I'm going to Barbados in 4 weeks. Where can I buy clothes?

(19 Posts)
MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 18:26:54

Hi,
I'm off to Barbados just before Easter, and am in need of some clothes to wear. I'm thinking a smartish long dress to wear in the evenings if we go out, and a few cover up beachy things for the day time. I made the mistake last time of taking a viscose maxi dress and sweated like never before - it was unwearable! So I need cotton fabrics.
Any ideas of where to buy this time of year?
I'm a size 14 - 16, and will be 18 weeks pregnant.

Thanks!

faustina Wed 20-Feb-13 19:28:21

how about Boden?

AuldAlliance Wed 20-Feb-13 19:38:39

Everyone is too envy envy envy envy envy envy envy envy to reply.
As an experiment, maybe re-post with a vague title involving lightweight clothes but not Barbados and see if more people respond?

MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 19:58:40

Ha ha. I only mentioned Barbados to get across that it is going to be hot hot , not just warm. Sorry for showing off!
I will take up your experiment and repost with different details some point soon. smile
I hadn't looked at Boden. Will search now.

Thanks both!

Champagnecharleyismyname Wed 20-Feb-13 20:06:52

I am very jealous! Just take some cotton or linen dresses. Before kids we went to Barbados a couple of times and it really is too hot for trousers.

Have fun!

Shenanagins Wed 20-Feb-13 20:07:15

Try asos. Also next have a tiny out of season range. Very jealous though!

gregssausageroll Wed 20-Feb-13 20:12:52

NeXt spring directory is out now.

MeanMrsMustard Wed 20-Feb-13 20:28:40

Thanks. I will look through both website when I'm on the laptop.

MiconiumHappens Wed 20-Feb-13 21:04:58

I was going to say Next also envy so wish this was my problem smile

JumpHerWho Wed 20-Feb-13 21:15:31

TK Maxx also worth a look, they always have lots of lovely dresses if you can be bothered taking through the rails.

envy - I went there on honeymoon, was bliss.

Paribus Fri 22-Feb-13 07:56:33

Antropologie? http://www.anthropologie.eu/en/uk/page/home/

Rebecca54 Fri 22-Feb-13 11:06:24

Barbados is lovely - i'm really envious!

You may not have thought of it - but there are some really good shops in Bridgetown - and clothes were quite reasonably priced. You can pick up some good bargains. One tip - get some Barbados dollars as well as US dollars - you can get better prices with their own currency.

MeanMrsMustard Fri 22-Feb-13 16:45:26

Thanks Rebecca, I'll have a look in Bridgetown. I didn't realise you get discounts for bbd. Good tip.

I have some lovely cushions from anthropologie. Will look at the clothes now!

Thanks everyone! I can't wait! It will be our last big holiday for a long time as Caribbean travel will be sadly low on our list of priorities when our child is born.

AuldAlliance Fri 22-Feb-13 17:09:55

<<comes back to make a more constructive contribution>>

There are usually some quite nice floaty cotton summer dresses in La Redoute, if you pick and choose a bit. Their spring/summer stuff is out, I think.

hintonxxwo Fri 08-Mar-13 00:47:24

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

TrucksAndDinosaurs Fri 08-Mar-13 01:03:31

Have you got any mates who were pregnant last summer and are your size?

I'd say get a couple of maxi dresses and kaftan/shifts plus sarongs and jewellery, and invest in nice swimwear. Airport will have nice coverups if you can't find online.

I live in Caribbean now and it will be v hot and humid at Easter but you'll still get trade winds. You don't need anything too dressy - a maxi dress and metallic flat sandals and bling jewellery will take you out anywhere.
Have a lovely time. And wear factor 30-50 and a hat. Tropics sun is v strong and even with permanent tan and olive skin I don't drop bellow SPF 40 and always wear wide hat: pregnancy makes you more likely to burn.

TrucksAndDinosaurs Fri 08-Mar-13 01:09:57

Oh yeah; citronella oil for mosquitoes - put a few drops in your after sun - and bicarbonate of soda in bath sorts out sunburn and prickly heat. Coconut water is great for rehydrating and contains lots of good things for pregnant ladies; your partner may enjoy it with a splash of local rum!

WileyRoadRunner Fri 08-Mar-13 12:04:58

I refuse to offer any input to this thread envy

but you could try Boden, Next or ASOS

whiteandyellowiris Fri 08-Mar-13 23:42:48

check out the cliff restaurant its fab and the snorkling with turtles have a great time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now