What to wear to the Opera?

(17 Posts)

I'm off to La Boheme on Thurs locally and was wondering a) what the heck to wear b) why the heck my DH booked it when I've never been to the opera and c) what the heck it's all about......will google!!!!enjoy * perplexing*

tartiflette Tue 12-Feb-13 17:05:08

Good call on the pre-ordering of fizz polyhymnia!

I've seen people in everything, including a bloke in denim shorts and flip flops (and that was in the Circle!) Yes I did have to hoik up my judgey pants, which is a bit pathetic of me, but I couldn't help myself.

I agree that smart casual is the way to go.

babybarrister Tue 12-Feb-13 16:36:56

I agree - anything but not evening dress!

polyhymnia Tue 12-Feb-13 16:19:59

OP, btw, I've been on my own sometimes and much enjoyed it - including my interval champagne of course!

There's a really great cloakroom, and you can leave shopping etc too.
Wear whatever you like - layers are good, as it can get stuffy if the performance is long.

polyhymnia Tue 12-Feb-13 16:16:52

Yes, really very much up to you what you wear. Not many people dress up any more and I usually wear something smart casual or on lines of what tartiflette describes, or its summer equivalent.

But you could go in your best jeans and top if you wanted and noone would turn a hair.

Definitely advise taking the extra time to put coat in cloakroom as the seats are not so vast, despite their price, that having your winter coat perched on your knee is comfortable.

And, talking of pre-performance, don't forget to order the interval champagne too!

tartiflette Tue 12-Feb-13 14:42:11

Oh that's great, I did wonder about a cloakroom.

JumpHerWho Tue 12-Feb-13 08:30:43

They have a cloakroom so wear a cosy coat and a smart blazer underneath.

But if you don't fancy dressing up you really don't have to.

Perplexing Tue 12-Feb-13 07:48:21

Yes I am confused about coat situation as well tartiflette. Doesn't help that I will be walking around / shopping etc earlier in the afternoon so will be dressed for the elements.

tartiflette Tue 12-Feb-13 07:09:06

We are going next week so watching this with interest... I was planning on the sort of thing I would wear for dinner out (maybe blue and black leopard Whistles thick jersey dress with opaques and black ankle boots) - bit concerned about the coat situation though as it is effing freezing and the old Aigle Cuckmere is not exactly evening attire.... confused

bunnymother Mon 11-Feb-13 21:57:34

When we go, we do dress up. Not many others do, unfortunately, but its part of the experience for us.

mumblechum1 Mon 11-Feb-13 21:50:52

We usually go smart casual, as tend to go straight from work via a restaurant. I've never seen anyone dressed in a red ball gown a la Julia Roberts in that Pretty Woman opera scene.

Perplexing Mon 11-Feb-13 21:48:01

I'll be on my own (saddo emoticon) and eating first, but not at the Opera House.

JumpHerWho Mon 11-Feb-13 21:42:29

Absolutely anything goes. I'd take advantage and get properly dressed up though - dress, jacket and heels, nice jewellery and sniffy demeanour smile

Depends who you're going with too, and are you eating first/after?

Enjoy envy

noviceoftheday Mon 11-Feb-13 21:20:03

Anything does go! I have been in jeans, smart casual, and smart. Most people go for smart casual, so nice top and trousers or nice dress and jacket or cardigan ie nothing too formal. Have fun!

Perplexing Mon 11-Feb-13 21:15:31

I am going to the opera at Royal Opera House on Thursday. The website helpfully says there is no dress code - but I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb - what do people usually wear? Is it really 'anything goes'?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now