Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

nipersvest Thu 28-Feb-13 18:22:29

i like khaki with white.

landofsoapandglory Thu 28-Feb-13 20:00:51

I've been to Primark again today and bought a really nice white top for £4 that will go nicely with the khaki jeans, Mimikos. It is quite loose fitting and has roll up sleeves, it will need a vest underneath too because it is see through.

I bought some stretchy vests, a navy and white stripe pencil skirt for £7, and some pretty things to put in my hair!

I am now searching sites for some nice bikinis because we booked our holiday this morning!

Went to Primark today and got a black woven belt, a burgandy skater dress and a gold effect necklace with swallows on it. Especially happy with the necklace as I love swallows on anything.

Trills Fri 01-Mar-13 17:24:28

I wore the Mango stripey dress yesterday and got a few compliments on it

Today wearing a crinkly sheer-ish pussybow sleeveless green shirt from Primark - bought it to take to a conference at work because it weighs basically nothing and could be stuck crumpled up in a bag for when I was going straight to an evening thing after a day of wearing company-branded clothing.

<waves if my colleagues recognise this>

MimikosPanda Fri 01-Mar-13 19:16:53

Been into Primark and H&M today. In Primark I bought a few khaki vests so they match when I wear my new khaki jeans (I like to match blush ). I wanted another of their £6 button down cardigans because I wear them so much but they had every size but mine in the colour I wanted so it wasn't to be. I'll have a look in a different branch sometime and I might be lucky.

In H&M I bought a new belt, it was £7 and is genuine leather. I hate polyurethane belts, they just break. I think they are fine if you are just wearing them as an accessory but my belts are worn to actually hold up my pants so they need to be decent. I'd been looking around for real leather belts and they were pretty pricey so happy with my H&M find.

I went into Peacocks today too, after loving lots last time I went and online I was a bit underwhelmed today. There was a lovely grey, elephant print scarf for £7 that I had to tear myself away from, I just can't justify another scarf.

Anyway, today I wore:

Brown cable knit tights - Matalan
Denim, not-too-mini, mini skirt - Next via ebay
brown/beige long sleeve pocket top - Primark
vests a plenty
blush pink/brown animal print scarf - Primark
Bearpaw sheepskin boots - TK Maxx

landofsoapandglory Fri 01-Mar-13 19:35:54

I bought the Mango stripey dress Trills. I had a 25% off code sent to me because it was my Birthday, so treated myself!

I bought this dress today because Tethers gave me a 20%off code and I had had my eye on it!

MimikosPanda Fri 01-Mar-13 19:39:22

I love that dress, Land, is it going to be like the next sell-out-in-every-branch dress like that owl print one they did? On the whole I am bored by M&S but in amongst the drab they do some lovely things.

landofsoapandglory Fri 01-Mar-13 20:12:18

I'm not sure Mimko's. They have a flamingo print one, which is sold out in a few sizes, that I like too, but as it was less available I thought maybe everyone has it already.

They, also, have a pug print one but I am not keen on dogs!

stefb Fri 01-Mar-13 21:01:17

I went shopping yesterday and managed to buy quite a lot for myself for a change! From primark a blue short sleeved jumper didn't look much on the hanger but as it's a loose knit I put a blue vest top under and it looks nice. A black blazer wih 3/4 sleeves, a black waterfall cardigan, a blue sheer blouse. From zara a cream dress which was £7!! I am looking at these trousers in zara but I'm not sure www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/uk/en/zara-neu-S2013/358005/1202373

CointreauVersial Fri 01-Mar-13 23:03:06

I had a bit of a splurge today! From TK Maxx I bought a navy sheer longline shirt, and also a grey smock-style top (with money off because one of the seams had split, which took me about 2 minutes with a needle and thread to fix).

I also popped into my fave charity shop, and found two bargains; a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans for £4.50, which will be perfect for the "boyfriend jean" treatment, and a Per Una cardi, £6.00. The cardi will be customised by removing the comedy buttons and sewing back the button plackets so it ends up like a collarless jacket. I already have a grey/black one that I have similarly customised, and it looks great (if I say so myselfwink ).

For my shopping trip, I wore:

Skinny jeans, Zara
White vest top, Primark
White high necked lacy blouse, Zara
White/turquoise bird print scarf, Warehouse
Turquoise jacket, Wallis

I like that telephone dress, but I bought the owl one last year which is fairly similar. I also have a 20% off M&S voucher, so I'm off for a little browse of the website......

stefb Fri 01-Mar-13 23:21:20

Thanks for reminding me Cointreau, I bought some pjs from m&s with the 20% off voucher and am planning on buying on line this weekend. I did buy DD some m&s school dresses for the summer. Also high top wedges from dp reduced to £20 in the dale. They did have some lovely things in. I always think about charity shops but never quite get there, my sister in law bought an amazing leather jacket last week at a local charity shop. For my trip I wore black leggings h&m , black and white striped wool dress next, black long boots new look trouble was I was boiling trying on clothes.

MimikosPanda Sat 02-Mar-13 08:11:49

Stef Sounds like you had a very successful shopping trip. I like the trousers but I wouldn't know what to wear them with because I'm no good at anything other than casual.

