Anyone interested in a 'what we are buying'wearing' thread for those of us who love clothes but have a New Look/Dorothy Perkins/Primark/HM budget?

(627 Posts)
MimikosPanda Sat 02-Feb-13 21:03:27

I love following some blogs and I liked lurking on the AW threads but I can never afford the clothes, shoes and bags that are talked about. I love looking at different styles and then have the challenge of trying to find a cheaper look on the cheaper end of the high street. I'd love to hear what others are finding to give me some ideas.
One of the blogs I follow is doesmybumlook40.blogspot.co.uk, I love Kat's style and whilst she has the odd bit from Primark or H&M there is a lot of Toast, Massimo Dutti, Jigsaw, Whistles and these are just too expensive for me.
So, does anyone fancy sharing tips on good finds on the budget highstreet?

Ilovemyteddy Fri 08-Feb-13 16:09:31

Thanks Lurking. We have an H&M not too far away so I'll try and get over there this weekend. I'll have a look on their website now.

Ashoething Fri 08-Feb-13 16:54:26

Today I am wearing-

Blue flower print tea dress-new look
navy opaques-wallis
tan calf boots-new look
blue military style coat-new look
blue suede bow gloves-primark

freddiefrog Fri 08-Feb-13 17:01:39

MimikosPanda it was about a fiver from eBay. Stick 'soft kitty t shirt' in search and loads come up

SilverSky Fri 08-Feb-13 23:10:01

Marking spot to steal collect ideas and tips! smile

GingerLemonTea Fri 08-Feb-13 23:21:59

Bought this...
Matalan grey cardi
Wore it today, soft with nice button detail at wrists, very good for £12. Not washed it yet, but kept its shape today. Think I will get it in the brown too.

MimikosPanda Fri 08-Feb-13 23:25:21

Ginger Is it quite long in the body?

GingerLemonTea Fri 08-Feb-13 23:39:48

Yes, I'm 5"8 and it covers my bottom.

GingerLemonTea Fri 08-Feb-13 23:41:09

V long sleeves, which I like, but might be too long for some?

DillyTante Sat 09-Feb-13 08:21:25

"Today I am wearing-

Blue flower print tea dress-new look
navy opaques-wallis
tan calf boots-new look
blue military style coat-new look
blue suede bow gloves-primark"

I want what she's wearing grin

Ashoething Sat 09-Feb-13 09:09:33

Thanks dillytantegrin

Today I am wearing-

Pearl lowe for peacocks star print dress
heart print tights-primark
tan calf boots-new look I love them-and were in the sale!
leopard print coat-matalan
cream leather bow gloves-monsoon

nipersvest Sat 09-Feb-13 10:35:48

not dressed yet, but when i do it'll be -

tan marl tights, tesco
uniqlo heattech dress in plum
tan thin extra long belt (those ones you wrap around a couple of times), ebay
tan cardi, think it's from fashion union

DillyTante Sat 09-Feb-13 11:24:56

I have a challenge for you, I'd like to embellish some basic t shirts, where can I get some reasonable but quite nice basic t shirts. I'm thinking less clingy and thin than primark.

DillyTante Sat 09-Feb-13 11:25:55

Oh btw I had a look and you can get 'soft kitty' t shirt transfers to make your own tshirt!

CointreauVersial Sat 09-Feb-13 13:17:25

Dilly, I needed a basic white tee recently for DD1's school play, and I ended up buying it in the local teeshirt print place (they also do our school uniform). They had every size and colour you could want, and perfectly happy to sell one to me unprinted. It's surprisingly tricky to find completely plain basics in the shops! But you could also try M&S.

Today's outfit:

White HeatTech top, Uniqlo
Beige chunky knit short sleeved tunic jumper, M&S
Black skinny jeggings, Uniqlo
Pink slippersox!

