A Crepey is not just for Christmas...

(1000 Posts)
oldqueencrepey Wed 30-Jan-13 08:43:47

It had to be done.
Phew that feels better.
Over here crepeys. All very welcome (but only if you're crepey).

bigTillyMint Sun 03-Mar-13 15:59:56

MI, you and Herbs!

herbaceous Sun 03-Mar-13 19:53:47

Today my dress, leggings, scarf, socks and pants were all from M. J Sainsbury's exclusive TU range. And many compliments they garnered too. The other day I bought a rather nice wrap-type dress in a 60s-style blue, black and white pattern. Looking forward to a suitable occasion.

Spent this afternoon being fed by fabulous pals. Pork stuffed with kale, sausagemeat, mushrooms, etc, delicious amaretto-spiked cheesecake, and more wine and fizz than necessary for a Sunday. DS entranced by their collection of Sylvanian Family hotel, restaurant, camper van and canal boat. I'm very pleased - I'd love an excuse to buy Sylvanian Families until the joint account runs dry.

CointreauVersial Sun 03-Mar-13 20:21:01

I sympathise on the clothing front, BTM; I think there is a massive gap in the market for preteens who are too big for kid's clothes (or no longer want Spiderman teeshirts or pink cardigans), but not quite tall/heavy enough for adult clothes. Particularly for boys.

DS is 13, but has only sprouted in the last six months. He can wear men's Small size tops, although the arms and body are usually too long, but he isn't tall enough for trousers. Finding age 13-14 in the shops is a massive challenge - Next sell this size online, but not instore, and sometimes we can find something in H&M or Gap. And adult clothes are 20% more because of the VAT....angry

It's my Dragon's Den idea, a shop that would bridge that gap! Anyone care to invest?

Anyway, family have pushed off. My brother and family didn't make it, because his 2yo had a dodgy tum (fair excuse, better than the last time when he phoned to say he couldn't make it because "his tyres were bald"hmm ), so it was just the 10 of us, phew. I'm looking forward to an early night.

wilbur Sun 03-Mar-13 20:39:35

Well done to your dd, alto - that's a lovely thing for her to do, not surprised you felt proud.

BTM - wow your boy is tall! Ds1 is just 12 and is 5'1” and we have started buying bits of small menswear for him, mainly due to his long flailing arms. He has not filled out much yet, but the shoulders are starting to go and he has these hilarious hobbit feet, so he's growing in a slightly random way. H&M and Top Shop have quite small men sizes, def worth a try.

MrsS - how did the eat-a-thon go? Due to an appalling clash of in laws big anniversary and best friend's 40th, I once had lunch at Le Manoir, followed by dinner at Tom Aitken's restaurant. I fell in through the door that night, drunk as a lord, stuffed beyond all reason and happy as a clam. My ability to eat is one of the skills that has not declined as I get older.

wilbur Sun 03-Mar-13 20:46:29

Herbs - sylvanian families rock. Dd still plays with them and ds2 will join in.

Cremolafoam Sun 03-Mar-13 22:34:18

Oh sylvanian families are so gorgeous. Is it the texture I wonder?

Loving the sound of everyone's delicious meals this weekend. My own diet has turned to shit due to working all weekend. I was actually in a macdonalds today with a young colleague ( honestly for the first time since I was a student in London 20 years ago) grisly...
So a bit of meal planning this week.
Any interesting suggestions welcome. I have two vegetarians btw.
Thinking;uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/617585

Blackduck Mon 04-Mar-13 07:20:41

Oh Cremo - that looks yum!! Might pinch that recipe myself......
As a veggie here curries are a stable although I am trying not. To think about food today - fast day!

bigTillyMint Mon 04-Mar-13 07:56:02

CV, I'm in!

Luckily it's shorts he needs for Thailand, so I'm hoping the leg length in the men's 30" waistshock (his current trousers measure 30" at the waistband, though he wears them on his hips....) that I have ordered from George at Asda! will fit.
Thanks for all your suggestions - I will be browsing online and doing some more ordering...

Wilbur, we had to get him size 9 ski bootsshock and he is broad too. Not going to physically resemble DH at all!
And no, my ability to eat has not declined at all with age! Although my ability to drink has, which is just as wellgrin

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 04-Mar-13 20:51:11

I had a bit of a mishap in the office today. I stood up and sneezed suddenly and violently, and my tampon shot out and nestled in my gusset. Thank God for tights with lots of lycra in them. I shuffled off to the loo looking like I had just shit myself.

