How to get gellac off at home??

(14 Posts)
hellohellohihi Sat 09-Feb-13 20:37:46

So I've had gellac on my toes for far too long now, to the point where I'm too embarrassed to get it taken off at a salon... I'm also short on time and want to get a pedicure next week and really want it gone before I go so they don't think I'm a complete minger....

Help! How do I get it off?!

is that a mix of gellish and shellac? Have you tried pure acetone?

hellohellohihi Sat 09-Feb-13 20:41:24

No idea... Just thought that was what it was called?!

Not tried anything yet - can I get acetone in boots/tesco?!

Nagoo Sat 09-Feb-13 20:43:00

pure acetone.

rip tin foil into little squares, about an inch and a half.

soak cotton pad, cut into quarters.

put tin foil in tin foil, position over nail, wrap nail.

leave at least 10 mins, scrape it off a bit with orange stick, if it won't come, soak it some more.

Nagoo Sat 09-Feb-13 20:43:58

Some of the gel polishes you'll need t rough up with a buffer before you soak it.

I googled and you do get gelac nails, just hadnt heard of them - sorry. I got acetone in Home Bargains but you should be able to get it in other places too.

hellohellohihi Sat 09-Feb-13 21:12:52

Ok thanks, will try it ASAP and report back!

monkeysmama Sat 09-Feb-13 22:51:02

You have to ask for it in the chemist.

carrie74 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:58:00

What they all said.

Also heat helps speed the process off, so maybe pop a hot water bottle or similar over your toes while they're soaking in the acetone.

jackstini Sun 10-Feb-13 19:50:00

Second the foils - or bowl of acetone with a couple of drops of oil in bowl of hot water.

Removal tool helps for speed too

knitknack Sun 10-Feb-13 20:21:16

I do my own gel nails and tbh I've found that any nail polish remover (as long as it isn't acetone free) will work. I cut a cotton wool pad into four quarters, soak each wee bit in remover and then wrap onto my nail with foil as the others have suggested. Works well!

jackstini Tue 12-Feb-13 20:36:02

And wrap your hand in a towel while the foils are on - even quicker!

valiumredhead Wed 13-Feb-13 09:45:48

Any varnish remover will do it ime - soak cotton wool in remover, put on nails and wrap with foil and leave for ten minutes. Even acetone free stuff removed mine ok.

NEVER soak your fingers in a bowl of acetone - too harsh apparently and you'll ruin your nails.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now