MimikosPanda Sat 09-Feb-13 18:20:38

Today I was in:

Indigo skinnies - DP
Vests - as usual
Burgandy & cream breton style jumper - River Island
Scarf - Matalan
Tan ankle boots - Tesco

I had to go shopping this afternoon for the DC, I didn't manage to shop for them without doing a little for me, even though I was meant to be window shopping only.

Anyway, I saw this from Matalan, think they do a khaki colour too. Its polyester and viscose which I'm not mad about but I really like the oil wash effect and it is very similar in style to the Zara linen tees that I have but that are more expensive so I got it and I'll put it away for now, its too cold for short sleeves.

There were a few things in Matalan that I like, they all had 'Papaya Weekend' labels in them so I was wondering if Matalan have launched a new range. I've had Papaya before but never seen Papaya Weekend.

Ginger I saw that cardi you linked whilst I was in there, its really nice but I'm 5ft4 and it was a bit too long on me, did me no favours, lovely though.

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 09-Feb-13 18:58:43

Mimikos I really like that t-shirt - might have to take a trip to Matalan to have a look. I also like the slouch cargo trousers they've shown with it but I'm not sure if I'm too old for them. I don't know why but I'm suddenly having a crisis about what is age appropriate for me (I'm 43).

Doshusallie Sat 09-Feb-13 19:24:40

I like This

Doshusallie Sat 09-Feb-13 19:26:03

Barratts online have a sandals sale on at the moment, some quite cute ones for £3-8, limited sizes left though.

Roopoo Sat 09-Feb-13 19:40:57

The hareem/harem pants looked obnoxious on me.. I looked like an oversized weeble.
Im a bit stuck now as had wanted to wear them next weekend to the day part of a hen do........

Im now thinking a dress over leggings.... I dont know... The dress I liked on la redoute is sold outsad

And ideas??
Im size 16/18 5ft 7 and im carrying baby blubber on my stomach....
Help

freddiefrog Sat 09-Feb-13 19:44:03

I like the slouch cargo trousers too. May have to visit Matalan next week.

I spent today slobbing around at home so outfit isn't very exciting

Levi's from TK Maxx
Yellow zip up hoodie - Animal
Dark maroon t-shirt - Trespass
Fuggs - can't remember where from, ancient and minging but I've got cold feet

MimikosPanda Sat 09-Feb-13 19:48:23

Always I saw the trousers whilst I was in there, they looked good. If I had been on my own I would have tried them on but I had the DC with me so I would have been pushing my luck. Probably for the best or I might have bought them!

I was pretty impressed with the new ranges in Matalan, much better than what has been in over the last few months. I seem to go in cycles with Matalan, some seasons I find lots I like in there and other seasons there is just nothing for me. Anyway, these were the things I saw today and liked:

Zip Back Chiffon Blouse 18 Beautiful but massive, even size small was like a tent on me, also in navy here

Falmer Crochet Jumper 25 Lovely, but I thought too expensive for what it was, no under vest included either, but it was nice.

Foil Print Top 12 Thought this was great for the price, too jazzy for me for daytime and because I never go out I'd never wear it but it was lovely.

Tape Drop Back Jumper 18 Now this I had to drag myself away from, it is lovely and is seriously flattering on.

cocolepew Sat 09-Feb-13 19:50:29

I have trousers like the slouchy combats from Sainsburys a few years ago. They were so comfy I bought green, grey and black! I got them back out of the back of the wardrobe last week, they seem to have come back into fashion.

I like an elasticated waist grin

MimikosPanda Sat 09-Feb-13 19:51:29

Forgot one! Like this too Long Line Pocket Top 8

AlwaysReadyForABlether Sat 09-Feb-13 19:51:42

Mimikos can I come shopping with you? You find fab stuff! I really like the zip back blouse. I also quite like the drop back jumper - I'm just not sure if it would make my boobs look even more enormous! Definitely need to go for a look round Matalan next weekend.

cocolepew Sat 09-Feb-13 19:53:19

Roopoo, the oversized tshirt in the link would work with leggings, it would make a change from dresses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now