I tried on some £20 hi top wedges in DP too, were they are tan/mocha colour? I thought they were really comfortable but somehow made my legs look a bit funny. I was disappointed because I wanted a pair and £20 seemed very reasonable.

Cointreau I'm envy of your charity shop haul and your TKMaxx finds!

stefb Sat 02-Mar-13 20:03:42

Yes mimikos they are tan colour they look good with jeans and are really comfy. I have back problems so struggle with heels or flats. They did have black ones but I always buy black. The trousers in Zara I agree not quite sure what I would wear with them given I don't go out partying that much!

MimikosPanda Sun 03-Mar-13 16:58:06

Well, having considered my finances I am now on a clothes shopping ban until the end of March sad

We are saving up for something so need to cut back a few quid here and there. <weeps>

freddiefrog Sun 03-Mar-13 19:04:19

I'm on a spending ban too sad. Will see how long it lasts

I've got my eye on a few spring/summer things, but it's so bloody cold I can't even bring myself to think about buying them yet

fairylightsinthesnow Sun 03-Mar-13 20:17:44

Can I join? Are khaki jeans the thing for this season? Have very little ££ but am desperate to buy half a dozen things to update my wardrobe for spring - work stuff is fine but want a few new tops for the days off and occasional night out. Any suggestions? I love that telephone dress but always worry that things with a neck that high don't suit me as I have large chest (12-14ish size wise). Any suggestions appreciated smile

MimikosPanda Mon 04-Mar-13 12:55:33

Hi Fairy, I'm not sure if khaki jeans are 'in' or not, in fact I assumed that as usual I am a bit late to the party on the khaki front grin

Since I bought them I must be more aware of Khaki coloured things because I am now seeing khaki everywhere. I got mine because they were reduced in New Look in the same style as my burgundy ones that I wear all the time. I thought that the khaki would go with the colours that I mostly already have so would slot into my wardrobe pretty well.

Last summer I wanted to buy some coloured jeans but in the summer the shops only seemed to have very light, pastel colours which I look pale and ill in. So I wanted to get some whilst dark colours were still easy to find before everything becomes 'summer'.

Today I am wearing my £9 Primark skinny jeans for the first time, I bought them a little while ago but haven't worn them until now. I have to say that for a very modest £9 they are fantastic. They seem to fit my shape perfectly, most jeans are too big on my waist and gape at the back. I hardly ever find a pair that are big enough for my calves, thighs and hips and then are small enough on my waist. I'll defer my ultimate judgement on them until after I have washed them and worn them again but I have to say that I'm tempted to go back for another pair, but I'm on a spending ban...... sad

Today:

Dark wash skinny jeans - Primark
Vests, layered sand and light khaki - Primark
Khaki button down cardi - Primark
Cream, peach, khaki scarf - Primark
Converse navy All Stars - Office

If it wasn't for the Converse I'd have a 100% Primark day!

stefb Mon 04-Mar-13 22:43:39

Mimikos the khaki jeans sound lovely. I was thinking of coloured jeans and tried bright blue ones but I wasn't courageous enough to wear them &#128516;The ones in the summer are all really pale and with a very messy 5 year old I thought they would always be in the wash. My primark skinny indigo jeans are never off I wear them and my black ones with everything. I have a pair of converse but haven't worn them yet am I too old? I am 40 + a few!!

stefb Mon 04-Mar-13 22:45:54

Not sure what those random numbers are that appeared that's what you get for not reading what you type! And trying to do packed lunches at the same time!

MimikosPanda Tue 05-Mar-13 08:10:44

You're not too old, you can still wear your Converse!

ComeAlongPond Tue 05-Mar-13 16:24:50

What a primark jeans like? Decent enough? And do they have any in mint green atm? I'm trying to find some cheapy ones for a holiday and don't want to spend a lot but not having much luck so far.

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Mar-13 18:44:54

Primark jeans are great, although the sizing can be a bit random (even pairs in the same colour can come up different). You can't argue with the price.

landofsoapandglory Tue 05-Mar-13 19:48:39

I've been told to wear 'age appropriate clothing' tomorrow, because I am going to an open day at Nottingham Uni with DS1! I don't have a clue what that means, but under no circumstances am I to wear coloured skinny jeans and Converse!hmm.

I think I might wear that Mango knitted, stripey dress that Trills linked to.

ComeAlongPond Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:25

Ah Primark. Land of inconsistent sizing. I have a pair of sandals from there. One's in a size 3 and one's in a size 7 and they both fit, my normal size is 5... I shall head down there and take every pair into the changing room. Thank you!

Went shopping today and bought :

Black Sabbath T-shirt - primark
Grey and Black sleeveless skater dress -new look
Black cap sleeve skater dress - new look
Dark blue T-shirt with black rose print - new look
Grey and black stripe t-shirt - new look
Teal satin and taupe lace bra and pants - primark
Rose and black satin bra and pants - primark
Purple skull and feather earrings - new look
Black skinny waist belt with studded bow - new look
Braided silver chain magnetic bracelet (not for me, its a gift) - house of fraser outlet
Kenneth Cole Black perfume - house of fraser outlet

Pretty pleased with everything I got, the clothes co-ordinate with my other , older clothes so I don't have to worry about buying anything new to go with them smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now