Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

Doshusallie Sun 10-Feb-13 17:36:28

If ANYONE belonged on this thread it is I.....I buy clothes so often they have to be from the aforementioned shops!!!!!

Trills Sun 10-Feb-13 17:38:32

Yes the dress and boots would go very well together.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 10-Feb-13 17:39:38

Right, can anyone recommend any dresses. I'm going out for dinner next weekend. It's a sort of works do, have no idea where were going but it tends to be a nice bistro/small independent restaurant type place.

So not über posh but not Nandos either.

I'm 36, size 16.

MimikosPanda Sun 10-Feb-13 19:33:25

I love that Mango dress, I've never found a knitted dress that flattered me though, they just seem to highlight my lumps and bumps. Is there a secret to getting a good knitted dress? I've tried on many but never found one that didn't make me look like a sack of potatoes.
I didn't know Mango was cheaper than Zara. Like Trills says, I thought it was roughly the same price bracket as Zara - how did I not know that?! I will have to go in there and have a snoop online.

What are the H&M tube skirts like? Are they a mini skirt? I could do with some more skirts, I only have one, but don't want to spend much cash in case I don't really wear them much.

Today I wore:

Indigo skinnies - DP
Vests - many as it was brass monkeys and snowy
Grey print linen top - H&M Here
Grey/blush pink/stone Scarf - Primark
Grey boots - Rieker Here from an independent local shop for a bargainous £25 last year.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 10-Feb-13 19:49:14

That h&m top is nice Mimiko, does it crumple badly being linen?

Doshusallie Sun 10-Feb-13 19:56:23

Viva - too shirt/too expensive?. I love it.

Doshusallie Sun 10-Feb-13 19:56:36

Short not shirt

DeathMetalMum Sun 10-Feb-13 20:09:21

I will be watching this thread and hopefully the ones to follow. I am 34 weeks pregnant so doubt I will be buying much until the summer at the earliest. Perfect thread for me though.

MimikosPanda Sun 10-Feb-13 20:11:57

Viva It creases much less than you'd think. Today I've taken it off and hung it up (already in my pjs grin ) and it looks fine so though I'd wear it again before I wash it. When I wore my linen t-shirts in the summer though, when it was humid and I was hot then they got quite creased. They do need a good hot iron after washing too.

I'm a bit useless with dresses, but I like these Matalan baroque, 18, and this from H&M, 29.99 would look fab with heels and a clutch bag.

Also, and I can't believe I forgot to mention it in my last post, I've found some Selma jeans! They are some I found at the back of the wardrobe so they were free grin.
I had a good rummage through and I found a pair of Gap straight leg jeans I bough from the outlet once upon a time, I put them away because they were a bit too big on me. I rolled up the bottoms, tried them on with a navy stripe top and my converse and bingo ... Selma!

MimikosPanda Sun 10-Feb-13 20:12:47

Ooo Viva, just saw this one too H&M 25

Queenofknickers Sun 10-Feb-13 20:17:34

Can I recommend M&S online outlet .... Good for work clothes but you have to pick carefully so as not to look like your mother

VivaLeBeaver Sun 10-Feb-13 20:18:38

I love the Monsoon dress but think it might be a bit short.

I really like the Matalan one and also the 2nd h&m one. I think the first h&m one would not be very flattering, probably fine if you're slim but not if you're tubby like me. grin

I'm planning on shopping on Friday so will checkout h&m and monsoon. To sure there's a Matalan nearby to where I'm going on Friday.

landofsoapandglory Sun 10-Feb-13 20:20:34

That baroque dress is nice, and the last H&M one.

Holly Willoughby wears some nice lace ones from Dorothy Perkins but I can't find them online.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 10-Feb-13 20:39:04

Right have ordered the following. This as a possibility for dinner,

matalan

And this as but not for dinner.

day dress

Decided against the earlier Matalan dress as it looked a bit of an odd length.

landofsoapandglory Sun 10-Feb-13 21:34:49

They're nice Viva. I like this one too.

I, also, wonder about these for themSummer, but am worried about the length because I have to wear flat shoes.

I have a couple of tea dresses from Matalan that are about 5 years old, they wash and wear so well.

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Feb-13 21:40:10

Like the stripy one, Viva, but not crazy about the other (but difficult to see what it would be like on).

Also love the Mango dress linked to earlier. I have a lovely knitted dress bought a couple of years ago from M&S Autograph, but I could find room in my wardrobe for another.

CointreauVersial Sun 10-Feb-13 21:43:48

Mimiko, the H&M tube skirts are mid-thigh, so not too short. But they are stretchy, so you could roll the waistband or wear lower on the hips to suit. Very comfy and casual, not smart enough for work, but pretty perfect for the price. There were loads of colours and stripy combos.

MimikosPanda Sun 10-Feb-13 22:00:10

My name is Mimiko and I'm addicted to window shopping. Tonight I've been looking at the Dedenhams sale, this is my wishlist:

Textured t-shirt, 7.65 if you look at the bottom there are other colours too

Runched sleeve t-shirt, 7.65 Again more colours available. These look like great basic t-shirts.

Warehouse Stud woven jumper, 25 also in pink

Buckle tan ankle boots, 20 Repeat 'I don't need new boots, I don't need new boots...."

Phase Eight gold knit jumper, 29 Still too pricey but beautiful

Oasis Raglan T-shirt 10

I keep finding more and more, so think I better stop now!

Land I followed both links but both went to the same tie-waist dress, I like it though.

landofsoapandglory Sun 10-Feb-13 22:04:57

It was meant to go to this (hope it works) Mimkos. I think it is something that could be an unflattering length, though.

MimikosPanda Sun 10-Feb-13 22:13:17

Those midi dresses are awful on me, I have wide muscular calves so they cut me off in just the wrong place IYSWIM, but I've seen some women looking fantastic in them. Can you go in and try it on?

milkybrew Sun 10-Feb-13 23:15:40

Love this thread, I've been following it from my sickbed for days! Thanks to you ladies I've just managed to buy myself shoes and a jumper, plus a scarf for my little sister's birthday, for £35 in the mango sale! I've never ordered from them before so hope everything will fit and look as good in RL as it did on website. Will make a change from all the H&M I usually wear. What's Mango sizing like? I ordered the jumper in medium, I'm 10-12, everything I buy in H&M is usually a small so I sized up, wondering if I should have got large though hmm

Doshusallie Mon 11-Feb-13 09:26:29

Land of, link didn't work for me either?

Mimi I love the phase eight gold jumper and have bookmarked it. I have a similar bat winged jumper in silver from monsoon and often think it would be nice to have it in gold too.

Doshusallie Mon 11-Feb-13 09:27:19

Am still ruminating about the striped mango dress, please feedback a review when it is delivered?

freddiefrog Mon 11-Feb-13 09:47:53

I'm umming and ahhing about that Mango dress too. I am obsessed with stripes and have a million and one striped articles of clothing already so I don't need it...but...but...but

You lot are such a bad influence, I've ordered the Matalan slouch cargo trousers upthread as well.

Today's outfit
Blue skinnies - H&M
White vest top - Primark I think
Pale pink, zip back slouchy jumper - New Look
Dark brown Mardy boots - Caterpillar

Ashoething Mon 11-Feb-13 12:26:08

Today I am wearing-

black star print pearl lowe for peacocks dress
black reverse spot tights-house of holland
black suede shoe boots-new look
black bow belt-primark
faux pearl necklace-primark
dogtooth coat-debenhams

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now