Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

sherazade Thu 07-Feb-13 20:23:12

I live in
New Look boyfriend cardis in neutral or bright colours
chunky nude glitter speckled f&f cardi
Topshop/dp tunics
topshop skinnies
topshop ballet flats
river island chelsea boots

MimikosPanda Thu 07-Feb-13 22:56:39
Ilovemyteddy Fri 08-Feb-13 09:05:22

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and am loving the links! I've lost a lot of weight in the last year and have been replacing my clothes with charity shop bargains and 'cheaper' clothes whilst I get down to my target weight. I'm now 5lbs off target, and have been buying far too many clothes in the sales. But I still love a bargain and picked up a gorgeous long black coat with velvet collar and cuffs (Twiggy at M&S) in the local Cancer Research Shop for £12.95 yesterday ( RRP £125!)

As I am off work today (and not in 'uniform') I am wearing
Primark slouchy cream jumper
New Look leggings
George at Asda vest
F&F boy shorts
Rigby and Peller bra which cost three times the price of everything else that I am wearing but hoicks my norks up to where they are supposed to be grin

MERLYPUSS Fri 08-Feb-13 09:58:52

This sounds like me.
I am, lets say, over 40 but feel more like 30. I have 5yo twins.
My normal attire is leggins and a knitted dress with biker boots at the mo, Jeggins (i have a strange shape arse and can't find skinny jeans that are deep enough to hide my cat belly) with tops and long cardi layered and flowery DMs or wide jeans and some type of top. I have a parker for the school run as I am constantly cold hence the knitted dresses. My older sister says I dress like a lesbian as she never sees me in a skirt. I think she has a bloody cheek. I dont wear make up as have dreadful excema around my eyes causing my lashes to be very sparse.
Please tell me I am not going down the mutton route. People are always shocked in a good way when they know my true age.

Roopoo Fri 08-Feb-13 10:20:41

Shittttt I never realised Peacocks was back on line...... It shut down in our town and thought website had gone as well!!!
Told DH and he looked afraid.... Im away to browse (and buy) on Peacocks!!!

MimikosPanda Fri 08-Feb-13 11:18:53

Roopoo No, I didn't realise Peacocks was back online, I saw a link to something on there the other day and though I'd go and have a good look at what they have. I knew the shop was open again but haven't really had the chance to go in because it is a little out of my way. Think I'll have to make the effort now!

Merly Age is but a number....

Teddy Congrats on only having another 5lbs to go. Once I had finally lost all the baby weight that is when I started buying new clothes again. I'm still only buying relatively cheap clothes because when you need to buy a complete new wardrobe (from underwear right through to coats) it is too pricey to bulk buy the better brands. I wish my local charity shops were a bit better, I hardly ever find anything, where I was a student the charity shops were a goldmine, I really miss that.

MimikosPanda Fri 08-Feb-13 11:28:39

Forgot what I'm wearing:

Burgandy skinnies - New Look
Thermal vest - Primark
Navy/white striped vest top - H&M Logo
Navy button down, crew neck cardi - Matalan
Navy/burgandy/purple scarf - 30p in a secondhand sale
Sheepskin boots - Bearpaw @ TK Maxx (you see, I really do wear these too often!)

The Matalan cardi is like this one here but in navy (autumn sale), I sized down to make it a tighter fit. Its viscose and nylon though, so I don't like it as much as the 100% cotton ones I have from Primark, but the advantage is that it has a bit of stretch in it so its really comfy.

Doshusallie Fri 08-Feb-13 11:59:56

New look blue low rise skinnies
Long grey vest from Sainbso
Grey long sleeved t-shirt from Primark
grey sparkly top with a black skull on the front from Primark
brown short Uggs

applecrumbleandcream Fri 08-Feb-13 12:00:20

I need a bit of help.. I've got a couple of parties coming up soon and need a new dress. Would prefer something that I could also wear for work afterwards. I've seen quite a few in DP's who have some lovely dresses in at the moment all at really reasonable prices. Opinions welcome on any of these before I get out my debit card or has anybody tried any of these on in store and they've not been as nice in RL.

this looks really slimming so could be good

like this

this black lacy dress classic

love this

another classic lace dress

gorgeous dress

I'm size 14 and 5' 6" 36D boobage. Thanks

applecrumbleandcream Fri 08-Feb-13 12:04:26

Sorry 5th dress down should've been this

lacy purple number

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 12:05:59

I really like that purple dress, but I don't do pencil skirts.

