Going back to work - basic wardrobe needed!

(19 Posts)

Hope you like the skirt. smile

Peekabooooo Sat 02-Feb-13 15:52:57

Go for something simple and comfortable.
Trousers, vest and cardigan, or three-quarter length sleeved t'shirt.

Lexiesinclair Sat 02-Feb-13 15:39:30

Thanks both. I have bought some mid heel black shoes from Clarks and I'll get some nice ballerina pumps when it gets warmer.

I have also ordered a cotton pencil skirt from M&S on your recommendation Remus. smile

Shoes- I have a pair of platform heels that are really comfortable. I wear boots to work and then change when I get there (I keep them at work). Or I like ballet shoes in the spring, especially my leopard print ones. I like Dune for shoes (good sales).

GayleFartsAreLoud Fri 01-Feb-13 12:44:25

I like to wear balerina pump style shoes. M&S and Next do nice shoes. Sainsburys do cheap and stylish shoes too. Also worth a look at Asda George clothes. Cheap and cheerful. Avoid supermarket jumpers/cardigans as they lose there quality quickly.

Lexiesinclair Thu 31-Jan-13 07:08:25

Thanks everyone. I'll have a look at Wallis too, that's somewhere I never thought of. Sadly I don't have a local Tesco that does clothing.
Can anyone suggest other good places for shoes? And what styles do you wear? I'd need a mid heel I think as I'm so out of practice in wearing anything very high.

HanneHolm Thu 31-Jan-13 07:06:39

Agree. Remus I got a marks skirt from there after you said. The one with two zips on the hips. Size down. So comfy. Plus lined

UsedToBeAPixie Wed 30-Jan-13 22:47:52

I have to be smart but not suited-and-booted at work, so everything for me comes from Tesco, Wallis or M&S. My mat leave ends soon so I've picked up a few things recently, M&S have some good tailoring in and Tesco/Sainsburys are great for outfit-stretching scarves. I get things that are a bit more fun from Wallis, and I love there shoes. They're also having a 30% sale at the moment...

nowrinklesonamelon Wed 30-Jan-13 22:37:50

I would buy a good quality jacket that fits your shape well then put long sleeved T shirts or jumpers underneath - I agree about TU this winter - they have been good value. A good quality jacket is a must for work I think but you can dress it up with scarves or jewellery and get away with cheaper tops. Pencil skirts always look good and make you feel smart.

I love The White Company for jersey dresses - but at sale prices!

Lexiesinclair Wed 30-Jan-13 22:20:01

Thanks Princess. What style of dresses do you wear?

PrincessOfChina Wed 30-Jan-13 22:17:50

I can't recommend dresses highly enough for work wear. They're a complete outfit, you don't need to coordinate much and so easy to wear.

I use Dorothy Perkins, Oasis and French Connection but have a fab shift dress from Tesco!

Lexiesinclair Wed 30-Jan-13 22:15:04

Thanks Remus. I fancy a pencil skirt so I'll look at M&S.
And I didn't know Hobbs had an outlet, I always thought they were lovely but a bit pricey, I'll look there too.
I don't have to be too smart - I'll be working in a school but it's quite a smart one IYKWIM.

How smart do you need to be? Hobbs jackets are v good and they have some v good reductions on their outlet site. So they are not cheap but even just one would be v useful on any days you need to be smart.

I like M&S cotton pencil skirts - they are cheap but wash well (check for cotton not polyester though).

Agree that basic tops and a few scarves would help you to wear a few basics (eg a black jacket and pencil skirt or a black jersey dress) in different ways.

Lexiesinclair Wed 30-Jan-13 22:03:23

Thanks Belleat40, I have a scarf obsession so could wear a scarf with those plain tops too. Sainsburys tomorrow for me then!

belleat40 Wed 30-Jan-13 21:59:11

I found the plain long sleeved tops from sainsburys good this winter. Wear them with a jacket or cardigan and accessorize with chunky necklaces.

Lexiesinclair Wed 30-Jan-13 21:48:08

Thanks Pepsiesmammy, I'll have a look at Sainsburys.
I've heard Sainsburys is good, quality wise. I want to get a few decent things, without spending too much - ie not polyester and the like - but I know that's a tall order!

pepsiesmammy Wed 30-Jan-13 21:38:59

Black trousers from TU Sainsburys and few different shirts with a black cardigan and black shoes. These will see you through till pay day. I have bought a couple of roll neck jumpers from TU but find they bobble really easily. It might be worth spending a bit more on a decent cardigan/jumper. Charity shops are worth a rummage too.

Lexiesinclair Wed 30-Jan-13 21:26:11

I'm going back to work after 6 years of being a SAHM and I need a basic wardrobe to get me started. For the past few years I've lived in jeans and trainers and I'm looking forward to smartening myself up, but feel a bit clueless now when it comes to workwear.
Any ideas? It needs to be as cheap as possible!
Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now