bio oil on c-section scar. Any good?

(22 Posts)
sammbell Tue 24-Sep-13 16:20:01

I use bio oil everywhere. If its dry or in need of some TLC I'll slap it on.

I use it on my face, but only at night but not every night, only as and when. Its great on scars, and just gives the skin a bit of a lift when its knackered looking!

DD keeps nicking it.hmm

jackstini Wed 30-Jan-13 23:29:49

I used it for mine and it is fantastic.
Also used it on a quite serious burn and the healing was much quicker, with no scar left.

Someone once said on here I think it has got something in it that replicates the stuff ducks have on their feathers?!

MoodyDidIt Wed 30-Jan-13 16:17:15

the coconut oil has helped my stretch marks as well. they are nearly invisible now.

just fyi - I used nothing on mine except occasionally a bit of whatever body lotion I was using when I remembered and a year later it's virtually invisible. The stretch marks are far far worse!

ladymarian Wed 30-Jan-13 12:08:35

Thanks for all the responses - very interesting!

GERTgert06 Tue 29-Jan-13 19:57:37

I had a huge operation scar on my neck, so always on show. Once healed,I used bio oil twice day on it. It kept the scar supple, preventing it from tightening. Now I have to look very closely to see it at all.

pompoochie Tue 29-Jan-13 19:40:35

It has been three years and mine is still raised and quite red. I thought it would always be like this, but I'll start trying some of these ideas to get rid of it.

SilverSixpence Tue 29-Jan-13 18:57:14

There was a sample of kelocote in the bounty pack supposed to be for c section scars

I used it and you really can't see it anymore, I was very happy with the results.

bishboschone Tue 29-Jan-13 17:54:54

I did nothing to mine and its literally disappeared .. The body is amazing at healing . Just give it time .

valiumredhead Tue 29-Jan-13 16:33:16

You need a cream/gel/patch with silicon in it for scar management - have a google there's lots of info on it.

MolotovCocktail Tue 29-Jan-13 16:23:22

Hi, I had a section in April last year and raised this question with y OB prior to te birth. He said that it doesnt matter what cream/oil was used, as long as it's suitable for sensitive skin/unfragranced. The effect is due more to you touching the area and improving blood circulation by the pressure and movement of rubbing a product in.

I started using ReGen cream on it from about week 5; my DM had bought me some and it seemed ideal. I guess I used it until about week 20.

My scar (and delightful DD2!) is 9mo now, and I can barely see it. It's turning white, all swelling has gone (that took about 3-4 months). I can't believe, really, that scar represent my daughters entrance to the world just 40 weeks ago!

Congratulations on your baby!

MoodyDidIt Tue 29-Jan-13 16:05:46

pure coconut oil has faded my cs scar to almost nothing

bio oil is just mineral oil really

swavesey Tue 29-Jan-13 15:27:31

I use bio-oil a couple of times a week on various scars on my legs and over a few years it has worked wonders. I massage it into the scars for a minute or so and absolutely love this product. Would highly recommend

meditrina Tue 29-Jan-13 14:45:48

It's the massage and the moisturisation which might make a difference. Think BioOil smells gorgeous, but it's essentially baby oil with tiny amounts of a few other things thrown in.

Hopefully Tue 29-Jan-13 14:43:52

Oh, and I do think it helped minimise my scar, fwiw.

Hopefully Tue 29-Jan-13 14:43:36

There is lots of information on dr google about scar tissue massage. I did some, but only v gently, and with (I think) plan vit e oil. Might be worth chatting to a nurse about before doing any major massage/rubbing though.

bigredbook Tue 29-Jan-13 13:42:46

To be honest I think 11 weeks is very early to be worried about it. My own scar took a good 8/9 months to become more whitish. At 11 weeks I think it would be best left well alone. For what it's worth I didn't put anything on mine at all and it has healed beautifully nearly a year on.

Mrsap Tue 29-Jan-13 12:57:07

A mix of coconut oil and aloe Vera gel had done wonders for my stretch marks scars.

I just put a blob of each into my palm and then rub them together and the mix kind of emulsifies and just looks like a v rich lotion.

Also, cracked heel balm. Sounds odd but it seems to have helped.

I do one in the morning and the other in the evening and the results are pretty good.

Hope it works.

ladymarian Tue 29-Jan-13 12:43:21

Thanks/ It just feels a bit raised when I run my finger along it, its not actually lumpy. Its really just like a red line.

It's very moisturising but I think the only thing that really helps is time.
I an a bit concerned that your scar is raised though. Do you normally suffer from lumpy scar tissue? Have you had it checked recently?

ladymarian Tue 29-Jan-13 12:19:06

Hi

I had a c-section 11 weeks ago. I had no problems with it at all but would like to try and minimise the scar. It is very neat but is red and a bit raised.

I bought bio oil yesterday to try. Has anyone used this with good results?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now