Thank you to the S&B genius who recommended coconut oil as a make up remover - it's great

(21 Posts)
AmberLeaf Sat 23-Feb-13 22:41:23
ujjayi Sat 23-Feb-13 17:12:57

I have the Coconoil version that Stepaway linked to. It is fabulous stuff and not overpoweringly coconut-y smile

So far working a treat as make up remover, lipbalm, hand & nail treatment (apply liberally and don cotton gloves) and treating DS1's eczema around his eyes.

herbaceous Sat 23-Feb-13 17:01:34

AmberLeaf - it was a couple of quid. Maybe I should try again with a more expensive version. Or try the virgin olive oil in the kitchen.

The coconut oil is working a treat on DS's dry skin, however.

Blackden Sat 23-Feb-13 16:50:25

Herbaceous your skin may just not like the oil. I tried OCM about 4 years ago and whichever oil I used my skin became red and irritated. I tried extra virgin olive oil, sweet almond, grapeseed and jojoba. I tried the Shu Uemura oil cleanser, same thing. I can't even use the Emma Hardie cleanser that people love.
Having said all of that, I do have some virgin coconut oil in the pantry and am tempted to try it tonight, because I've not tried coconut. I shall report back in the morning if I do use it. grin

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 23-Feb-13 16:12:25

perplexed I am getting the same, there was a while when every post I made mentioned coconut oil whether it was relevant or not grin

perplexedpirate Sat 23-Feb-13 12:54:37

Coconut oil is amazing! I am evangelical about it both on here and in RL.
Everyone's sick of hearing about it.

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Sat 23-Feb-13 12:49:47

www.amazon.co.uk/Coconoil-Original-Virgin-Coconut-Oil/dp/B000RL80T0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361623705&sr=8-1
this is the one I use, big tub, smells lovely, can be eaten, used in cooking, I use it on face and hair, and a dollop in curries or rice.

AmberLeaf Fri 22-Feb-13 20:38:09

How much was it herbaceous?

Others will probably disagree, but I wouldn't use the cheaper ones on my face. Only the organic virgin pressed one for me. The cheaper ones have been heat extracted so not as much 'goodness' apparently. Ive used them in the past and they aren't as good IMO.

The way I do it is to rub in then tissue off for make up removal, then rub more in, hot flannel. Then I use it as moisturiser after.

NotMostPeople, no it shouldn't have bits of coconut in it.

herbaceous Fri 22-Feb-13 19:08:18

It's the 'pure' sort from 'world foods' bit of asda. Rub it in, then wash it off with hot flannel while in the shower.

NotMostPeople Fri 22-Feb-13 18:42:44

I bought a tub in the supermarket it has bits of coconut in it, is theis normal?

AmberLeaf Fri 22-Feb-13 18:24:11

No, which kind are you using?

What are you wiping it off with?

herbaceous Fri 22-Feb-13 16:43:16

Inspired by the MN coconut fan club, I've been using coconut oil for the past few days as a cleanser, but my skin has gone all red and tight, despite moisturising afterwards. Does anyone else get this?

StepAwayFromTheEcclesCakes Fri 22-Feb-13 16:35:17

the extra virgin tub I got from amazon smells scrummy, apparently its good for you in so many ways, you can even take a spoonful. I add a tsp to cooked rice and it melts in and makes it taste all coconutty mmmm

skandi1 Sat 16-Feb-13 13:23:30

I ocm too. I have tried lots of different oils.

Coconut oil is indeed lovely as is sweet almond.

My favourite for taking make up off with is rice bran oil. It's amazing. It seems to melt make up instantly. Before trying rice bran oil I had coconut as my no 1 but this is better.

You can buy online or health food shops. I get an organic one from Akamuti.

It leaves no smell on skin and has no real odour.

LeftyLucy Fri 15-Feb-13 16:18:41

Apparently you should only use extra virgin coconut oil on your face. Any lesser version, produced by using heat, can clog your pores.

Oil cleansing method totally transformed my face. I'm using sweet almond oil at the moment and it's lovely too.

GetOrf Fri 15-Feb-13 13:39:53

I just run the bottle under the hot tap for a minute, it melts enough to take a face of make up off.

No, it doesn't leave your skin oily at all - strangely enough.

The only disappointing thing is that it doesn't leave my skin smelling coconutty - the oil is odourless.

ggirl Fri 15-Feb-13 13:36:04

I use olive oil ,brilliant for removing gel eyeliner

is it very different to coconut?

dontwanttobefatandforty Fri 15-Feb-13 13:32:28

how do you use the oil to remove? Melt it first? Does it not leave the skin oily at all? (thinking of 15yr old DD who wears alot a make-up)

AmberLeaf Fri 15-Feb-13 13:30:26

Yeah its brill, Ive been using it for about a year now.

I use the organic one though.

I do the oil cleansing method thingy.

GetOrf Fri 15-Feb-13 13:29:08

Oh and btw it's solid in the bottle - you have to run it under the hot tap for a minute to melt it. So it's nice and warm as well.

GetOrf Fri 15-Feb-13 13:28:14

I have used Bifacils for years. £20 a go. But anything else I tried was not as good.

I read a few weeks ago that coconut oil as a make up remover was really good, so I tried some. It's great. Takes make up off with no dragging and leaves my skin really smooth but (bizarrely) with no oily residue at all.

And it's cheap. I bought a bottle of it for 80p from an asian grocer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now