ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Time for a new bra thread

(1000 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 21-Feb-13 14:36:31

I am officially a mad bra lady. I staged an intervention today in M&S in an attempt to stop a young lady buying a 36B. She was with her mum who told me her daughter was a size 12 and that's why they'd picked up a 36. I advised her to try a 30! I am now feeling a mixture of shame and pride.

They were like this shock confused

Jemster it does take a wee while for a new bra to be comfortable, so it may just be that. It's also possible the bra isn't quite right shape wise. I would maybe give it another day or two, but if it doesn't feel right after that maybe give them a call. Bravissimo are very good customer service wise - if they have fitted you and it isn't right they take them back even if they have been worn.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Wed 27-Feb-13 20:08:51

I have just posted a bra review on M&S website, mentioning that I do not follow the M&S bra fitters mehtod of adding four inchses to the underbust, but take the backsize from the underbust measurement,

Jemster Wed 27-Feb-13 20:21:20

Thank you SC. The one I bought is a moulded one as I wanted it as a t-shirt bra that wouldn't show anything if I was cold!!
The other one I tried was slightly more comfy, the Alana, but I was worried about it being too thin as no moulding.
I could only afford one at the time, this one cost £38.00!

Is there any way to know what style might be best for me without trying on as I don't live near the shop and had made a special trip?

showtunesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 20:23:26

A good blog post her about why the Plus 4 method doesn't work

It also links to the Ann Summers bra fitting page which again uses the Plus 4 method. What's funny though is that if you IGNORE the bit where it says Plus 4 or 5, it actually gave me a correct-ish size! confused

The Ann summers link accuses you of lying if you put a band size below 30grin

showtunesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 20:47:16

Ooh does it?

showtunesgirl Wed 27-Feb-13 20:48:22

Ooh it also says you're lying if you go over 40 for the bust bit! Nuts!

Love the lying Anne Summers Calculator!

13Iggis Wed 27-Feb-13 21:20:05

Hello, you must be completely innundated today with requests to revolutionise our bras, hope you don't mind yet another one!
Felt nuts measuring my droopy, still breast-feeding norks hanging over in mirror, but got the following measurements - 36 inches underneath, and 47 at biggest bit.
Just checked the bra I was wearing and it was a 40DD - I am guessing that won't be right!
As I'm big (size 18 at the moment blush ) I've always thought i needed a big size.
thanks

13Iggis at those measurements I would suggest you start with a 36J!

13Iggis Wed 27-Feb-13 21:45:04

That doesn't exist, does it? shock
Does it matter that they were somewhat, well, pendular when being measured? (ie empty sack sort of thing). Presumably will change again when I stop feeding ds2.

13Iggis Wed 27-Feb-13 21:45:21

Oh, and thank you very much!

Jemster For the price, you must have bought the Rebecca bra, which as a Fantasie style, fits quite generously in the cup. It may be that the centre is sitting on a part of your sternum that doesn't like a bra against it, or it may just be a tad too tight.

I'd suggest either scaling the Rebecca up one to a 34DD or trying a plunge t shirt style such as Panache Porcelain plunge in a 34E or Freya Deco in a 32F.

It does, I promise (just don't look for it in M&S!)

Try a wee hunt online - Figleaves, Bravissimo, brastop, Leia, Debenhams for starters

The cup size is always a bit rough (especially at bigger sizes) so whilst I would say to start with the J, be very critical when trying it on, look at the fitting info upthread *about post number 15ish) and make sure you know how it should fit. You may well have to try a couple of sizes either side of that cup to be sure what feels best

Ooh Married, just the Lady! How does the Gingham posey compare sizewise to the BetsyBow, do you know? Want to order and not sure if I should get my Alana size, my Betsy size, or some other random size!

Jemster Wed 27-Feb-13 22:05:36

Ok thanks, I might give it one more day and see but it felt such a relief to take it off tonight! Now I've been properly fitted I'm guessing i could go and buy 2 bras for that price somewhere else, m&s etc?

SC That's a tricky one! It's a bit tighter than Alana but fractionally looser/rounder in the cup. Give me your Alana and Betsey Bow sizes...

Jemster There is a degree of 'you get what you pay for' but you are in a small enough size to have a reasonably good selection on the high street. As I said, Fantasie do run big so try 32Es and Fs as a start point.

My new Alana is a 30HH (could possibly wear a J, kind of borderline but it is a black one) and my Betsy is a 32HH.

I just found your earlier post with the styles and sizes and wondered why your Alana wasn't a 30J- mind the wires don't pop out!

I'd go for the 32HH to be on the safe side. It's not quite as tight but definitely tighter than an Alana.

I've never yet lost an Alana wire! Touch wood! I'm ordering a new nude though so mught make it a 30J. Either my boobs have changed shape or the scooping has suddenly made them grow (or I have got fatter blush) cos half my old bras don't fit!

AmazingDisgrace Wed 27-Feb-13 22:56:35

OK so I think I'm going to be brave and venture into a 32FF. I'm 33 under and 40.5 over (dangling!) I'm wearing a 34F which is a recent improvement from when I first posted and was in a 34E. I'm finding I can do up brand new 34s on the middle setting easily but I am getting a little gaping at the very top of a full cup bra and the Masquerade Rossetti unless I stand soldier straight.

I do prefer a balconette as am quite wide set and do not like a full cup bra. I also hate 50's pointy boobage. I have to scoop a lot to deal with armpit bulge. Any styles you lot can recommend? I fancy the Delphi?

SorrelForbes Wed 27-Feb-13 23:16:51

My Fauve half cups (Lucia and Maya styles) have very wide set straps and seem to the best ones (for me) for holding in the armpit flesh! My Ewa Michalak CH Karmelki is also very good but I think it's been discontinued.

I like Fauve Lucia for the same reason Sorrel - I have a new burgundy one waiting for me to try it on

SorrelForbes Wed 27-Feb-13 23:27:27

I have the chocolate brown satin one. I think I might have to try a 30GG in the next one though.

This thread is not accepting new messages.