Time for a new bra thread

(1000 Posts)
SorrelForbes Thu 21-Feb-13 14:36:31

I am officially a mad bra lady. I staged an intervention today in M&S in an attempt to stop a young lady buying a 36B. She was with her mum who told me her daughter was a size 12 and that's why they'd picked up a 36. I advised her to try a 30! I am now feeling a mixture of shame and pride.

They were like this shock confused

FlutterClutter Fri 22-Feb-13 22:14:27

<rant alert>

I don't think ANY everyday garment should irritate your skin, leave marks, or be itchy.

If we can put a man on the moon, we should be able to design underwear that's supportive, soft, healthy and comfortable.

Nylon-encased plastic, wires, and hooks are NOT a good starting point.

GinAndSlimlinePlease Fri 22-Feb-13 23:53:22

SF, I scooped grin actually I have a wide back (I'm tall and a little broad) and it all fitted in perfectly.

I've worn the new bra all evening and it's very comfy.

AmazingDisgrace Sat 23-Feb-13 00:02:43

I've ordered a proper tape measure just to prove to my 15yr old daughter she should be in a 30DD rather than her 32D. I'm a size 12 with a broad back and am a 32FF/34F She is a 8-10, no way she's a 32. M&S said she was a 34, I intervened and flounced to John Lewis who said 32D. JL were at least close!

SorrelForbes Sat 23-Feb-13 08:22:34

Gin that sounds good. Comfort is all!!

SorrelForbes Sat 23-Feb-13 08:23:03

Great blog entry here

AmazingDisgrace it could even be a 28. M&S tend to add 4 then round up (or add 5!) so they can turn someone measuring 29" in to a 34! And they don't tend to pull the tape tight enough either.

notjustamummythankyou Sat 23-Feb-13 08:51:32

After reading all this, I'm going to go on a marathon shop this afternoon to get my post-bf boobies properly kitted out. I'm terribly excited!

smile

SorrelForbes Sat 23-Feb-13 08:58:27

Happy shopping! Be brave grin

notjustamummythankyou Sat 23-Feb-13 08:59:40

I will! And I'll report back with my findings grin

SorrelForbes Sat 23-Feb-13 09:05:16

Oh yes please do. Be really critical when trying on different styles. Don't settle for an ''almost' fitted'!

ComeAlongPond Sat 23-Feb-13 10:48:57

If I wear no bra and pinch my back, there's about a cm of flesh that I can hold. Is it normal for that to show in the bra? It's not a lot, from what I can tell it's invisible under clothes. But no amount of scooping gets rid of it and a cup size up is too big, and doesn't get rid of it either. So should the back band be completely flat or is normal to have a little bit of squash? (I'm quite skinny, size 6 and a 28 band.) Sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well...

A little bit of squash is normal I think ComeAlongPond. Unfortunately you would probably find that going up a back size would not improve matters anyway, you would just get different bumps and saggy boobs smile

If it bothers you it might be worth trying a longline bra, I got one yesterday and because the back has a 5 hook closure it certainly reduces the bumps.

ComeAlongPond Sat 23-Feb-13 11:03:40

Oh that's a relief. It doesn't bother me, it's hardly anything. I was just concerned that having finally found some perfect bras that they might not fit after all!

Secondsop Sat 23-Feb-13 11:06:16

I am loving these threads - they should be in "classics". So much useful information from the likes of statisticallychallenged and sorrell! I've learnt more than in any bra fitting ever. Am looking back with horror at my first bra fitting where I was measured over my clothes and told I was a 40B (I in fact now wear a 38F, or a G while breastfeeding). The whole thing of the side / underarm being part of the cup size wasn't explained to me until these threads.

AmazingDisgrace Sat 23-Feb-13 11:20:21

I suspect you're right StatisticallyChallenged, the worst offenders for me were La Senza who tried to tell me I was a 40C. I humoured them by trying one on. The woman who measured me there told me it was a perfect fit, I was falling underneath the band it was so loose!

fridgepants Sat 23-Feb-13 11:27:27

Top tip: Amazon are good for bras. I got refitted, typed my new size into search and have a beautiful Panache Lagoon for £8.86.

HazleNutt Sat 23-Feb-13 11:31:04

So I've been shopping for sports bras. I'm not even talking about those flimsy tops that come in S, M and L and do absolutely nothing, but proper, bloody expensive, high impact sports bras.

Who needs most support when doing sports? Right, women with big breast. So why the heck do most brands produce sports bras in A-D?? There are luckily some exceptions, but still, incredibly frustrating - even Shock Absorber's Run biggest size is 36F and they run small, so it's more like a 34 - bigger women don't run? Another sigh.

It's infuriating with sports bras, you end up just going for something which squishes them into submission!

CelticPromise Sat 23-Feb-13 11:55:33

I've said it before but...

For wrestling into submission, especially if you are a big back size- Enell. Their sizing is weird so trial and error would be needed. I have worn a size 1 when a 34G.

For good support and shape- Panache.

I've never got on with Shock Absorber. Their sizes are very strange.

lessbounce have a good selection, lots of reviews and they tell you the size of the reviewer which is great. But I think that sports bras are really about what suits you. I know some of you swear by Freya Active, but I absolutely can't run in mine. I wear it for hill walking.

soaccidentprone Sat 23-Feb-13 12:39:11

just been looking for a couple of T-shirt bra's and found these in a 28d, did and e for 5.25!. bargain

notjustamummythankyou Sat 23-Feb-13 12:58:05

I'm feeling all evangelical now.

Just been telling my sister about this thread and how she's probably wearing the wrong size. She's tiny - a size 8 at most - and has a really narrow back. She's been wearing a 32DD, but it's on the tightest hook and I managed to pull her bra out from her back by about six inches this morning! Poor love.

Have sent her a link to this thread with instructions on how to 'scoop' - will be interesting to see what her real size is!

notjustamummythankyou Sat 23-Feb-13 12:59:14

Oops - I think I just outed myself. Hi, Dsis! blush

ComeAlongPond Sat 23-Feb-13 14:16:26

Hi notjustamummy's sister!

I'm in a plunge now. It's remarkably comfy and gives me cracking cleavage shock Balconettes were recommended on the thread but I often find that the cups are the wrong shape for me, too wide-set, though I managed to pick one lovely one up yesterday. (I think I have narrow set boobs.) I'm going to take the brave step of taking the tags off this one in a few minutes and cut off the itchy label so it can't go back.

Thank you for this thread everyone, and the help you've given. I'm sure you get tired of explaining the same thing to us over and over again.

SorrelForbes Sat 23-Feb-13 14:22:51

I never get tired of bossing people around helping MNetters with bra sizing.

JeffFaFa Sat 23-Feb-13 14:45:49

This is slightly OT but does anyone who has bought bras from debehams know if you can do returns by post? it says in the parcel to return to store (cant) or via courier (faff) but it says online you can print out a slip and do it via post office, does anyone know if i can just do that even though parcel dosnt state it? dont want to keep ordering bras from them if i have to faff about with couriers everytime

This thread is not accepting new messages.