Clinique gentle light powder replacement.

(13 Posts)
whatyoulookinat Mon 04-Feb-13 10:07:08

I used to use Clinique gentle light powder which is now discontinued.

Anyone found a good replacement? I am looking for something translucent that makes the skin glow & doesn't have a heavy or matt finish. The clinique one has a very subtle glimmer to it if that makes sense?

Tried A Chanel powder which was supposed to be similar but was nothing like it.
Budget upto £30-£40.

Any ideas please ?

Havingkittens Mon 04-Feb-13 10:15:33

I've not tried any of these yet but they are on my list of powders to try -

Armani Loose Powder - very finely milled with a glowy finish (have just ordered it to try)

Nars have just brought out a light diffusing loose powder (or are just about to), so panning to go and have a look at that once I've tried the Armani one.

M.A.C have one called Magically Cool Liquid Powder, which is the same as the liquid powder that Prescriptives used to sell. I've not tried the MAC one but the Prescriptive one was really nice once you got used to the strange sensation of it feeling wet when you put it on. I suspect it's the exact same product as it was one of Prescriptives' "champion" products and now that they've gone under Estee Lauder (who owned both companies) probably carried it over to one of their artist brands.

whatyoulookinat Mon 04-Feb-13 10:41:00

Thanks kittens. Just looked at the Armani one online. Looks like it could be very similar but no stockists around here. When you say you have ordered to try do you mean you get a sample online or do you just buy the actual product. Just worried about ordering online & it not being what I expected.

Havingkittens Mon 04-Feb-13 11:29:47

Oh, sorry to be misleading. I'm a Make up artist, and am requesting it from their PR office to try in my kit.

whatyoulookinat Mon 04-Feb-13 11:39:05

Ah I see. What a great job!

notjustamummythankyou Mon 04-Feb-13 13:03:35

I used to use the Gentle Light foundation. Loved it, and sooo annoyed when they discontinued it. I've found a goodish replacement by Bobbi Brown, but it's not quite the same. Grr.

Aquelven Mon 04-Feb-13 15:29:18

I hate Clinique for that, they are always discontinuing the good things!
Estée Lauder the same but they are the same company. So annoying.

Havingkittens Mon 04-Feb-13 15:41:53

No point just hating Clinique and EL for that! Every brand discontinues products, constantly. They have to make way for new advances in formulations as well as constantly changing trends. If they didn't discontinue stuff and just kept adding to the range they wouldn't be able to move on counter for products!

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though. I've lost count of the amount of times I've recommended a colour or product from my kit to a client only for them to call me up and tell me they can't get it anymore and ask what to get instead.

Have you asked the Clinique consultants what they recommend you replace it with?

MooMinCow Mon 04-Feb-13 15:59:24

Sali Hughes wrote about this subject in her blog here. I tried the No7 one when I had a £5 voucher and its not bad. Sleek Makeup (from Superdrug) do a Luminous
pressed powder which is lovely too

whatyoulookinat Mon 04-Feb-13 16:33:04

Thanks Moo I will look at the superdrug one. I'm definitely more open to trying some of the less expensive brands since reading about Mau on here & trying their products.

sauvignon Clinique staff didn't offer an alternative on their counter but recomended the Chanel one but it made me look really matt.

I'm sure their are plenty of similar products its just having the time to look & try. Alot of the sugested brands ate not available where live & while they may look good online its not really something i would order without trying.

Havingkittens Tue 05-Feb-13 18:36:15

Just been out doing a product recce, so reporting back that the Nars one is nothing like the Clinique Gentle Light powder. The MAC ones vary, one of them was super shiny on my hand, the Cajun one I think. There's one called Truth & Light which is quite comparable to it, although I think there is a slight pink sheen running through it - not necessarily a bad thing unless you are very olive skinned.

whatyoulookinat Sat 16-Feb-13 12:20:55

So I finally made it into house if Fraser & have bought the Aveda inner light powder. Its not quite the same clininque gentle light but a good
replacement at £20.
The no7 mentioned in the saki Hughes blog was very matt & chalky so nothing like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now