, CrazyClearance (good bargains), amazon, clara olivia....

HiggsBoson, moulded bras are actually quite unforgiving and just don't work on some people due to the shape. I struggle with them - I own a Deco which I have 2 sizes smaller than my "main" size and even then it can gape. A lot of people find moulded ok when they put them on, but that their breasts then settle in to them leaving gaps.

You may find yourself better with something unpadded and seamed - a good balcony/balconette like the Bravissimo Alana, something from Freya etc. If you want some padding, maybe try the Curvy Kate Tease me, Clea Juna or the Bravissimo Satine (which is a plunge but seamed)

Also Higgs, buy to fit your larger breast and pad the smaller one.

This thread is not accepting new messages.