But its very good quality polyester

(73 Posts)
MrsCampbellBlack Thu 31-Jan-13 12:54:51

This is what the assistant in Jigsaw told me today when I queried the cost of 100% polyester blouse - it was £89.

This is after the assistant in Whistles told me last year but its french polyester when I laughed a 100% polyester top being £195.

Honestly do these stores think we're stupid!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 31-Jan-13 20:24:33

It is such a 70's fabric isn't it - I remember women wearing crimplene dresses then - who'd have thought 30 years later its the Emperor's new fabric

orangeandlemons Thu 31-Jan-13 20:25:36

Isn't the wonderful ponte the new crimpelene?

orangeandlemons Thu 31-Jan-13 20:28:21

I'm sick of the whole polyester thing. I have money to spend and want to buy some new clothes, but can't find any. Surely some shop somewhere is losing my custom.

I wish there was somewhere we could raise this issue. British fashion council?

Mrsap Thu 31-Jan-13 20:32:25

Oh my memories. Tea round at the old lady next door. She had a lot of Crimplene and about a 1000 parrots.

The mere memory has made me need lie down on my (100% cotton sheets) bed!

My grandparents still have, wait for it.....polyester bedding. My DH refuses to stay there!

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 31-Jan-13 20:33:38

Oh god - bobbly polyester sheets [has a little lie down]

Mrsap Thu 31-Jan-13 20:36:21

You wouldn't want to lie down on them! They r frilly, flamingo pink and they also use polyester blankets, all covered by a delightful matching polyester bed spread. Oh yes, curtains and light fittings to match too.

It is like walking into my own personal hell. They r great grandparents thogringrin

orangeandlemons Thu 31-Jan-13 20:44:04

I remember nylon sheets when little. Getting in to bed with a nylon nightie and watching the sparks!

Fond memories. Still hate the bloody stuff though!

Mrsap Thu 31-Jan-13 20:49:08

Orangesandlemons, you've just brought back a whole load of repressed memories.

Nylon nighties. shock Am shuddering at that memory. What were they all thinking?

MrsCampbellBlack Thu 31-Jan-13 20:51:48

No wonder everyone was so scared of paraffin heaters - god we'd have been up in flames

Mrsap Thu 31-Jan-13 21:06:47

gringringrin

Although not laughing about going up in flames. It's more the idea of all the man made fibre. Just making me chuckle. Mind u it could be that the 3rd G&T had tipped me over the edge.

Startail Thu 31-Jan-13 21:07:26

I'm a SAHM, I want to be warm and sometimes I do stuff were I need to be smartish.

I want good thick cotton jersey tops and tunics. Not paper thin cotton, flimsy sweaty see through polyester or useless viscose that needs ironing. And I don't want to pay White Stuff prices unless their fabric gets thicker.

orangeandlemons Thu 31-Jan-13 21:14:04

I want silkgrin

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 31-Jan-13 21:16:17

Startail - have you looked at Seasalt? It isn't all to my taste, but I have a lovely heavy cotton top from there that is warm and comfy to wear and best of all if hung correctly when damp doesn't need ironing.

I hate polyester, sweaty and revolting. How long will this go on? You can't even machine wash it all.

orangeandlemons Thu 31-Jan-13 21:19:19

mrs CB. Just re read your original post. Lol at French polyester. It all comes from frigging China, unless perchance it was exclusively handcrafted in French villages....you know...where they have access to huge petrochemical plants and artisan polyester production.

French polyester my arse...wish I'd have been there, I would have wiped the floor with her.

PoppyWearer Thu 31-Jan-13 21:42:58

I second Seasalt, very lovely thick cotton, am wearing one of their tops now, not the most stylish but was vcheap in their sale.

PretzelTime Thu 31-Jan-13 22:40:14

Yeah, ugh, polyester. Expensive, special polyester, I just don't get it. I think this is thread #46546 I'm hating on the devil's fabric btw.
It's so hard to find OK quality stuff now.
Thirding Seasalt, wish they would make solid colour tops and not only stripe-ahem, Bretons.

AwkwardSquad Fri 01-Feb-13 07:26:17

I fourth Seasalt. It washes really well.

