But its very good quality polyester

(73 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Thu 31-Jan-13 12:54:51

This is what the assistant in Jigsaw told me today when I queried the cost of 100% polyester blouse - it was £89.

This is after the assistant in Whistles told me last year but its french polyester when I laughed a 100% polyester top being £195.

Honestly do these stores think we're stupid!

orangeandlemons Fri 01-Feb-13 15:37:00

Yeah, cotton is actually more polluting to the environment than the production of polyester. Soon they will be trying to add an environmentally friendly label to polyester.....

GetOrf Fri 01-Feb-13 15:39:28

I love French Polyester! They must see people coming.

I don't mind it for some things - but they would have to be cheap. No way would I spend more than 30, 40 quid on something made from polyester.

woozlebear Fri 01-Feb-13 15:57:07

Btw, Seasalt may be all natural fibres, but the designs are so dowdy!

I love the way you say 'btw' as if people are going to suddenly think 'Oh yeah, of course, they're really dowdy, how silly of me not to have noticed. Oh well, I'll stop liking them now'.

harbingerofdoom Fri 01-Feb-13 16:07:22

woozlebear, I agree with you about the thin jumpers at Uniqlo. If they were twice (or even 1 1/2 times) as thick they would be perfect.

Woolovers is ace and also have very good customer service.

niminypiminy Fri 01-Feb-13 16:11:57

I don't mind if you like Seasalt - I just think their clothes are really dowdy.

It might be a close-run thing whether polyester or cotton is the more environmentally unfriendly. You would have to factor in energy costs for all the stages in production (artificial fertiliser for example has incredibly high energy costs), water usage, pollutants involved in production, biodegradability, energy used in producing the garments and in their dyeing and maintenance.

It's not that I love polyester more than cotton, just that I think the era of cheap cotton, and of cheap clothes generally, may well be behind us.

woozlebear Fri 01-Feb-13 16:37:28

niminy I think you're right to a large extent certainly with the super-cheap end of the market, but don't the few and far between shops that do make good quality reasonably priced natural fibre clothes (trendiness of said clothes aside) indicate that a large amount of the problem is just a lot of retailers realising they can get away with it and just lining their pockets by selling bad quality tat at inflated prices?

Re the environmental factors - a big consideration surely is the most polyster isn't biodegradable?

And I'm glad you don't mind my liking Seasalt. Very relieved wink

noddyholder Fri 01-Feb-13 16:40:36

Seasalt aren't they tunics and leggings shock maternity style?

woozlebear Fri 01-Feb-13 16:45:00

Some tunics and leggings, lots of striped tops, linen skirts and trousers, some print dresses, nice knitwear (I think).

Pseudonymity Fri 01-Feb-13 16:56:56

I don't know Seasalt. There are lots of factors but the 'top end' of the high street, e.g. Whistles, Jaeger, Jigsaw etc. have relied on the low cost of fabric for years to bring 'designer level' clothes to the high street. Now prices have risen so something had to give. Maintaining brands like that is a high cost affair, I sometimes wonder how long Whistles and Jigsaw will last as no-one seems to go in them anymore in my very affluent but outside London city. It was a bit insane when 'throwaway' kind of outlets such as Tesco started doing Cashmere and Primark doing tees for a couple of quid. There had to be something wrong somewhere, it's the bad side of capitalism unfortunately.

Pseudonymity Fri 01-Feb-13 17:09:13

Btw, I'm not sure kind of Puritan! Just interested in the subject. I am a fashion addict but love the idea that I would just invest in a few very high quality items per year. Sadly, I am very far away from that ideal grin

orangeandlemons Fri 01-Feb-13 22:15:49

Cotton is more polluting because of all the processes it has to go through which use lakes of water, bleaches, finishes, fertilisers, dyes. Dye fixes etc etc. When polyester is made, the dye is just added to the liquid solution which makes the fibres. It requires very little bleaching or other processes as it all takes place at the liquid stage, so little water usage. Still uses fossil fue though.........

woozlebear I agree, absolutely can't stand acrylic especially. Won't buy anything with acrylic in it because it bobbles and looks like a rag quickly. The only thing is it's so hard to find non frumpy 100% natural fibre knitwear.

KristinaM Fri 01-Feb-13 22:32:34

I'm with the fussy Mrs Campbell black. Stuck up enough to destest polyester and old enough to remember Crimpalene wink

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 01-Feb-13 22:40:27

niminy - you do have to be careful with Seasalt, but I am a SAHM to 2 little boys, one just started school, the other at home with me. Natural fibre clothes than don't crease too badly and wash well and don't leave me a sweaty mess after a battle royal nappy change are v.hard to find!

PoppyWearer Fri 01-Feb-13 23:17:49

Seasalt is dowdy good for Breton tops but all I need as a SAHM this time of year, clothes are under coats outside of the house anyway!

PretzelTime Fri 01-Feb-13 23:27:24

I actually agree about Seasalt but they're the only ones I can think of with good natural fabrics and not super high prices.

It would be great to hear more shop recommendations.

I have one polyester item currently, a skirt...the useless thing started to pill after only a few wears.

bringmeroses Fri 01-Feb-13 23:31:23

Seasalt has a wide-ish range and should have something for any Fat Face/White Stuff fans. Lovely fabrics that wash and wear v well.

Agree with Niminy that clothes have got far too cheap. I like H&M for natural fibres at v reasonable prices.

As to OPs question, no they don't think you're stupid, just that you can afford it and you won't mind. I'm always staggered at high end clothes prices in magazines, by which I mean the likes of Hobbs, Whistles etc, though I know you can pay a lot more for proper designers. I guess some people must have massive clothing budgets but I don't know any of them.

Startail Fri 01-Feb-13 23:38:57

I have a sea salt tunic, it's lovely heavy fabric, but the pattern is loud circles. circles. I'm sure every one remembers it the second time I wear it.

This years are dowdy, I don't need another striped too, the only nice cotton tops you can get are stripped.

I have a M&S, Sea Salt, sainsburys and black and white one from I can't remember I do not want another stripped top.

This country generates, how many fashion graduates a year?
Surely we can have something other than stripes or ditsy flowers that is tasteful?

SueFawley Sat 02-Feb-13 11:15:36

Interesting thread for me to read as I know very little about fabrics.
I understand the difference between natural and man made fabrics, but are viscose and acrylic the same as polyester? I mean, would the label say 'polyester' on it or would it have some wonderfully euphemistic name? grin

orangeandlemons Sat 02-Feb-13 11:54:51

No viscose is made from regenerated wood pulp but has loads of chemicals added to it. Polyester and acrylic are both oil based. What pisses me off is when companies refer to natural fibres and they mean viscose!

SueFawley Sat 02-Feb-13 12:06:45

Thanks oranges I clearly need to educate myself about this. Just had a quick look through my wardrobe and there's a lot of viscose in there, but no polyester at this point. A few acrylic sweaters too - which always crackle when I take them off and make my hair stand on end.
Time to up my game to better quality when I'm clothes shopping.

issimma Sat 02-Feb-13 13:08:01

Another natural fibre devotee here. And another vote for woolovers for plain jumpers in lambs wool/merino/cashmere at non-insane prices.
I don't buy polyester, acrylic or nylon blends. Too sweaty, bobbly and not warm.

What's modal?

GobblersKnob Sat 02-Feb-13 13:35:34

Modal is another made from wood pulp as is Rayon I think?

Hemp is an excellent lower enviromenal impact fabric as it requires no pesticides, bamboo is good too.

Some places to buy natural and 'green' clothes

Komodo

Braintree

People Tree

Frank and Faith

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now