Are brogues still 'in'

(38 Posts)
Peggotty Fri 01-Feb-13 13:04:13

I realise that having to ask marks me out as a fashion amateur but still need to know... I fancy a pair to wear with some slim fit trousers.

Pseudonymity Fri 01-Feb-13 13:08:43

I think it's more lace-up Oxfords, loafers and 'Monk shoes' now. There are some nice Oxfords at Gap. Brogues are dreadfully hard and uncomfortable, at least my Russell and Bromley ones are.

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 13:13:11

All DD2s lot wear black Brogues to school, so I have trouble thinking of them as adult footwear.

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 13:14:03

They make really good school shoes, way more waterproof than stupid pumps.

Peggotty Fri 01-Feb-13 13:17:12

Ah thanks. Oxfords are slightly more delicate looking than brogues perhaps? Not keen on loafers.

Peggotty Fri 01-Feb-13 13:19:30

So would I look like an overgrown schoolgirl in something like these ?

dexter73 Fri 01-Feb-13 14:53:57

If you want comfortable brogues try the Clarks ones. I wore them all day the first day I got them and they were so comfortable.

mirpuppet Fri 01-Feb-13 18:29:51

The ones you link to are perfect.

Depends on your clothes if you would look like an over grown school girl.

Second the Clarks recommendation -- very comfortable. My mother tried mine on and wanted some. We are both happy with the brogues.

sansucre Fri 01-Feb-13 19:02:13

Monks strap shoes, especially double monk straps are the work of the devil. Avoid.
Oxfords are the same shape as a brogue but don't have any of the gimping (the hole punch-out detailing)

Personally, I think that if you like something, buy and wear it with pride. Brogues are timeless, classic and chic, what can be wrong with that? Two-tone brogues are also worth considering.

If you are prepared to spend money, avoid Russell and Bromley as their brogues/Oxfords aren't well made/worth the money and to my knowledge, not even made in the correct way either. (Actually, avoid R&B full stop as it's over-priced, badly made rubbish.)

scarlet76 Fri 01-Feb-13 19:09:10

Another vote here for Clarks brogues. Even the patent ones are soft enough to wear without socks if required.

LifeofPo Fri 01-Feb-13 19:12:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

toboldlygo Fri 01-Feb-13 19:15:33

The Clarks brogues are butter soft, I also can wear them without socks. And they come in a wide fitting without looking remotely clumpy.

GrendelsMum Fri 01-Feb-13 19:45:21

So are people saying that these are a good balance of style and comfort?

If so, which would you recommend as being currently on trend and suitable for going directly from an office to a muddy park?

faustina Fri 01-Feb-13 19:56:32

Has anyone tried the new Gap ones? (the brogues, not the oxfords) They look really nice ...

shopafrolic Fri 01-Feb-13 20:11:07

I have to ask. What is the difference between a brogue and an Oxford please? blush

faustina Fri 01-Feb-13 20:47:05

I think it's that brogues have the little holes punched in them, and oxfords don't

MerylStrop Fri 01-Feb-13 20:50:38

If you want to be all fashion you need

Nan shoes

sansucre Fri 01-Feb-13 20:53:02

I've already explained it but will do so again!

Brogues have a punched-out trim on them, actually known as 'gimping'. The sole is also stitched on, and can be totally replaced.

Oxfords (occasionally known as Derbies) are lace-ups shoes much like brogues but without the decoration, much like these

Any other queries? smile

flowwithit Fri 01-Feb-13 21:04:04

I like the look of the nude and the mushroom brogues in clarks

mewkins Fri 01-Feb-13 21:07:21

Anothet vote for the clarks ones. I have the dark tan ones and really like them. they have gone up a whole fiver since I bought them about 4 months ago. Inflation gone mad! I would also wait for a 20% discount code as they do those a lot. They are very good quality though.

flowwithit Fri 01-Feb-13 21:13:15

I think I might get the bodkin bone ones they look more summery and smarter than my normal converse types. I will wait for the % discount too

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 21:28:40

No I'm putting you in detention, school shoes must be black grin

I quite like those, even though I always wear boots so I can wear any old socks.

flowwithit Fri 01-Feb-13 21:35:05

Ha I was just thinking about the socks problem i will have to get some pretty summer ones all I've got is boring black

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 23:52:51

I do boots in winter and sandals in summer, I never know what to do when people have ballet pumps and deck shoes in in spring. Shoes without socks rub.

I end up in trainers and light coloured socks.

The DDs wear ballet pumps, DD1 carefully chosen ones because she's almost as bad as me. DD2 jazzy cheap new look ones. I'm envy they are colourful and fun, but they hurt my heels.

shopafrolic Sat 02-Feb-13 07:55:12

Apologies Sansucre must stop skim reading threads. Thanks for the detail.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now