Horrendous allergic reaction to eye make up remover. Any other horror stories?

(9 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 30-Jan-13 21:39:51

Please come on to allergy boards here and also contact Anaphylaxis campaign with list of ingredients as they will be able to tell you which are the most likely culprits so you can avoid in futuresmile

nipersvest Wed 30-Jan-13 20:56:39

i used oil of ulay (this was before it changed it's name) hypo allergenic face wash and it quite literally burnt my face. had to get some cream from the doctor to treat it.

Maraki Wed 30-Jan-13 20:36:28

I've had many allergic reactions to eye products and I only use baby oil now to take my makeup off (trick is to wet eyeliner and mascara first to loosen it then wipe with the oil). The worst reaction I had was with loreal makeup remover which I had been using for years. I rung the company and they said they had changed the formula slightly, so that explains it.

OP you say that your eyelids were pussy. I think you suffered an infection (yes they can be that acute) as allegies dont weep pus. If it was an allergy only, your skin would be puffy, pink, itchy, scaly. If its an infection, your eyes would be very swollen and weep pus or green discharge. I've had both and disinfected the contents of my makeup bag with dettol just in case.

You have my sympathy, hope it settles soon. Its actually very common.

Foggles Wed 30-Jan-13 20:36:25

Yes, I used a particular eyeliner from Covergirl for years and years.

One day I felt my eyes watering & the lower lids where I had applied the liner stinging like they were burnt. I immediately removed all my make up but I was left with what looked like red eyeliner for a couple of days. My eyes also swollen up really bad and I had huge puffy bags under my eyes.

Stupidly, because I couldn't believe that I could be allergic to something I had used for so long, I tried it again a few days later and got the same reaction.

thehamburglar Wed 30-Jan-13 20:30:11

Ha! I bought some Clinique products and was given a free sample of All About Eyes. I had a horrible reaction and the skin around my eyes puffed up - my eyes looked like two lost currants in a mound of dough. Unfortunately, I had to go to a wedding like this and meet a group of my boyfriend's mates for the first time.

StinkyWicket Wed 30-Jan-13 20:27:04

I have that and each subsequent use it irritates my skin more. Waste of bloody money for something that's supposed to be so 'pure'.

faustina Wed 30-Jan-13 20:13:59

apparently it can just sometimes come out of the blue, even if you've used a product before. When something similar happened to me with a face cream, my gp said to make sure I found out what was in it and avoid in future. I agree with the antihistamine as above - it might make you a bit more comfortable. Poor you!

FlipFlopFloss Wed 30-Jan-13 20:10:55

No advice but I can sympathise. Has my brows waxed at my usual salon on Monday. They felt a zingy afterwards and were very pink. I woke in the middle of the night and my eyes were puffed up. Took an anithistamine but still woke up to eyes that would hardly open.

Her I am tonight and they a still very puffy. Really pissed off.

ToothGah Wed 30-Jan-13 20:07:46

Last night before I went to bed I took my eye make up off using Clinique's Take The Day Off (I've used it before but not often).

Within 20 minutes I realised my eyelids felt sore, so I went to look in the mirror. It was awful, I looked like a frog. My eyelids were weeping pus, bright red and swollen to about treble their normal thickness sad

I bathed them in cold water and tried to sleep. Took an antihistamine as well.

This morning they were still swollen but not so bad. Tonight they are still sore and actually scabby on the lids around the eyelash line sad

WTF has happened here? I've used this product before with no problems. Any recommendations for products to soothe and heal as well please?

Has anybody else had something similar happen? I'm scared I'm going to be allergic to other products now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now