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 12:06:12

It would look lovely on someone who did wear pencil skirts though!

Trills Fri 08-Feb-13 12:07:13

Currently wearing blue/white/gry/black patterned dress from New Look (jersey knee length dress)
Blue New Look vest underneath (because the front is a bit low)
Blue cardigan from Primark
Black tights from Primark.

Matching blue nail varnish from Rimmel.

havingastress Fri 08-Feb-13 12:09:38

My 14 week old DD is better dressed than me..

I need help! And inspiration!

Thank you posters, got some good ideas off you all grin

realising I live in 2 pairs of jeans, 2 vests and 2 jumpers, not stylish at all

MimikosPanda Fri 08-Feb-13 12:19:55

I like the purple lace one best, I think it would be easy to glam up for also fine with work just with simple shoes. Love the pebble tea dress too, again because I think it would be versatile with accessories

Ilovemyteddy Fri 08-Feb-13 12:36:35

I like the two blue ones, but they are all lovely. Sorry I'm not much help grin

Ilovemyteddy Fri 08-Feb-13 12:40:30

Actually I have a question too. I'm going for a city break in a month's time and need some dressy evening trousers. I have loads of pretty tops and a lovely magenta Oasis jacket that was dirt cheap in a sale, but my two pairs of black trousers are now too big. Anyone seen anything around in a 12/14 that's not too expensive as I have spent a fortune on clothes recently. Not sure if I'm looking for straight legged or something more floaty or linen. It should be warm where we are going so they need to be cool fabric.

TIA

spottymoo Fri 08-Feb-13 13:08:51

I got some great black trousers from primark in the office type clothes section £5 I have the straight leg and some that are slightly flared both fit really well grin

Ilovemyteddy Fri 08-Feb-13 13:24:40

thanks Spottymoo. I'll have a look in Primark tomorrow.

freddiefrog Fri 08-Feb-13 15:34:53

Today's outfit is

Blue skinnies - H&M
Cream t-shirt with the 'soft kitty, etc' from Big bang Theory poem - EBay
Cream and black striped blazer - Matalan
Ash Thelma

I'm going out-out tonight and wearing
Black coated skinnies - H&M
Black ribby top - EBay
Black blazer - H&M
Leopard print heels - Sainsbury's

ninjahamster Fri 08-Feb-13 15:45:11

I go on a fab website where you can share your look and ask for advice etc but not sure if I am allowed to post the link on here?

MimikosPanda Fri 08-Feb-13 15:47:12

Cream t-shirt with the 'soft
kitty, etc' from Big bang Theory
poem - EBay

I WANT one!!!

CointreauVersial Fri 08-Feb-13 15:53:31

Not at work today (hoorah!), so I'm wearing:

White HeatTech top (Uniqlo)
Cream cable oversized jumper (Mango sale)
Furry gilet (Mango sale)
Skinny jeans (Zara sale)
Cream/blue/pink scarf (Primark)
Black Ugg-alikes (Clarks, so have a proper sole and won't collapse in the rain!)

Can I just say a big thank you to whoever recommended the H&M tube skirts? £3.99 and marvellous! I bought black and white stripy. I can see it working well with a jumper, tights and boots, but will also be perfect for summer with a loose teeshirt. Result.

Rosevase Fri 08-Feb-13 15:53:34

I have just joined Avenue 57 www.avenue57.com and I have high hopes it will get me out of my rut of school run clothing, same old things all the time, no real inspiration and yet a whole wardrobe of clothes!! I know that as I have just moved house and half my wardrobe is still on the bedroom floor... I have no big budget - and I simply don't get why I can happily spend hours on carefully choosing my children's outfits and am happy to spend money and effort of them, but I have been reluctant to do it on my self.

So my over one month late new year's resolution is to start trying to have fun with clothes again!

lurkingaround Fri 08-Feb-13 15:59:47

Ilove there was a thread here recently on H&M trousers, I only skimmed it but I think they might work for you, not skinny trousers, a bit floaty. Can't rem the title of the thread, gosh that's not a whole lot of help to you, but someone else might know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now