Tell me about toning (the upper arm, not the skincare step!)

(16 Posts)
Beaverfeaver Sun 17-Feb-13 20:56:49

I've just started following my racquetball sessions with some matchine weights in the gym.

Amazing what a difference 5 mins can make,

I've only don't it a few times and only lifting light weights so far but can already see good definition

mac12 Sun 17-Feb-13 20:54:04

Definitely second the Tracey A arms workout. Hurts like hell the first few times but has really quick and visible effects. I haven't done her workout since the arrival of DS2, almost 18 months ago now blush, and am trying to motivate myself by lurking on mumsnet do the abs section, which is also really effective, and also hurts like hell.

Cheeks4970 Sun 17-Feb-13 20:33:39

I have been doing Tracy A for awhile now and can honestly say that her arm workouts are amazing. I have had so many people comment on my arms. I also like the fact that she doesn't want you to use heavy weights as it will make you bulk etc. you can see loads of her stuff on you tube too. Good luck!

coffeeinbed Sun 17-Feb-13 20:02:37

Was about the suggest Tracy A but see you've got it.
It's brilliant, really.

crazycrush Sun 17-Feb-13 17:24:25

Dowy size 10/12

crazycrush Sun 17-Feb-13 17:23:42

Yup! still have to lose maybe half a stone post baby but would say that I am quite slim. But need toning for sure.

Effects fast - excellent!!

BelindaCarlisle Sun 17-Feb-13 17:17:21

i htink 10 mins a day would have effects fast/

are you the right weight?

BelindaCarlisle Sun 17-Feb-13 17:16:44

oh my arms are WAY nicer.
I do body pump twice a week and can bench press and bicep curl really heavy weights now PLUS my shoulders are way nicer.

if that doesnt work buy some 4kg weights and try toing pep decks and stuff.

crazycrush Sun 17-Feb-13 17:12:31

Great! You are suggesting props that I already have -even the Tracy Anderson DVD. Time to bring it on. Starting tonight. Anyone else join me?

bloggingvirgin Sun 17-Feb-13 12:23:48

I've been doing 30 half press ups ( on knees) and 3 x 10 bicep curls using 1kg weights, every other day, for about 2 weeks and already the horrible spongy bit in my inner upper arm is firmer.

I have extremely weak upper arms so need to keep it up.

ujjayi Sun 17-Feb-13 11:52:41

Tracey Anderson's Mat Workout has THE best ever arm workout. After a week my arms were noticeably more toned. It is a bitch. It will take several attempts to be able to do it all the way thru but it is worth it.

Curtsey Sun 17-Feb-13 11:43:24

Can you borrow a colicky baby from someone if you don't have one already? wink best thing I ever did to tone my arms, though it wasn't fun at the time!

crazycrush Sun 17-Feb-13 10:30:07

LOL! Muscle over fat is a myth I think .. My friends used to be obsessed with that idea... They probably mean what you describe: "..if you have fat to lose it will hide your lovely newly toned muscles.." Will try the exercises and report back when I need more advanced ones

And thanks for encouraging me that it might show effects pretty quickly. I needed that :-)

What do you mean "building muscle over fat?confused

If you do three sets of the following every day you should see a big difference in your arms and core strength by summer

15 push ups (on knees if you can't manage full ones, build up to them)
15 tricep dips using an upright chair or bench
1 min plank (build up as long as you can if you can't manage 1 min)
45 secs side plank each side

All of the above can also be modified to make them harder, let me know if you want to know how!

Note that this will strengthen muscles but won't really burn fat, so if you have fat to lose it will hide your lovely newly toned muscles and will require other, cardio based exercise/diet to get rid of.

chutneypig Sat 16-Feb-13 18:49:00

I'd say 10 minutes a day should show effects pretty quickly. I've got an interval timing app which I use, I do 5 lots of arm exercises with weights which I alternate with lower body ones, but could just as easily go for core ones.

crazycrush Sat 16-Feb-13 18:35:34

So it is time to tone up. I really want to get my upper arms into shape it has been too long - what if I do 10 minutes of weights/muscle build a day?

And what about this "building muscle over fat" thing... ?

While I'm at it I could also do some core strengthening.

Has anyone managed to tone up arms in time for summer if you start now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now