Contact lenses - does the novelty wear off?

(13 Posts)
EuroShagmore Sat 09-Feb-13 22:48:20

I never found them comfortable enough to wear all the time (indoors at least - my eyes dry out - I'm fine outside). I love having the option, but only wear them on weekends and holidays.

notjustamummythankyou Sat 09-Feb-13 22:40:08

wear not where.

dunce

notjustamummythankyou Sat 09-Feb-13 22:38:50

I wore soft lenses for nearly 15 years but developed a sensitivity to the cleaning solutions. Only wore glasses for a few years, and went on to a disposable lens scheme a couple of years ago. Still can't wear lenses for much more than 5 / 6 hours though.

I currently have a backlog of 120 unused pairs - and I don't even where them once a week! Good thing boots does 'payment holidays'.

So, yes, the novelty has long gone for me. smile

I started wearing them nearly 30 years ago and intend to wear them for the rest of my life. But I am blind as a bat and glasses are seriously thick, heavy and expensive for me, so that is a definite factor. I would be devastated if I had to stop wearing them, even if for some reason I wear glasses for a few days I am always very glad to get back to my contacts.

Why not go with 5 days for now, you can always up it to 7 but it might not be so easy to go back down from 7 to 5 days contract.

LifeofPo Sat 09-Feb-13 09:41:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

3monkeys3 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:26:22

Just looked at online place and my lenses are pretty much the same price as opticians on there. Maybe it depends on which brand you use?

3monkeys3 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:22:54

Just to add - I really want to support my local opticians - I have a bit of a local shopping policy going on! I know this will cost me more overall, but we have such a lovely little town with lots of little independent businesses and it would be such a shame to lose this.

lightrain Sat 09-Feb-13 08:21:03

I'm with specsavers, it's a good scheme and is a but more expensive than just buying online but they remind you when you need eye tests (free), do contact lens/ eye checks and you get a lot of discounts on glasses too. Lenses and solution delivered by post through the letterbox every 3 months.

I have had contacts since I was 18 and wear them almost every day. I love my contacts, honestly I think they made a huge difference to my quality of life (realise that sounds dramatic but its true). So I'd go for it, and would happily commit for a year. Specsavers only £13 a month.

MumOfTheMoos Sat 09-Feb-13 08:14:05

I've been wearing contact lenses since I was 16 - now 41!

I have had quite a pronounced astigmatism so at one point I had to wear hard lenses which I didn't find very comfortable so stopped wearing them unless I had too. But technology has caught up and I've now got soft disposables and I wear them everyday.

So no, the novelty hasn't worn off!

LifeofPo Sat 09-Feb-13 08:09:42

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 09-Feb-13 08:09:12

I wear my contacts every day - miles more comfortable than glasses

LifeofPo Sat 09-Feb-13 08:08:48

3monkeys3 Sat 09-Feb-13 07:58:13

Trying to decide whether to sign up to the scheme or not. Currently have 3 months worth and an wearing them everyday. I do like my glasses but treat them more as an accessory than something I actually require in order to see and wasn't always wearing them, even though I need to, hence the contacts. I am loving them at the moment, just wondering whether the novelty will wear off and I'll move back towards my glasses. Not sure whether to sign for for 5 days a week contacts and treat myself to some super trendy frames (I have geekish ones at the moment, but they are just a nod to it really, rather than full on wayfarers) or do 7 days contacts and just wear my current glasses in and out when I feel like it (they are very nice!). I have to commit for 12 months. Can pay as I go, but it works out quite expensive and there are good associated benefits with the scheme - free eye tests and money off glasses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now