Time for a new bra thread

(1000 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 21-Feb-13 14:36:31

I am officially a mad bra lady. I staged an intervention today in M&S in an attempt to stop a young lady buying a 36B. She was with her mum who told me her daughter was a size 12 and that's why they'd picked up a 36. I advised her to try a 30! I am now feeling a mixture of shame and pride.

They were like this shock confused

I caught a look at the fitting sheet at M&S - they write down what they fit/sell. The sheet was full and not a single woman fitted in anything less than a 34. hmm

sparkle12mar08 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:05:06

I just got a retweet from Ola Jordan for the betterbrablog and #wedontadd4anymore hashtag! Wasn't sure whether she would, given her Boux Avenue work - but she's likely to reach a lot of people! And if just one of them questions what they've been told, then it's a result!

hotbot Sun 03-Mar-13 18:53:07

32HH here, hate them , hate them.

sad hotbot

SorrelForbes Sun 03-Mar-13 18:59:52

sad hotbot.

Anything we can do to help? I'm a 30G who now really needs a 30GG/H!

FierceBadIggi Sun 03-Mar-13 19:00:56

Hotbot I'm hoping you are saying you hate M&S, rather than your boobs!
Statistically, could you advise? Have removed my new bra (34J, 36/49 in) having worn it all day. Really enjoyed having breasts higher than the band for once, and a wire that went under my arm instead of a 'U' at the front. BUT I do have a red channel the whole way round, worst at the back. Yet this size was the first where I couldn't pull it way out from my chest. Does it need to be bigger, or do I need to toughen up??

Is it just a single set of marks? And, more to the point, is it particularly sore? TBH, at a J cup you are never going to take a bra off and have no marks at all - it's just whether it is too much which is hard to judge. The problem is that a "too big" back gives hideous marks too, just different hideous!

hotbot Sun 03-Mar-13 19:29:00

Nope, hate my boobs, and they are measured right to. Have never been to m/s since I was a teenager and they tried to squeeze me into a 28b......... However sadie does the job very well now. Just hate having thick straps and 3 hooks etc. however I can't hate them that much as I wouldn't consider a boob reduction.!
Well done n the campaign. N the plus size friends are always surprised at my norkage as a well fitted bra does make you look smaller.

hotbot have you ever tried Ewa? I'm the same size range as you (30HH) and I wore one for the first time yesterday. It still has 3 hooks at the back but it's not chunky at all and the straps are actually a very "normal" size I would say. It was this one which actually looks amazing one.

hotbot Sun 03-Mar-13 19:53:38

They look lovely sc.

Worth a shot HB - my DH could not stop looking at my boobs last night going "but they look so high and perky and....."

It's also, bar none, the comfiest bra I have ever owned. And no more expensive than a basic Alana.

FierceBadIggi Sun 03-Mar-13 20:19:40

SC, you're right, taking off my size 40 bra at night was sometimes the highlight of my day! I think I'm finding the shiny-type fabric stiff, more used to wearing cottony bras since being pg.
Do the Ewa come up fairly true to size? I see they do nursing bras, but they're ones they make for you.

I've only tried a couple of Ewas so far so I am still figuring out their sizing. They sometimes seem to come up a little small in the back, but given that extenders are easy to get if you are special ordering I would probably get your usual back size as you can always extend it a little.

Not feeding bras but the backs on Curvy Kates are very soft

FierceBadIggi Sun 03-Mar-13 22:50:12

Oh thanks for that. From reading this and the other threads, it's clear even when you know your size you really need to try various sizes to account for differences between styles and models. Really wish for that reason I was coming up with a smaller cup size, as obviously easier to go shopping and try on lots than to order the same amount and return on line!
Am in Edinburgh - maybe I should post on local boards to see if anyone can recommend shops for the large of cup!

Erm...I'm an Edinburger!

FierceBadIggi Sun 03-Mar-13 23:19:51

shock Ha ha If I ever see you, I will know it's you by your elegant bosom! (Have bad feeling I will be staring at chests on the school run as an unavoidable side effect of all this bra stuff).
I thought everyone on mumsnet was from London, obviously not smile

I have just ordered 5 bras (can't keep them all) from the Debenhams sale, thanks to poster who mentioned it! Even got two nursing ones.

SC I have PM'd you wink

The Debs at Ocean Terminal is good for clearance bras quite often, has lots of Freya and Gorgeous. The one in Princes Street isn't bad either. House of Fraser is pretty useless, John Lewis is barely adequate, Bravissimo is wonderful, Jenners sucks, M&S hahahahaha, La Senza ditto.

And I'm yet to find a decent independent around here either...Conversation at the boutique on William Street went "Do you have this in a 28H" "no, I have a 32F"..."I'm a 28H"..."will you not just try it anyway"

There's your summary of Edinburgh bra shopping for H+cups

FierceBadIggi Mon 04-Mar-13 00:23:00

Thank you (again!) that is very useful - saves me a lot of legwork!
<Wonders what other skills SC and SF have - turning water into wine, possibly!)

SorrelForbes Mon 04-Mar-13 06:00:36

I can cure hiccups <proud>

NorthernNumpty Mon 04-Mar-13 07:32:35

I reported the thread and mumsnet towers are passing it to their campaign team.

Ooh thanks NorthernNumpty!

SorrelForbes Mon 04-Mar-13 08:56:16

Oh brilliant! Fingers crossed.

VenusRising Mon 04-Mar-13 09:19:03

Oh thanks everyone. I'll now look at balcony and plunge style for me 32hh boobs. I quite like my boobs separated a bit (if possible) as they look like a bum sitting on my chest otherwise.
I also am looking at the industrial elastic backs with three hooks and wishing that they didn't look so very matronly. Also yesterday I was wearing a Sophina bra from figleaves, and my right boob was bursting to get out - didn't realise one boob was perhaps a cup size bigger than the other....

I'm not in London either btw, so do all bra shopping online. I've also been shoved into a mns bra of dubious size, and all that huffing and pouring in the change room gives me the heebies now : online is where it's at, especially as you can return the items, so any suggestions gratefully accepted.

I'd hug you hotbot, but I don't think we'd meet close enough to see each other, what with the padding and all, so Ill just wave to fellow 32hh wearers! ((biscuitbiscuit))

Given that it's now Monday, could those of you who have experienced bad fittings please fb or tweet the heck out of the retailers and direct them to the campaign, blog, twitter etc? We might be more likely to get reactions during the week.

This thread is not accepting new messages.