Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

fridgepants Tue 05-Feb-13 16:33:21

For nail varnish, I can't recommend Barry M enough for budget, and Superdrug often have a 3 for 2. I also buy things like Essie and OPI on ASOS during the sales (they have a few on there now) as I'm not good enough at fingers to justify more than £8. Mavala in Boots are cheap as well (but small bottles). Boots 17 chips in minutes.

It#s spendy, but buy a bottle of Seche Vite top coat and your polishes should last longer and dry quicker. I've heard good things about Orly Bonder for chippy polishes but I can't be faffed to spend £8 on it.

MinesaBottle Tue 05-Feb-13 16:38:19

I am wearing a black shift dress I got in the sale at M&S couple of years ago. The sale price tag said £25 but when I went to pay for it, it came up as £5!!! Was so surprised I challenged it but the sales lady said nope, it's definitely a fivergrin One of my best bargains ever, am wearing it with tights, kimono jacket thing and black ballet pumps from Topshop and long sleeved black top which I think was from H&M.

Now I think of it I should have got 3 so I could save a couple for when this one wears out!

Doshusallie Tue 05-Feb-13 22:03:13

Grey primark pyjama set from primark, ribbed beige cardi from tescos, sainsburys black slippers. grin

MimikosPanda Tue 05-Feb-13 22:32:03

Primark do great pyjamas, don't they? I'm in mink fleecy Primark pyjamas, they were only £8 for the set and are so warm and toasty but DH thinks they are awful. But I can't waft around in flirty little nighties in February can I? grin

Roopoo Wed 06-Feb-13 08:57:17

Im wearing
Black Tights - Home Bargains
Dress - new look in sale for a £5
Black ribbed cardi - primark

I have ordered to hareem pants from Next! Ordered a 16 as hoping WW will have me at a 16 shortly.........

MimikosPanda Wed 06-Feb-13 09:03:29

I'm in

Burgandy skinnies - New Look
Vests- Primark
Dusky pink sweat top - NewLook
Scarf pink/brown/grey animal print - Primark
Bearpaw sheepskin boots - TK Maxx

Heavywheezing Wed 06-Feb-13 09:25:16

Sorry, a bit late to the party here.
I usually by high street, and that's often sales only and I 'm afraid boden.

I have on primark mum boots,
Whistles skinnies , that were £25 in John Lewis sale
Owl jumper from m&s
Stripy top from gap, that I bought in gap outlet at Swindon.

Anyone do outlet shopping?

Mockingcurl Wed 06-Feb-13 09:26:26

Mimikos, Sainsburys bras are fantastic aren't they. They fit like a dream, wash well and are only £6. Out if guilt, I have bought more expensive bras, but I always go back to Sainsburys.
Great thread idea btw.

CointreauVersial Wed 06-Feb-13 13:12:05

Another day at work today, rocking head-to-toe charity shop chic:

Black and white striped V-necked knit - Kaliko (via Cancer Research)
Grey bootcut trousers - New Look (via BHF)

I have had the trousers for about five years and probably wear them once a week.....not bad for £3.50. I love them so much I sewed darts into the waistband when I lost weight.

My Next order arrived - see Ginger's harem trouser thread for my verdict!

nipersvest Wed 06-Feb-13 13:21:55

great thread! i feel a bit lost in the s&b section sometimes with the 'i've got £500 to spend on a bag, what should i buy' type threads.

freddiefrog Wed 06-Feb-13 14:16:08

Today is

Cream skinnies - H&M
Black vest top - Matalan
Oversized slouchy rusty/reddish jumper Peacocks
Ash Thelma wedges
Cream scarf as I'm bloody freezing - no idea where from, it's older than my kids

I think I might have to invest in the black Next harems, what to wear on feet though?

Roopoo Wed 06-Feb-13 15:24:24

Where is best place for cheap (and I mean proper cheap as i'm on mat leave) ribbed cardi'ssmile

landofsoapandglory Wed 06-Feb-13 15:59:09

Can I join please? I always feel so out of place on the other threads!

Can I sing the praises of Primark's tights, especially the fleece lined ones, they are brilliant. I am going back next week to buy loads in case they stop doing them, M&S sell them for £10 a pair, Primark sell them for £3.50! You can't go wrong.