Absy Fri 01-Feb-13 07:35:21

I hear you. I hate all this polyester, it's just getting ridiculous. I will occassionally concede polyester bottoms (as then you don't sweat as much), but defo not for tops (actually, I have one but it cost £1.50, what you should pay for poylester).

The most ridic item I saw was a beautiful dress in Hugo Boss, flame coloured - really gorgeous. It was around £500, which is steep but I thought "well, at least it will be silk". Nope. Fucking Polyester - £500 for a polyester dress. I still haven't recovered from that.

Tweet2tweet Fri 01-Feb-13 12:12:58

A shop assistant once told me that you can't sweat in 'modern' polyester. They will tell you anything to sell stuff.

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 01-Feb-13 12:25:07

Tweet - that's hilarious.

I feel sorry for the shop assistants - they look embarassed spewing forth the crap to be honest.

woozlebear Fri 01-Feb-13 12:47:15

I was reading the posts thinking 'Ooh, I'll have to recomend Seasalt', and two people already have, so I'll third it. Lovely natural fabrics, good thick quality. Great company to deal with. Everything is 100% wool, cotton and linen.

I find it easy to avoid polyester tops as I dress fairly simply and find it fairly easy to track down plain cotton tops although get annoyed by bad quality ones that crease and go saggy within half an hour, go crunchy in the wash. It's also hard to find smooth, smart ones that aren't see through for a reasonable price. So many are gossamer-thin or roughly woven and too casual looking to be versatile.

My biggest bugbear is the lack of woollen jumpers around. Everything cheap is acrylic or some godforsaken mix involving about 2% cashmere (enabling a label cooing 'cashmere blend' and a 20 quid price hike) and 10% angora (why?? all it does it bobble!) and everything 'nice' is cashmere at absurd prices and often shocking quality too. M&S used to a decent range ot 100% lamsbwool/merino jumpers which is now virtually non-existent. Uniqlo used to be good until they decided to make their stuff so thin it would barely be warm enough in summer, and also showed whatever you were wearing underneath and call it 'Superfine' as if that's somehow a selling point. Pure used to be ok but their prices have gone silly, and their supposedly bargain 'cashmere merino' blend range is just an insult to my intelligence. Most of my winter wardrobe (well, the top part) comes from Woolovers for this reason. Love them.

Who are the people happy to buy all this cr*p?

woozlebear Fri 01-Feb-13 12:49:47

Ok, so actually I fifth Seasalt smile

Pseudonymity Fri 01-Feb-13 12:58:21

I don't like polyester. Unfortunately it's on the rise. The reason is that natural fabrics are a limited resource - cotton is now v. expensive and resource heavy to produce. Cashmere is only produced in a tiny amount which can't be increased. Silk has become very expensive I've noticed, I remember when you could buy a silk tee in NEXT! Basically, far more people in the world now want these fabrics, there is no more capacity for production so the price just goes up. Sorry to bang on but I think it's interesting when fashion meets politics/real life etc. I'm a total fashion lover too!

neriberi Fri 01-Feb-13 13:51:46

I check the labels on everything I buy now, I much much prefer the feel and smell of natural fibres. Polyester just has this weird "wet dog" whiff about it IMO.

niminypiminy Fri 01-Feb-13 14:07:27

Cotton production is a major factor in environmental degradation and habitat loss, due to the huge quantities of water and pesticides used. For some years now commodity prices (cotton and wool among them) have been rising, and so have manufacturing costs in the third world, where most clothes we wear are produced. And as Pseudonymity says, as consumers in China, India and elsewhere get better off they are demanding goods made from these materials, and more of them. Since global capitalism depends on rising consumption, this is probably a good thing -- but where you have a finite resource, it will mean that the price of that resource will rise.

All these things mean that clothes will get more expensive. Retailers are responding to consumer demand for cheap clothes by substituting polyester cotton-poly blends and for pure cotton. But even at the higher end of the high street, costs are rising sharply and retailers are looking at substituting for natural fibres. Clothes are astoundingly cheap now (relative to our incomes) than they were even a couple of decades ago. We have become used to living in a situation where we expect to buy clothes made in natural fibres very cheaply -- while we were able to do so it was because artificial fertilizers, pesticides and intensive irrigation, plus scandalously cheap labour and good exchange rates. We will have to get used to a situation where we no longer can.

Btw, Seasalt may be all natural fibres, but the designs are so dowdy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now