I'm going to Barbados in 4 weeks. Where can I buy clothes?

(19 Posts)

check out the cliff restaurant its fab and the snorkling with turtles have a great time

WileyRoadRunner Fri 08-Mar-13 12:04:58

I refuse to offer any input to this thread envy

but you could try Boden, Next or ASOS

Oh yeah; citronella oil for mosquitoes - put a few drops in your after sun - and bicarbonate of soda in bath sorts out sunburn and prickly heat. Coconut water is great for rehydrating and contains lots of good things for pregnant ladies; your partner may enjoy it with a splash of local rum!

Have you got any mates who were pregnant last summer and are your size?

I'd say get a couple of maxi dresses and kaftan/shifts plus sarongs and jewellery, and invest in nice swimwear. Airport will have nice coverups if you can't find online.

I live in Caribbean now and it will be v hot and humid at Easter but you'll still get trade winds. You don't need anything too dressy - a maxi dress and metallic flat sandals and bling jewellery will take you out anywhere.
Have a lovely time. And wear factor 30-50 and a hat. Tropics sun is v strong and even with permanent tan and olive skin I don't drop bellow SPF 40 and always wear wide hat: pregnancy makes you more likely to burn.

hintonxxwo Fri 08-Mar-13 00:47:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

AuldAlliance Fri 22-Feb-13 17:09:55

<<comes back to make a more constructive contribution>>

There are usually some quite nice floaty cotton summer dresses in La Redoute, if you pick and choose a bit. Their spring/summer stuff is out, I think.

MeanMrsMustard Fri 22-Feb-13 16:45:26

Thanks Rebecca, I'll have a look in Bridgetown. I didn't realise you get discounts for bbd. Good tip.

I have some lovely cushions from anthropologie. Will look at the clothes now!

Thanks everyone! I can't wait! It will be our last big holiday for a long time as Caribbean travel will be sadly low on our list of priorities when our child is born.

Rebecca54 Fri 22-Feb-13 11:06:24

Barbados is lovely - i'm really envious!

You may not have thought of it - but there are some really good shops in Bridgetown - and clothes were quite reasonably priced. You can pick up some good bargains. One tip - get some Barbados dollars as well as US dollars - you can get better prices with their own currency.

Paribus Fri 22-Feb-13 07:56:33

Antropologie? http://www.anthropologie.eu/en/uk/page/home/

JumpHerWho Wed 20-Feb-13 21:15:31

TK Maxx also worth a look, they always have lots of lovely dresses if you can be bothered taking through the rails.

envy - I went there on honeymoon, was bliss.

MiconiumHappens Wed 20-Feb-13 21:04:58

I was going to say Next also envy so wish this was my problem smile

MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 20:28:40

Thanks. I will look through both website when I'm on the laptop.

NeXt spring directory is out now.

Shenanagins Wed 20-Feb-13 20:07:15

Try asos. Also next have a tiny out of season range. Very jealous though!

Champagnecharleyismyname Wed 20-Feb-13 20:06:52

I am very jealous! Just take some cotton or linen dresses. Before kids we went to Barbados a couple of times and it really is too hot for trousers.

Have fun!

MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 19:58:40

Ha ha. I only mentioned Barbados to get across that it is going to be hot hot , not just warm. Sorry for showing off!
I will take up your experiment and repost with different details some point soon. smile
I hadn't looked at Boden. Will search now.

Thanks both!

AuldAlliance Wed 20-Feb-13 19:38:39

Everyone is too envy envy envy envy envy envy envy envy to reply.
As an experiment, maybe re-post with a vague title involving lightweight clothes but not Barbados and see if more people respond?

faustina Wed 20-Feb-13 19:28:21

how about Boden?

MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 18:26:54

Hi,
I'm off to Barbados just before Easter, and am in need of some clothes to wear. I'm thinking a smartish long dress to wear in the evenings if we go out, and a few cover up beachy things for the day time. I made the mistake last time of taking a viscose maxi dress and sweated like never before - it was unwearable! So I need cotton fabrics.
Any ideas of where to buy this time of year?
I'm a size 14 - 16, and will be 18 weeks pregnant.

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now