The eat-a-thon was not too bad as dinner in the evening was a buffet with very light Sicilian food. I pecked at it like a gannet sparrow.

motherinferior Mon 04-Mar-13 20:57:10

Ooops, MrsS. Just don't go swimming with a mooncup.

I am having email problems but have managed a rather happy day of freelancing. Feels like coming home (probably because, er, I am at home and I freelanced for about a decade so it's hardly radical, dur-^ur^). Mr Inferior has gone to Amsterdam for a conference. I am going to watch the divine Mr Tennant in peace grin.

hattymattie Mon 04-Mar-13 21:01:55

Mrs S blushgrin - well you've cheered up my evening.

MI I'm continuing with Mayday from last night but wanted to watch Mr Tennant too.

Cremolafoam Mon 04-Mar-13 21:04:38

Watching mayday too. Creepy
Lol mrs s mishap !

bigTillyMint Mon 04-Mar-13 21:08:18

MrsSgrin

Hattie, I found that Mayday a leetle too disturbing last night. Especially after having gone to see Stoker on Saturday night.

DH is making a VERY slow job of sorting our itinerary for Thailand. I am trying to not get stressed that all the sleepers will be booked....

Stropperella Mon 04-Mar-13 21:09:33

Meh, that scruffy Tennant bloke looks like a grumpy weasel, imnsho. grin It's filmed round here that programme. As the local press keeps telling us repeatedly. I did come across them filming a bit of it on a beach back in the summer.

I do circuits with a mooncup sometimes not very firmly in place. I figure the clenching just adds to the good the workout is doing grin

bigTillyMint Mon 04-Mar-13 21:16:09

Wow Stropps, you are so brave! I have never managed to bring myself to try a mooncup, never mind during exercise!

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 04-Mar-13 22:04:25

I haven't dared try a mooncup. I had a cap once, that had a life of its own. I was lying on my bed removing it once, and it shot through my fingers and up into the air. The cat had just walked in, leapt up and impaled it on its claw. I don't know who looked more shocked. It was consigned to the bin after that. And don't get me started on contraceptive sponges (you are all crepey enough to remember those).

Blackduck Tue 05-Mar-13 07:05:28

Haha re moon cups etc smile
MrsS what was the outcome of arbitration? (That's not the word, but the word escapes me)

bigTillyMint Tue 05-Mar-13 07:35:54

I have never used a cap either - after
a) seeing a rather perished looking one in my DM's drawer
b) 3 of my uni friends falling pregnant when using one

Is mediation the word?! And yes, what was the outcome?

Blackduck Tue 05-Mar-13 08:18:26

Yes BTM that's the word!

wilbur Tue 05-Mar-13 12:23:23

I have just spat my tea all over my desk at MrsS's cap story. God, I had a cap for years (can't take the pill due to dodgy blood, although I did for a while in my invincible 20s anyway blush). What a palaver - was sex that worth it? BTM, your uni friends clearly didn't use the industrial amounts of spermicide (urgh) that I did. So glad I no longer have to play hunt the cervix on a regular basis - why does it move around, where does it go when you can't find it at all? Where, where? Yay for the snip, is all I can say.

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Mar-13 13:35:06

Oh MrsS, you do cheer up a dull lunch-hour.grin

We are avidly watching Mayday, mainly because it was filmed in Dorking - there were film crew in town all last summer. We sat there going "oh yes, those are the steps behind Sainsbury's, that's the petshop...."

The school scenes were all filmed in DS/DD1's school, and DS got very excited to see a shot of his school locker last night. It's not really suitable viewing for him, but he insisted on watching it, so is now mildly freaked out that his home town is apparently filled with weird creepy men with dark secrets who nick teddy bears and hide in the woods.

CointreauVersial Tue 05-Mar-13 13:37:51

The other appeal of Mayday is of course the rather hot Aiden Gillan....<fans self with TV mag>

hattymattie Tue 05-Mar-13 13:51:40

Yup - Dorking does seem to be filled with very creepy men grin

Cremolafoam Tue 05-Mar-13 14:00:12

Is 'The Moon Pond"a real place? CV
devastated that Harry from spooks is out of it already hmm

Aiden gillan scares me in this, but lived him in the Wire.

Stropperella Tue 05-Mar-13 15:32:08

Didn't watch either programme, but the local press is now full of complaints about the awfulness of the Dorset accents in Broadchurch. More like comedy Bristol accents, apparently. Oooooo-arrrrrr.

Spent my first few years in Dorking and return there regularly to visit the rellies.

This thread is not accepting new messages.