School run chic

(57 Posts)
smithy100 Mon 04-Feb-13 22:08:48

What do you wear everyday? I need to know...need new ideas for day to day outfits. I'm stay at home mum with 3 small dc, 2 at primary school I don't get dressed up for work. Wear jeans everyday and it's boring! Help me mn style people x

I 'dress up' for the school run as that's the only time I am guaranteed to be going out- nights out just don't happen any more so I do try and look good, plus I feel better looking smartish

Sonotkylie Tue 05-Feb-13 14:28:31

Like wewereherefirst, I 'dress up' because I do have some moderately decent stuff in my wardrobe that otherwise I don't get to wear. And I like choosing my 'look' for that day ... I also enjoy choosing my own lunch ... Makes me feel I'm a real person.
Anyway, increasingly I'm wearing skirts and shirts plus cardigans because with tights and leggings under, its warmer than jeans, and I reluctantly have to acknowledge dresses look rubbish on me. Or its skinny jeans (plus thermals everywhere), boots, jumper and scarves, lots of scarves. Have discovered that scarves are as pretty as necklaces but keep you warmer. And they make you feel like you have made an effort and are cheap on eBay.
Are we helping at all OP?

smithy100 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:55:50

Yes loving all the comments, I'm about to go to school v cold here and I'm wearing for a change leggings and biker boots. Massive coat because it's snowing!

Eliza22 Tue 05-Feb-13 15:28:43

Wewereherefirst you make a good point there. There are times when the only people I see are the school gate folks and the staff at Sainsbury's grin so, I don't want to look like a drab at those times.

Today ... Leggings, boots, white shirt, cardi and scarf worn Hanne Holm- style ( well, I AM in my 50's) I have my "face on" too.

Turquoiseblue Tue 05-Feb-13 17:02:31

Great retort Amber,
wtf elsking - I feel sorry for you with your lack of insight. I wonder if your fashion sense matches it.

Back to the OP - I work PT (3 days), wear a uniform at work, but I dress for myself be it at the school gates or the entrance to work. I like to look my look, which varies depending on mood and season a bit I suppose.
I do find jeans skinny/ straight/ flared or shock horror bootcut - all a reliable fall back though - huigh waisted with a silk shirt,
personally i m not too keen on slouchy jumpers or knits but love a nice top - not necessarily expensive. A scarf or snood (hear me eh! ) great too. Nice coat and hat/ gloves too.
Style blogs are good for inspiration or pinterest too, also if you have a bit of spare time just have a look in your wardrobe - Today I m wearing a black tank top under a cream cut out t black straight leg jeans with black cardi - doesnt sound very original i know but but I hadn't thought of putting those two tops together before - so layering etc is a great way to bring your summer tops into winter and I ve just tld myself I m using a monochrome there that s going to be all the rage lol! ... have a play with your wardrobe and try putting stuff together you havent paired before.
have fun !

I try and dress nice everyday for no other reason than feeling good!!

ThisLittleP Wed 06-Feb-13 21:20:33

OP - there are loads of harem trousers out & about again, which make a nice (and comfortable) change to jeans. When I say 'harem', we aren't necessarily talking MC Hammer here!

There are also lots of jersey dresses that I've been eyeing up, long sleeve, and knee length, that would look great with tights & biker boots (or ballet flats when the weather cheers up), and then maybe denim jacket or biker jacket, and scarf or snood when on school run to keep the chill out. This sort of thing?

For me, jersey dress feels as comfortable as a nightie, but of course isn't, and same with harem trousers (feel as comfortable as PJs, but isn't!). Both are inexpensive wardrobe updates, and both are practical for a household with 3 littlies too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now