River Island- is there antthing suitable for a 40yo?

(17 Posts)
ShhHesAsleep Sun 10-Feb-13 14:17:05

Can anyone recommend anything? If you've had a good find please share it.

I have a £20 gift voucher. I've been in-store once and online but can't find anything anything that I like. It all looks like gear for slim 20-somethings.
I usually wear casual things. I like monsoon, fat face etc. I don't like extra-long tops (I'm too short), logos etc.

Help?

AnyFucker Sun 10-Feb-13 14:21:25

The casual t-shirts and vests are fine

Nice scarves and some of the shoes are ok (sandals for summer etc)

florencepink Sun 10-Feb-13 14:28:47

I love the bags in river island, though you would probably have to pay a bit more smile

HanneHolm Sun 10-Feb-13 14:29:46

no nothing wink

AnyFucker Sun 10-Feb-13 14:29:53

yep some nice leather bags for spring, but more like £45

ShhHesAsleep Sun 10-Feb-13 14:36:51

Thanks. I'll keep looking online for spring/summer gear.

Has anyone else noticed that they seem to use lots of synthetic fabric?

AnyFucker Sun 10-Feb-13 14:39:42

Yeah, especially for the "dressier" gear. It is horrid. I have some basic vests that wash well and last well though. They also do kids clothes...I have some stuff for ds that is actually really good. Do a swap for some kids gear if you don't find anything ?

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 10-Feb-13 14:50:25

The amelie jeans are brilliant and £30.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 10-Feb-13 14:51:42

Oh and everywhere uses masses of synthetic fabrics nowadays from whistles downwards.

Agree with anyfucker their basic vests was brilliantly and compare well to far more expensive brands.

There's also a very pretty cream lace victoriana style blouse in there at the moment for about £30 which is gorgeous if its your style.

Snowkey Sun 10-Feb-13 15:41:44

I like their jeans and I bought a tie dye body con dress for the summer.

AnyFucker Sun 10-Feb-13 16:01:46

I have a couple of pairs of RI jeans. One pair are my "go to" jeans for looking great, and comfortable.

threepiecesuite Sun 10-Feb-13 16:18:21

There's a grey top with scalloped and sequined edges in the window of my local store which I rather like and I'm 32
The pyjamas are always ok.

FuturePerfect Sun 10-Feb-13 17:13:56

Yup Amelie jeans - have them in khaki

frankietwospots Sun 10-Feb-13 21:23:07

The slouchy blazers are nice, like this stripey one: http://www.riverisland.com/women/coats--jackets/blazers/Black-and-white-striped-boyfriend-blazer-630569

I bought a leopard print one in the sale and am looking forward to wearing it in milder weather. Size down as they are a generous fit.

applecrumbleandcream Sun 10-Feb-13 21:44:15

I like RI for their knitwear usually and have a few jumpers and cardigans from there that always seem to wash well. I've also seen a cheeky black/white lips t-shirt in store for £15 which looked lovely and I might have to buy!!

this blouse is the one mrsCB described I think. I bought it and wore it today with boyfriend jeans and received loads of comments......and I'm passed 40.

ShhHesAsleep Sun 10-Feb-13 23:07:42

Thanks again for the ideas.

I think I was put off in-store as it seemed to be full of teenagers. Not quite as bad as going into Hollister but nearly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now