Is it really worth buying expensive shampoo?

(67 Posts)

I look like a scarecrow and can't work out whether it's diet (I get my five a day), tiredness, lack of water, hard water in area I live, cheap shampoo or what! I had a haircut in December which wasn't a good one and looks even more atrocious now, but I need to grow it out a bit more I think before getting another cut.
In the meantime, is there something magical out there that will transform tresses so I don't have to hide under a beanie hat? I've been using Tresemme but wouldn't bother buying it again.

I haven't looked back since trying brilliant brunette by John frieda. Smells nice, feels nice, makes hair look even nicer.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 14-Feb-13 20:06:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Thanks, Schmaltzing, I'll try the heat protector. And I guess the mousse - not mouse- [big grin] takes care of flatness?

Sorry that big grin should've been grin. Details!

Bouncey Thu 14-Feb-13 20:44:08

I've found expensive shampoo (provided it's the right one) makes a big difference, but I have awful hair - very fine and limp. Aussie is great but makes my hair a bit limp. Philip Kingsley is very good, but I'm currently using nioxin for fine hair. I buy it by the litre on feelunique and it lasts about 6 months. A good conditioner, from mid to the ends of the hair is also essential.

ProphetOfDoom Thu 14-Feb-13 21:03:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I use Aussie shampoo/conditioners usually but have been using Organix which are good too. I do use Kerastase treatments though every week and they make a big difference.

maisiejoe123 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:37:35

I have very fine hair. Light conditioner on the ends only... And rinse quickly...I like John Frieda

TigerseyeMum Thu 14-Feb-13 22:11:57

THe Daniel Galvin organic range is very good, sells in waitrose and often on offer. Makes my frizzy hair glossy.

letsgetreadytoramble Thu 14-Feb-13 22:19:21

Brilliant brunette by John frieda here too, definitely makes a difference if you use it regularly.

BellaVita Thu 14-Feb-13 22:27:09

I like Wella Brilliance. I buy it at the hairdressers. About £10 each for shampoo and conditioner.

littledolly Thu 14-Feb-13 22:47:38

My hairdressers uses Wella SP, and I started using it recently. The difference it made to my hair was unbelievable! Lots of people commented on it, and I now rarely use conditioner as I don't need it. The salon charges around £14 for a 250ml bottle (I use the colour save one), but I got the big 1000ml on fabriah for £26! A huge plus with the more expensive brands is that you genuinely only need a tiny spot of the shampoo, so it lasts much longer.

TigerseyeMum Thu 14-Feb-13 22:51:05

I used to use Wella SP as well, forgot about that. Think it has SLS though sad

PetiteMum Thu 14-Feb-13 23:01:27

A teaspoon of honey every morning. Also multivits with omega... I find those really make my hair stronger and shinier. Shampoo wise, I'm liking dr organics coconut range at the mo...

perplexedpirate Thu 14-Feb-13 23:05:48

I know this gets bandied about a lot on S and B but I can't recommend coconut oil highly enough.
Slap it on at night (reserve pillowcase) wash out in the morning.
My hair feels lovely and is soft and manageable.
Plus it's about £2 on eBay for a huge jar.

Locketjuice Fri 15-Feb-13 07:52:21

Primrose 123 I will search it and find out, I'm sure it was something to do with Australian... Something?

DrHoraceWorblehat Fri 15-Feb-13 07:55:58

I use lush solid shampoo which costs a fiver. I've found a good conditioner is what makes the difference to my hair which is really think and looks a mess if not conditioned. I also use a bit of oil on the ends of my hair but if you've got fine hair you might not want to do that.

DrHoraceWorblehat Fri 15-Feb-13 07:59:57

Which coconut oil perplexed? Had a quick look and there's organic or refined, solid and not solid. Which one?

Chandon Fri 15-Feb-13 10:05:39

Tresseme is awful, imo.

I have long hair, in good condition, and I use the Aussie every day shampoo ( it gets hair clean, without loading it with silicone or crap, just clean), only wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week, do not use hot settings on hair dryer and straightner.

I think the next step then is conditioner. I fork out for a pricey one from REN, as it is silicone free and makes my hair soft and manageable without that "slick" silicone feeling. I find silicone makes your hair look nice for a day or so, but long term does absolutely nothing for your hair ( you just coat your hair in a thin film of silicone).

So I use this REN conditioner, not cheap but a little goes a long way, and helps keep your hair in fab condition, for the long term ( my hairdresser always asks what hair products I use, as hair seems healthy despite bieng so long). A cheap option would be to rub some almond or jojoba oil( holland and Barrets) into your hair ( not scalp, just ends) before you wash it.

Imo, most conditioners are rubbish, or worse than rubbish.

EllieorOllie Fri 15-Feb-13 10:41:37

Brilliant brunette by John Freida here too, with Moroccan Oil every day and Phillip Kingsley Elasticizer once a week. I only use a tiny bit of the expensive products at a time, whereas I wash and condition every day so go through too much to buy the expensive stuff.

HannahD78 Fri 15-Feb-13 11:50:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

EmpressMaud Fri 15-Feb-13 12:20:54

Yes, I think it does make a difference. I used Kerastase when my hair was in poor condition, and it really worked.
I also like Bumble and Bumble and the Phyto products from Space NK.

Magicmayhem Fri 15-Feb-13 13:53:21

I'm supprise that not many of you like tresemme... I use the deep cleansing one and it suits my hair... I hate pantene with a passion... makes my hair go really dull and frizzy...
As a treat I use John Frieda Brilliant Brunette, or charles worthingtons for an extra shine.

TurnipCake Fri 15-Feb-13 14:18:35

I had very dry hair from almost a decade of GHD use. My hairdresser asked me if I wanted my hair to grow beyond my shoulders and I said yes. She said it would not happen unless I stopped straightening it. I went back to blow-drying and I bought Kerastase for damaged hair online (they often do deals where you can buy a set for a reduced price, and places like HQ hair often do 20% off).

I cannot say enough how different my hair looks now. It's shiny, in a very good condition, stronger and has a nice 'bounce' to it (which is surprising for my fine hair). When I next saw my hairdresser, she said, "You've stopped straightening it. And you're using a new shampoo!" grin

They're expensive compared with what you can buy at Boots etc, but they're very concentrated. My hair is now 5 inches past my shoulders and I only use product the size of a 20p piece, in the past I would really have to use a lot more product to get the same effect.

A little bit of heat protector and Moroccan oil finishes the job smile

That sounds good, Turnip. It's the bounce I really miss and I do get it at the salon but only then! As soon as I wash it at home we're back to flat, limp shine-free. I think my hair might be too fine for oil. What do you think? Fine hair that's chin-length? It's not remotely dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now