Earrings causing irritation

(8 Posts)
ujjayi Wed 20-Feb-13 12:26:18

Every time I wear earrings my right ear becomes inflamed - not severely but enough to make it impossible to wear them on 2 consecutive days. Makes no difference whether expensive, cheap, gold, silver or "hypoallergenic". Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this happening.......aside from the obvious!

LeChatRouge Wed 20-Feb-13 12:45:31

Have you tried painting the earring with clear nail varnish to create a plastic seal?

valiumredhead Wed 20-Feb-13 16:17:35

Yes what lechat said!

ujjayi Wed 20-Feb-13 17:45:48

Ah, ok. Will give that a go. Thank you smile

DorisIsWaiting Wed 20-Feb-13 18:05:50

I can no longer wear any standard (gold/ nickel free) metal in one ear I now have to buy medical grade plastic ones (and I think I had a pair that were medical grade titanuium).

tbh I lose them and then go for ages without buying any it's a pain in the arse.

SilverMoo Wed 20-Feb-13 19:26:04

I'm allergic to nickel but ok with other metals although I find if I haven't worn earrings for a while and then wear a pair my ears go bright red & itchy... It usually stops after a day or so though

MaryDownton Fri 28-Jun-13 09:42:49

I used to have the same problem and so when my daughter wanted to have her ears pierced I started looking into it so she didn't suffer like I had. We now buy titanium, surgical stainless steel or medical plastic earrings. I can wear earrings again and she has never had a problem. Try Delicate Earrings online.

Tilpil Fri 28-Jun-13 11:57:19

make sure the hole is clean first a lot of people don't realise how much dirt actually gets caught in the piercing and never clean it. Then experiment with all different types of earrings to find one that suits titanium is usually the best

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now