how do you take care of a leather handbag, or do you?

(19 Posts)
MariahHairy Fri 01-Feb-13 08:25:58

got a lovely light grey oushka handbag for my birthday. it is my first proper handbag. it looks lovely and I would like to make sure it stays that way for a long time.

how do you look after a leather handbag? or do you just use it? hmm

madammecholet Fri 01-Feb-13 08:39:35

I use a cleaning cream (collonil gel) every month on mine and also a protective waterproof spray (waterstop).. gel keeps the leather supple and spray stops water from getting into the leather...

They're like new most of them.. <handbagaddict>

faustina Fri 01-Feb-13 08:42:01

I give it a good spray with Colonil when i first get it, to waterproof it, and then I just hope for the best - although I do take a bit more care over something in oak - like where I'd put it down for instance

faustina Fri 01-Feb-13 08:43:34

that gel sounds good madamec - do you have to wait ages for it to dry etc? How long does it take to do a bag?

JumpHerWho Fri 01-Feb-13 11:42:24

Does the waterproofing spray change the look of the leather at all? Just got a gorgeous new bag (Marc by Marc Hillier in dark coral) and it's a light bright colour, so I want to maintain it well.

MarshaBrady Fri 01-Feb-13 11:45:43

I'd like to know these things. Where do you get the cream from madammecholet?

faustina Fri 01-Feb-13 12:08:42

the waterproofing spray is fine with anything. I doused my oak bayswater and it made zero difference to the colour once it was dry. Smells foul while you're doing it though - make sure you have a window open!

Mominatrix Fri 01-Feb-13 12:12:31

I use 2 products which were recommended by someone who works quite a bit with leather professionally - Blackrocks Leather n' Rich (moisturises and conditions leathers) and Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP (leather protector) to seal in the moisture and waterproof leathers. This woman has transformed vintage Hermes leathers, and recommends these two products for new fine leather bags too.

Hermes craftsmen use Creme Saphir on their bags.

I use Creme Saphir for quick clean ups, and use the Blackrocks/obenaufs for once a year conditioning and protection. It is a miracle treatment which allows me to carry box leather bags in heavy downpours without any blistering. It also worked so well that it protected a box birkin of mine when my DS vomited all over it (and in it). The bag was just wiped down, and looked as if nothing had happened. DS took a bit longer to feel better.

ComradeJing Fri 01-Feb-13 12:21:45

Where do you buy those products please Mominatrix?

madammecholet Fri 01-Feb-13 12:22:07

MarshaBrady you can get it from Amazon.. here
collonil gel

collonil waterstop

JumpHerwhoThe gel goes on in small amount and makes it look damp for a minute before it soaks in - don't use loads tho and use a new or clean cloth. The spray has never changed the colour, but again it soaks in quick and protects from dirt as well as rain..

I'm an addict, I clean my bags regularly just like you would shoes. Keeps them looking as new imo..

MarshaBrady Fri 01-Feb-13 12:24:26

Thank you MmeCholet! Also to Momin they sound great.

I fear I should have done it earlier. But better late than never.

madammecholet Fri 01-Feb-13 12:29:36

Your welcome MarshaBrady I bet your amazed with the results of the gel if you've never done it before!

Mominatrix Fri 01-Feb-13 13:25:22

Creme Saphir source.

For the other 2 products, ebay, amazon.com, and tack supply sites (they are loved by horse owners for their saddles).

noviceoftheday Fri 01-Feb-13 20:04:03

Thanks for the links! Have. Ordered the Amazon ones.

shopafrolic Fri 01-Feb-13 20:14:30

Thanks for these links. I've always wondered where to buy Collonil. Must take better care of my bags.......

JumpHerWho Fri 01-Feb-13 21:00:21

Thanks madammecholet. Will be purchasing. I don't take v good care of my shoes either though... must start.

thank you for this thread! I only have three leather bags worthy of this kind of care, but they really deserve it and this has prodded me to do it!

MariahHairy Sat 02-Feb-13 11:10:23

thank you all. ordered the collonil :-)

MoodyDidIt Sat 02-Feb-13 12:26:07

i use pure coconut oil on my Balenciaga city <stealthboast> blush - in fact have just done it now, does a great job IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now