Growing out a crop. HELP - I look like Macca.

(25 Posts)
EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 13:59:07

This was not the plan

How can I keep growing it out and look less like a pension-aged popster?

TheCraicDealer Thu 31-Jan-13 14:02:20

Haha! At least you can accessorise with your fabulous sense of humour.

I have no advice, but my Dtwin is doing the same. She says she's going to squeal the next time she reads an article in a magazine suggesting she buy some "nice clips and hairbands" for that awkward growing-out stage.

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 14:05:10

I cannot do hairclips without looking like a toddler. I fear the arrival of spring when hats have to come off in public.

LifeofPo Thu 31-Jan-13 14:06:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCraicDealer Thu 31-Jan-13 14:07:24

Really? You don't think these are the epitome of sophistication?

DontPhoneItIn Thu 31-Jan-13 14:09:08

When I was growing out my hair, my hairdresser would only trim the back/mullet bit and leave the sides to do their own thing, so it will all grow to the same length pretty quickly. smile

QuinnFabray Thu 31-Jan-13 14:12:28

I grew my hair out from a crop, about three years ago. I still went and got it trimmed every eight weeks, it was the only thing that got me through it, keeping it neat. Get the bottom neatened up, whilst the top bit grows out.

WowOoo Colombia Thu 31-Jan-13 14:12:36

Craic, of course they are.

How about kirby grips? Little black headband to tuck the mullety bits in to.
I don't read magazines, but I'm at the same stage hair wise.
Spring hats! Why not?

I once gelled the sticky out bits down. People kept asking if I'd been swimming as my hair was wet.

pocketandsweet Thu 31-Jan-13 14:17:23

Oh ewan you did make me laugh. I bet it's not that bad... Anyway just keep saying funny things and no one will notice your dodgy hair. As someone who keeps cutting short and then periodically growing out my hair I second the clips suggestion.... That and a bit of wax can help to give it some shape during that awkward phase. I just recently cut off most of my hair and although I have had loads of compliments and I do like it I sometimes catch glimpse of myself in a mirror and wonder if it's a touch Myra Hindley ( too scared to say this to people in real life in case they agree)

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 14:31:54

I remember doing something in the 90's <vague> where I twisted bits of hair and pinned them down with kirby grips. I might have looked like the one with the dodgy hair off Bwitched

TheCraicDealer Thu 31-Jan-13 14:35:05

C'mon now, could've been so much worse, OP.

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 14:40:09

When my hair is long enough I am definitely getting one of those, Craic. That is motivation to push on through the mullet stage.

Moxxie Thu 31-Jan-13 14:42:20

If it's any consolation, I've just decided to grow mine out, only I have an asymmetric crop thingy, so I'm going to look a right mess. I know this because I've done it before (and said I'd never do it again...).

TheCraicDealer Thu 31-Jan-13 14:43:15

Do you remember this look as well? Sorry I'm being no help, I just keep getting flashbacks from all my bad hair-choices.

LifeofPo Thu 31-Jan-13 14:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hugoagogo Thu 31-Jan-13 15:09:31

You need to get regular trims.

That heart thing is hilarious.grin

Reunited is on tonight, with bewitched! am a bit excited. blush

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 15:19:26

You're right, I need a small trim. Hair starts growing faster in spring, right?

Maybe it would help if I put some colour in. The current hue of 'elderly sewer rat' is not helping.

OrchidFlakes Thu 31-Jan-13 15:59:20

Deep side parting and slick it. Obvs not for everyday but it saved my bacon when I was growing out a crop. celebsalon.sheknows.com/short-hairstyles/victoria-beckhams-sleek-short-style/

Also try and alice band and then using a small barrel curling iron curl the hair behind the alice band then 'rough up' diaryofatinyholder.blogspot.co.uk/2010/10/natural-hair-products-my-favourites.html (scroll down a bit)

Apologies if VB isn't a preferred celeb - she's just v good with short hair!

Failing that, rock a quiff! www.instyle.co.uk/news/short-hairstyle-how-to-get-january-jones-gravity-defying-quiff-28-01-13

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 17:52:46

YES! Orchid, those are splendid links. I reckon I can do all of those.

I did try the slicked side-parting a while back and DH started singing 'Karma Police' at me. "Her Hitler hairdo is making me feel ill" was the pertinent line, IIRC.

Sod him, though.

OrchidFlakes Thu 31-Jan-13 19:05:21

Sid him indeed! Rock a smokey eye with it and tell him to get stuffed wink

OrchidFlakes Thu 31-Jan-13 19:05:48

Sid= Sod (iPhone autocorrect!)

Jemster Thu 31-Jan-13 20:07:36

I have to say after a shite day with a crying teething dd, this has put a smile on my face, so funny! No words of advice I'm afraid. I am currently trying to grow my cut too short bob out as am fed up looking like a mushroom!

Arithmeticulous Thu 31-Jan-13 20:22:58

Keep your thumbs down. HTH.

EwanHoozami Iran Thu 31-Jan-13 20:38:29

grin Arith

Arithmeticulous Thu 31-Jan-13 20:41:10

Stay away from the Loreal and the scary ladies as well grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now