Doshusallie Wed 06-Feb-13 16:07:46

At work so:

grey suit trousers, with matching grey fitted waistcoat - Primark. They do great suits, I have bought this one, the grey matching dress, the black one also. The dresses rock, get loads of comments when I wear them.

Purple, pink and grey striped ruffle front low cut work shirt - Next

Chunky celtic style silver necklace

Grey Mary Jane seude/patent heels, Monsoon.

Get loads of compliments when i wear this outfit. grin

cocolepew Wed 06-Feb-13 17:19:21

Asda do a lot of cardis as does Matalan.

I'm wearing exactly the same as yesterday except my top is red and navy striped today smile.

MimikosPanda Wed 06-Feb-13 17:57:25

Landofsoap If you are small then you can buy the girls age 11-13 fleece lined Primark tights and they are only £2.50. I'm an 8 and 5ft 4 and the girls ones fit me better than they adult size S/M and save me £1.

I walked past Primark again today so I popped in to see the pumps I forgot to look at the other day. They were £5, navy blue and fit well but the bow on the front was bigger than I liked so sadly the hunt continues. Thanks so much for the tip off though. I'm hoping Matalan will bring out the identical pair again this year, I'll just keep looking.
But whilst I was in there I looked at the coats because I am fed up of being cold all the time and I came away with a purple/aubergine down coat for £16. Its waist length and much more flattering on than I thought it would be though as usual in Primark I had to go up to a size 10. I wore it this afternoon and I was so warm it was fantastic.

After my bras the other day though I am nearly through the little bit of money I had set aside for spending after Christmas so I will have to go back to just window shopping now I think. Though I still need some Selma jeans of course

landofsoapandglory Wed 06-Feb-13 18:52:35

Thanks Mimikos, I'm an 8-10 and 5ft4 so I'll give the children's ones a try.

Roopoo Wed 06-Feb-13 19:40:54

Never thought of Asda will have a look for cardi's there.

freddiefrog Wed 06-Feb-13 19:57:06

I saw some in Peacocks the other day in their sale, about a fiver I think

Ooh love this !! Wheezing I do outlet shopping and GAP has brilliant bargains kicking myself for not getting a nice denim jacket last year for £18 also have a Next outlet, Fatface, White Stuff and FCUK love looking for a bargain.

My latest bargainous purchase Tan slouch ankle boots 20quid they are very comfy the heel is a bit rubbery - I can run in them!!

I am also wearing today a Tunic style top from M and Co which looks like it could be fat face or white stuff (Burgundy white tiny stars) £7 in sale) Next high waist straight leg jeans (£10 sale) a Chunky Cream Cardi (New look £8 sale) and scarf to tie it all in .

Just looking at the Hareerm pants online !

kissyfur Wed 06-Feb-13 21:32:19

Today's outfit was black skinny jeggings from oasis and a leopard print tunic style jumper from warehouse which I discovered today has a hole in the front! sad sad cos it's one of my faves!
Wore that with knee high flat leather boots (eBay) black leather Guess jeans bomber jacket (birthday present from my dad) and a big zebra print scarf from Primarni

Speaking of which I got a camouflage jacket from there today, only 18 pounds, just got to work out how to style it now smile

CointreauVersial Wed 06-Feb-13 22:01:54

I forgot to say, thanks Doshusallie and Issimma for recommending the Next denim shirt - it's perfect! Decent weight fabric, just tight enough over the chest, the right length. Well chuffed.

Trills Wed 06-Feb-13 22:10:36
spottymoo Wed 06-Feb-13 22:25:08

Pretty boring here today

Black leggings next
Black long sleeves top matalan
Brown speckled cardigan matalan

Brown knee highs Jonathan n James
Owl long necklace eBay

I do alot of outlet shopping as we live 10 mind away from a bug outlet that had m&s next gap Barbour Calvin Klein and various sports shops

Did have a quick noisy is asda today saw some great ballet pumps that are on my list to get grin

I'm on look out for a nice navy blazer/jacket for spring to wear with jeans and flats as usual champagne taste but more lemonade budget (love that saying)

spottymoo Wed 06-Feb-13 22:25:46

Excuse typos iphone correction shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now